YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Robert110csw'
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find the greatest difference between Boyles law and Daltons law is the spelling :)

tin hat on

Reactions: J.D.

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
I feel that this could be a bad move on my part getting involved in this but...

Surely Dalton's law is more concerned with the partial pressure of a particular gas in a mix and the increase of that pressure as the external pressure changes with depth.

But Boyle's law is more concerned with an overall volume change in the gas as whole when the external pressure changes when depth changes.

Dalton's law does take into considerations the effect of pressure and volume (Boyle's law), but it is does not calculate the same things.

I stand to be corrected, as this aint exactly my strong point :)

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Robert110csw'
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ardhill said:
I feel that this could be a bad move on my part getting involved in this but...

Surely Dalton's law is more concerned with the partial pressure of a particular gas in a mix and the increase of that pressure as the external pressure changes with depth.

But Boyle's law is more concerned with an overall volume change in the gas as whole when the external pressure changes when depth changes.

Dalton's law does take into considerations the effect of pressure and volume (Boyle's law), but it is does not calculate the same things.

I stand to be corrected, as this aint exactly my strong point :)

Precisely............... however i must persist that they are spelt differently

:)

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
Boyle's law isn't going to tell you much when you are breathing pure o2 at 20m, except that the volume has decreased in proportion to the atmospheric pressure.

To find out why you just went into tox and drowned, you need Dalton's law.

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
ardhill said:
But Boyle's law is more concerned with an overall volume change in the gas as whole when the external pressure changes when depth changes..
Fill your lungs with compressed air at 30m, hold it and then surface. Thats Boyle's Law in action.

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
Coleslaw?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Jay said:
Fill your lungs with compressed air at 30m, hold it and then surface. Thats Boyle's Law in action.
As an administrator should you be suggesting such things even in jest??

think of how the HSE will look at the supporting evidence when someone tries this!!!

By the way...... you are right ;)

nutty

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Nutty said:
As an administrator should you be suggesting such things even in jest??

think of how the HSE will look at the supporting evidence when someone tries this!!!

By the way...... you are right ;)

nutty
Its wasn't meant as a suggestion :)

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
PADI-Paddy said:
I find the greatest difference between Boyles law and Daltons law is the spelling :)

tin hat on

No they are the same.

I cant spell either of them.

Welcome to YD

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
We talking about the Pikey diver again?

Oh, not that kind of resurfacing

1 - 15 of 15 Posts