YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
"Right, done the pool stuff, what's next.........?
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I've recently been changing hose lengths. I dive twin set with CD, TDB wing. I have finally come round to the way of a 2m hose on my primary reg and giving this up in an OOA situation. What I want to know is how best to store the excess hose. I have tried two hose clips down the side of the wing which means the hose can be deployed and then restored if need be quite easily, or I have the option f loosing it inside of the bungees on the wing. If you have any thoughts on either way I'd appreciate your input.

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Some cave divers wrap it round their necks, in the event of an OOA situation it just comes off by dipping your head forward and lifting the reg up!, no clips required.

James  

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Imported post

You can run it down under your right arm, up around the left hand side of your neck and behind your head. This is known as the hogarthian or DIR style.

Or you can put two lengths of bungee cord around your cylinder and stow the excess hose under the bungee.

It sounds like you could also stow it in the bungees of your wing.

Try it each way and see which way you prefer.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>Hi,

I dive this set up and find the method of 'around the neck' really comfortable.

Comes down your RIGHT side, tucks under your CD Waist poket, comes across your chest (bottom right to top left) around the left of your neck and into your mouth from the right.

Try - it's very comfortable.

Can be a bit tricky if you're wearing a stage tho.

Juz

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>This is the very same question I've been considering. Currently I have both reg's on std. length hoses bungeed around my neck, as this allows me to drop reg when I switch to deco gas without having to worry about stowing. To date I have little experience using the twin set but can see that in an OOA scenario practical help is limited to me removing my primary reg from around my neck and offering to buddy - not satisfactory.

I had planned to call into my LDS tomorrow and get a longer hose for this reason, however what is the recommended method for routing and clipping off of primary hose when switching to deco gas? My thoughts are that I would loop around neck but how does this sit when I have to switch or if I have a 1st stage failure and have to switch to secondary reg (still on bungee around neck)? do I use a clip to attach to d-ring or will it hang unobtrusively by it's own weight?

gareth

·
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Cheers guys, I had tried a couple of ways, the round the neck method I really wasn't sure about especially after reading about somebody getting tangled when not expecting an OOA budy, granted that was in another forum. The most common way seems to be looped inside the bungees, but I wasn't sure how easy this would come out if it was required. I tried two hose clips tie wrapped to the right side of the wing this seemed to work but the question was why don't you just put it inside the bungees on the wing.Still not sure.

·
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi Gareth my second reg is around my neck and can be got at easily if required. At the moment the way things are set up is pretty much the way that Mark suggested the extra hose is bungeed to my cylinder.
To be honest haven't got as far as stages yet so will have to let you sort that out and steal your ideas later!

·
The Artist formerly known as 'John Duncan'
364 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (j.w. @ Feb. 29 2004,21:44)]Cheers guys, I had tried a couple of ways, the round the neck method I really wasn't sure about especially after reading about somebody getting tangled when not expecting an OOA budy, granted that was in another forum. The most common way seems to be looped inside the bungees, but I wasn't sure how easy this would come out if it was required. I tried two hose clips tie wrapped to the right side of the wing this seemed to work but the question was why don't you just put it inside the bungees on the wing.Still not sure.
<font color='#F52887'>DO NOT put the hose into the wing bungees, it will interfere with the proper function of the bladder. bungee it down the side of the tank like I do, and it comes out easily if you want it to ( and sometimes when you dont) do not worry about that, try it and see.
p.s. I use the same wing

·
Registered
313 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I'd second Johns post, bungie to the side of the tanks and then bring the red end back up over the shoulder. Nice and streamlined.

I bought two 9"  bungie loops with round toggles already fitted from B&Q for about 80p.

Stu.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>not a fan of the hogloop myself or maybe my hose is too long cause it just seems to get everywhere, was tucking into wing bungies but will move to tank bungy i think

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

I used a 1.5m hose on my single & wing and found the hog route very uncomfortable. I lent the hose to a mate, he found the same and bought a 2m which is ok for him, John Gulliver is happy hog loop and 1.5m, so I suppose it depends on your physical shape.
I buddied a mate and he deployed his long hose to me, he went on his pony, nr the end of the dive he signalled me to put his long hose back and I should finish the ascent on my pony. I did as he asked, re-stowing his long hose, he couldnt get to it and his pony nearly ran out, with him unable to get to the gas in his main tank. So be very careful about stowing a long hose, or brief your buddy before hand. It was a silly mistake, no harm came to either of us, but had we needed to stay in water for much longer it could have got nasty.

I now use twinverts and find the 1.5m on my secondary and the 2m on my primary ok, in the garage. I used the 1.5 on my primary until I got the 2m last weekend, neither are bungeed or stowed but hog looped.

HTH
Matt

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Imported post

If you tuck the hose in your wing bungies then there's a chance that when your wing is inflated this may restrict the hose being pulled out of the wing bungies.

Hog loop or cylinder bungies are the best options.

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Ok,

I've had a rare attack of helpful, with the CD wing all of the above work, the problem with a 2M hose and a Hog Loop if the rest of your kit is non-DIR is there is no torch to tuck it under and keep it nice and safe. I have seen them floating all over the place, an accident waiting to happen. It is this reason I bungie mine to the side of the tank and use a hog loop only if I have had to deploy it.

Into the wing bungie, works for Mark Chase, is a breeze to get out if you need it, I have never seen it disturb the function of the wing, nor fall out or even catch on anything, and Mark and I have squeezed into some fairly silly holes in wrecks.

Down the tank is my choice, as stated above I don't use a hog loop because I can't keep it neat during the dive. I use 7mm rubber tubing, much like surgical tubing only made from rubber (duh). If you make the bottom one tighter than the top it holds it a bit more safely in place as well as allowing easy deployment, the topone needs to be just tight enough to hold it against the tank, not to just pull away on its own when you turn your head.

The drawing below shos the best way to coil it up to prevent tangles when you pull it, you don't want any plastic bobbles as they could make it hard to pull in a panic (Drew this myself, bet you can't tell).

Andrew

·
Registered
483 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>I use a 2m hose down the side of my tanks, kept in place by cut up tyre inner tube!  Works really well. If I need to use it it comes out fine. With regard to re-stowing it, I don't bother putting back down my tanks, as it takes too long and too much effort. Just use the hog method to get to surface, then re-stow it on the surface for next dive.
Jen

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]the problem with a 2M hose and a Hog Loop if the rest of your kit is non-DIR is there is no torch to tuck it under and keep it nice and safe
I'm not using a cannister at the moment, but the 2m long hose stays in place just fine if you tuck it into your waist strap...

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (andyp @ Mar. 01 2004,14:13)]the problem with a 2M hose and a Hog Loop if the rest of your kit is non-DIR is there is no torch to tuck it under and keep it nice and safe.
<font color='#F52887'>The alternative solution to my defective hoglooping is that i buy a nice shiney new torch to tuck it under  

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm not using a cannister at the moment, but the 2m long hose stays in place just fine if you tuck it into your waist strap...
OH!!!!!, I shall remain quiet.

Andrew

·
Registered
130 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Mar. 01 2004,14:52)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]the problem with a 2M hose and a Hog Loop if the rest of your kit is non-DIR is there is no torch to tuck it under and keep it nice and safe
I'm not using a cannister at the moment, but the 2m long hose stays in place just fine if you tuck it into your waist strap...
You can also tuck it under a small knife which is positioned at the front on the waistband to the left of the waistband buckle.

Does the same as what the cannister torch would do. Keeps it all neat and stops any hose from floating away.

Works the same with singles and twins.

Regards, Ian.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

OK I use a TDB wing and I have had the hose hog rigged (around my neck) bungeed to the tanks and bungeed in the wing and I have settled on bungeed in my wing.

The wing is only fully inflated on the surface so its not a problem deploying the hose under water and I found deploying in on the tanks a minor problem if you happen to pull the hose out of the bottom bungee on kitting up. There is no way your putting it back again and you can end up doing the dive with a big loop of hose sticking out which is not a good thing.

Hog loop is fantastic deploys easily and I never had a problem with dangleys but as I use one stage left one stage right it is totally useless for deco diving. IF you want to mount ALL your stages left then the hog loop is best but I don’t so I bungee in the wing.

I have deployed in anger once using this method and its no problem at all it just needs a good tug.

DO NOT put the hose in one big loop all down one side. Put two small loops in the wing one across the top of the head and the other down the side of the wing. This makes the position of the regulator more comfortable and aids rapid deployment

ATB

Mark Chase

·
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>[QUOTE DO NOT put the hose in one big loop all down one side. Put two small loops in the wing one acrose the top of the head and the other down the side of the wing. This makes the position of the regulator more comfortable and aids rapid deployment]
Hi Mark, so loop behind the head first and then down the side?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts