YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have anything planned for this weekend or want to meet up at a site, either for a day or for the weekend?
I'd like to get wet this weekend and am happy to travel

Please reply on boards or e-mail at [email protected]
Mobile no 07802 530115

Cheers
John

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

Reckon Ill be doing something somewhere John. Give us the heads up on any plans or ideas you have as i`m Manchester based myself.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

I was thinking maybe Anglesey or perhaps Bridlington/Scarborough at the place listed on the boards last week by Peter (was it Primrose Valley?) - it sounded good. I know a lot will depend on weather conditions but I'd rather do that than go to the quarries (see entry on boards for Stoney last weekend). I'll be happy to go anywhere basically, apart from Site X just at the moment - I think that'll be favourite for next year!!
Over to you folks!!
Cheers
John

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Dave,
In another post you mentioned your pain and grief at not being invited out to the Farne Islands - what is the diving like there - it's a possibility for this weekend! Some info please?! I know Ben is looking for somewhere to dive this weekend - maybe we could sort something out.
Cheers
John

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

Sea Diving sounds like an ace plan.
If your planning anything, try not to make it to hard core.
Havent dived off the coast yet - only inland but I am desperate to try it!!!

Definitely count me in.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

John,
To do the Farne Islands you need a boat and a good skipper who knows the sites the currents and the changing tides. Some of the angriest waters you'll ever see is around some of those islands when the tides change.

On a visit there, the skipper pulled into a lee between some islands as the tide changed.. The water was like nothing I'd seen before, it litterally bubbled and boiled with loads of whirpools that looked like they would suck a diver down.
Mark turned to me, wearing the most serious and concerned face I've ever seen him wear, he looked me straight in the eyes and said.. "Kid, there's no f***ing way I'm getting in that" I laughed so hard I though I was gonna follow through... Wiping away tears of laughter I told him that we were just waiting for the tides to change, and sure enough half an hour later the water was like glass... Its a wierd but wonderful place.

Ben
I wouldn't suggest the Farnes as the venue for some of your first open water excursions, although there are novice dives there, things can become very unpredictable and people have been swept out if they've ventured too far around an isle and gotten caught up in a current, some of which can be very severe, also its then very difficult for the boat to see you if your floating away with an island between you and the boat.

We reached the corner of an island on a dive but didn't dare turn it because the current was raging past, so Mark jammed himself into some rocks so that he was secure, we then tied ourselves together with a buddy line and he fed me out into the current like a kite on the end of some string, I just hung there laughing my socks off.... dunno what I would of done if he'd let me go mind, but it was great fun at the time.

But don't be put off though, at the right times and in slack water its great diving, and the amount of seals there will freak you out.

·
Killed in the line of Duty. RIP.
173 Posts
Imported post

Just got back from the Farnes about an hour ago. Seals made the trip worth while (up at 4.30am) and were very co-operative at both dive sites. Although I still don't belive the skipper who told us they NEVER bite :biggrin:
We were the only 5 divers there to-day, so mid week is the best bet.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

C'mon Andy

knock up a good dive report mate... Would love to read it, which parts did you dive, where did you park up for your SI, Did you see many seals underwater as they have been very illusive for me..... You can see that as I didn't get wet at the weekend I'm needing a fix, as I expect others are,  even if its just reading about a dive it'll do. ;)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

:yelclap: :amazed:
Hi Guys!
Well I just came off the Site x link which I hadn't seen before and I am well impressed. It seems that at even down to 18m there is plenty to do and see and it would seem that the prospect of being able to spend two days diving there would be well worth the drive up. I stand converted - is there anyone else fancies it for this weekend in addition to Timing??
Pse post your ideas on the boards and we can maybe get something sorted out!!
Cheers
John
:bang:

·
173 Posts
Imported post

Dave

Never having written a dive report you’ll have to bear with me and remember I hadn’t been drinking.
Tuesday 4.30am up and at ‘em I’d arranged to meet 7 other divers to travel up to the Farne Islands and dive the Somali (again):sad:
At the RV I was told that one had woken the day before and had chest pains, another was to arrest some-one for murder that morning and that a third had just dropped out last evening. two others were to meet us at the harbour. Remind me again why people don’t organise dive trips

Hmm the skipper had set a minimum of 6 on the boat, ooops.

The 3 of us arrived at 7.40 no skipper, soon after the others joined us and the boat skipper turned up, I got a bollocking, he wasn’t impressed that there were now 5 even though we agreed to pay for 6 and WE were late?
. :shocked:

No Somali :biggrin: but we could catch the slack water somewhere else, the skipper seemed to improve with time a lot of time (not a morning person, I suspect). We arrived at the site (I can’t remember the name but will post it later) and the water was calmer than my bath.

Skipper: The brief, get in the water, drop down, don’t worry about the teeth, the seals never bite. :biggrin:
Oh, and try to find some depth otherwise it will limit your next dive.
Well I don’t think the skipper had ever seen divers get into the water as fast no one wanted to be last on the boat with a skipper like that. :whip:

Anyhow as soon as we got below the surface we were met by seals, the vis was about 25 metre (I said I hadn’t been drinking). They stayed a respectable distance from us, some would come to within 7 or 8 metres of us, my buddy and I sat on a large rock at about 18 metre depth to wait for them, a cunning ploy that didn’t work. So we swam back to the wall and made our way towards the drop off. As we did we encountered more seals, vis was deteriorating to about 10 metres oh hum.

We explored some gully’s on the way back, finding 3 seals laid on the sea bed and several swimming around in front of us, as we moved nearer to the seals laid on the bottom, they would get up and move off, only to return to the bottom a short distance way.
They were so close you could have touched them (big teeth don’t forget) this game? seemed to take forever, them moving, us following, until eventually we came to the end of the gully which was a dead end, off they went towards the surface, as we weren’t ready for that yet, retraced our fin strokes. We were again met by, I swear the same seals, which stayed a little distance from us as we swam back, they also ‘buzzed’ us as we came up the DSMB.

On board we told our tale about the family of seals and what we had seen, only to be shown marked fin tips and told of seals playing with the other party divers. :sad:

The dive was organised with Sovereign diving and cost £25 per head with a min of 6, and as I said there were only us diving, it would have been beautiful even to dive the Somali, which is normally like rush hour at the weekend.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Andy that sounds absolutely awesome mate, I can't believe you had so much fun with the seals you lucky s*d, maybe its horny season and you boys were looking attractive...

25m Viz?? are you sure??...
I'll bet your the sort of bloke who tells the wife that this <<----->> is 9" ;)

Only joking mate, can you believe there was space on the boat and its only up the road for me, coulda been there in an hour... I could cry.. Do you have another one booked anytime soon?

·
173 Posts
Imported post

No sorry, next trip to St Abbs, staying at Billy's and is scheduled for the 9th and 10th October.
But might get one in before then funds and the wife permitting. Usually the problem is the mid week and filling the boat.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hi Guys,

I've had a mail from Davey Boy and John Holmes re this weekend 21st & 22nd. Are we up for a wet? Saturday or Sunday gets me vote - like I have a choice.....it's a weekend, right?.

Trearddur Bay?? Please say yes, I like T-Bay and it's only about an hour and half from my gaff. Davey, if you and your kid (Mark) need digs, I can put you up in the east wing;) so you can come down on the Friday or the Saturday night and rug-down.

So what's the scores on the doors troops?

Hey John, sorry for emailing direct mate.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Bren,

I'm only coming to stay if the butler and his attractive daughter are still in your employ....

Sounds good mate, I'll ring you later today.

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Hey Guys,

What happened to St Abbs on Saturday?

Is it posible to fit in St Abbs and Anglesey over a weekend?

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I'm planning to be there with my girlfriend on Saturday, see Divesite X thread  for description of me, my kit and my car, I believe there could be a small posse of YD'ers there from what was said. Does anyone else care to give a description of who/what to look out for?

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

Theres 4 YD`ers in T Bay on Sunday if your still there or up for a dive on Sunday (22/9), Meeting somewhere there about 10 ish.

Anyone in the area give me a call - 07968 327 355 for details if you want to meet up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts