1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

You northern boys seen this

NEW TREATMENT FOR DEADLY JELLYFISH STING SAVES BRITISH DIVER

23-year-old diver Tim Saxon from South Yorkshire defied death after being stung by the lethal Irukandji jellyfish while diving on the Great Barrier Reef, Australia.

Saxon was rushed to hospital in a state of paralysis with his heart beating erratically as a result of the jellyfish venom. Unfortunately, no antidote has been developed to the Irukandji sting, which means that most victims go into full respiratory arrest and perish.

Australian doctors used a magnesium based intravenous drip to stabilise Saxon's condition. Marine biologist Maya Stranivasan was part of the team which developed the life-saving treatment. Coincidentally, she is a cousin of the stricken diver, but he only found out about her role in his recovery after he telephoned her from the hospital.

The tiny Irukandji jellyfish is regarded as one of the most poisonous in the world. As many as twenty people per year, mostly swimmers, are thought to be killed by it's venom. However, as many victims die of what appears to be a heart attack shortly after reaching the shore, an accurate estimate of numbers is difficult to come by.

16 March 2003

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#333399'>                     

OK count me out for any Ozzie trips
I’ll stick to UK waters, .the worst u can expect is a nip by a weaver fish.
Or a nudge from a porpoise or dolphin who thinks your drowning and tries to get you back to the surface.
[ happened to a mate of mine] had to abandon the dive and got two cracked ribs thrown in for good measures.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Strange what you find when your bored.

Its a strange feeling when your bored and looking through loads of the older threads on this site, to come across a thread about yourself that was posted prior to me even discovering this site. :eek:

Well even after going through the sting I have not been discouraged from diving in the slightest, in fact I begged the doctor in cairns to sign me fit so i could get back on the boats working again.

:asl: On a slightly different note, I read the other reply about the porpoises and wondered where abouts in the UK would be the best place to possibley get a sighting of these? are they as timid as dolphins prefering snorkellers to divers?

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Hey Tim,

Aye, we've a regular treasure trove of info packed into the YD archives :)

Glad you made a full recovery and are here to join us today :thumbsup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts