YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi,
I'm currently in the process of switching to 'DIR' in kit configuartion (ie primary second stage on long hose, backup second stage on short hose and on necklace etc etc) and was just wondering if anyone had any advice they wanted to provide me with in regards to which second stages to get.

At the moment I'm thinking of either the Apeks ATX200 or the ATX50 as my primary (on the long hose), and possibly the TX40 on the necklace (on short hose).
Its really the backup that I'm mroe stuck on, I basically want something solid that doesn't freeflow easily(!!).
I knwo from personal experience that the TX40 is good for this but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

Cheers

TD

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Presumably you've already got two second stages, your main and your octopus. What's wrong with using them?

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

I use TX40`s on both the long hose and the necklaced one. These have never given me any probs - then again I have never tried/had any other than my TX40`s

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Got to agree. Double TX40s. Bullet-proof!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Dominic, it's not such much that there's anything wrong with them but I need to sell them to raise some cash for the new first stages I need (for twinsets). I am still deabting with the diea of keeping my primary though, but then that kind of hinders my chances of selling them. The octopus too is good but is just sometimes a bit sensitive in the cold and if I'm going down the 'techy' line I'm not sure how it'll cope at depth.
But you did raise a good point which made me think of different options! Thanks!  

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

The breathe off my ATX50 is fantastic.  Had the ATX40 octo freeflow on jumping in off the dive boat last week.  Nasty too, had to shut it down as the usual tricks didn't work.  That said, people rate Apeks very highly.

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

I know its not Apeks but I just bought a couple of regs which I'm well pleased with - Poseidon Cyklons.  key from left or right, proven to give years of reliable performance whatever your diving requirements and give you the breathe you want whether its a gentle breeze or (suck harder) a rampaging gale down yer throat.

I know their not sexy latest models but I love 'em.

I guess this won't really help your question tho TDave but I just needed an excuse to tell everyone.

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

OK, expensive but;

Poseidon XStream, I just changed my fantastic APEKS TX100's for the even better XSteam's get them to 60 or 70M and you will learn to love all over again.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Right now, I'm using a bit of a Frankenstein of Apeks stages:

Right post: DS4 first stage, TX100 second stage

Left post: TX100 first stage, TX40 second stage

I originally bought a TX100 with TX40 octopus, then added a DS4 and long hose when I went to the twinset.
Now that I've finally gotten around to getting a blanking plug for the wide-bore port on the TX100, I've put the long-hosed TX100 second stage onto the DS4 so that I could put the TX100 on the other post and therefore have no non-standard hoses.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I've got a cyklon on my left and a TX50 on my right. I've got to admit, the Apeks is a better breathe for me. I do like having the versatility of the cyklon, and it could probably do with a decent tune up, but the Apeks is winning on the breathability stakes for me.

That said, both seem fairly indestructible, and I bought both after they'd done a fair few dives with previous owners.

My only real problem with the Apeks is that the hose is a non-standard size, but if you're going the DIR route, you're going to have to change that for a standard fitting anyway.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Timing @ May 04 2003,21:47)]I know its not Apeks but I just bought a couple of regs which I'm well pleased with - Poseidon Cyklons.  
What those freeflowy things you brought to the Lakes

I take it you've got 'em set up now

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TDave @ May 03 2003,12:58)]Its really the backup that I'm mroe stuck on, I basically want something solid that doesn't freeflow easily(!!).
I know from personal experience that the TX40 is good for this but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?
TD

I use two ATX100's. I keep the backup in a state of de-tune by winding in the cracking resistance knob and setting the IVS lever to - (minus). It never ever freeflows. It's a horrid breath compared to the primary so when I switch to it during an S-drill I push the IVS lever to the + position and it breaths a bit easier.

You will be ok with any of the Apeks 2nd stages but unless you already have an ATX200 I wouldn't bother getting one. The ATX100's are excellent (so are the TX100's) and so are the A/TX50's. I'd get two of the same in each case.

What 1st stages are you using/getting?

Mark    

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Both 2nd stages TX40s: When I twinned up I bought an extra DS4 1st stage, attached my octo to it, original 1st stage (DST) serves the primary, total cost £70  

However if you really feel you must, you may want to get twin DS4s, thought I've never had a single problem with my DST 1st stage in the five years I've used it (I know the argument about the turret o-ring).

As for octo being a bit sensitive in the cold, stick an allen key in the allen screw on the side of the reg and tweak.

Steve

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

Cheers for that everyone.
Mark, the first stages I'm thinking of getting (and have been advised on by my instructor) are the Apex DS4s on DIN.

TD

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gavin Yates @ May 05 2003,10:48)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Timing @ May 04 2003,21:47)]I know its not Apeks but I just bought a couple of regs which I'm well pleased with - Poseidon Cyklons.  
What those freeflowy things you brought to the Lakes

I take it you've got 'em set up now
Aye they're in need of a minor adjustment all right - but when down under, ah they're bloomin' luverly.

So going off topic slighty (in fact better to pm me so this doesn't hijack the topic) any advice on adjusting them so they don't FF every time I jump in, without having to point them mouthpiece down.

In fact I wouldn't mind another attached to a 7L Luxfer jobbie (O2 clean all) - I'll have to look around for one.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Digger @ May 05 2003,02:04)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My only real problem with the Apeks is that the hose is a non-standard size, but if you're going the DIR route, you're going to have to change that for a standard fitting anyway.
(Pedant) Actually, the hose is bog-standard. The only thing that's actually DIFFERENT is the metal bit at the end that you screw into the 1st stage.(/Pedant)

The non-standard port on the Apeks 1st stages is definitely a PITA. Following my latest delivery from SAP, I'm now a happy bunny: All my LP hoses are now standard sizes and attached via re-useable fittings.

At long last, my necklaced backup is on a short black hose instead of a yellow octopus hose. I'm hopeful I won't have to route the thing under my arm any more.

And the reason it's taken me so long to replace the too-long yellow hose with a correct-length black hose? The ****ing stupid non-standard port size that was on my short black hose!

OH it was satisfying taking a Stanley knife to it and chopping it off  

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Timing @ May 05 2003,20:39)]So going off topic slighty (in fact better to pm me so this doesn't hijack the topic) any advice on adjusting them so they don't FF every time I jump in, without having to point them mouthpiece down.
Have you got them sorted yet Tim?
Hobby.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Imported post

I must agree with the general Apeks fan club - probably the best regulators in the world. Just to go against the grain, the only reg I've ever owned that has NEVER failed in any way is my Oceanic CDX Alpha 7. About £160, and Oceanics come with a lifetime free parts thingy as long as you get them serviced blah de blah... Worth thinking about if you're into annual services. I've had it serviced once in 6 years, done lots of cold shitty freshwater dives, treat it like crap and it just keeps on doing the business. I've had apeks freeze up, I've had cyklon all metals freeze up, I've had scubapro's freeze up. Not this though. Despite being the bottom of the range 2nd stage it gives a better breathe at depth than any other reg I've ever used. And it comes O2 clean out of the box.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Yeah, tried one of those puppies in the pool one training session, a very nice beathe and very light in your gob.
Interesting to know it's been so reliabe for you Jason, TBH  I haven't heard too much about them in that respect
Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

I have the same question as TDave...the difference being I live in luxembourg..well so what you ask...I cannot get Apeks other than by mail order and as far as I can find no service centres within a few kilometres/miles.

I go back home to the UK every so often but will it time with my Apeks service..if I got one. I do want to get Apeks but it's the servicing thing stopping me.

I got a Beuchat VX10 Iceberg, turret first stage,...well, for me it's a stunning bit of kit...tough as old boots and it has never free flowed even breathing at surface at sub zero and water o -1 cent...also my continental location means no servicing probs. I've bashed it and tried to freeze it, caverned in it and things....anyway probably a bit poncy for the uk diver but it's ok for me and never ever let me down in freezing water.

So...if, like TDave I'm also looking for the same set up...what would you suggest for a brit based on the continent.

Also, side mount set ups also...what do you have on your sidies...same all round or variations in kit...?? Be interested to know.

Graham

1 - 20 of 20 Posts