YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
In my experience, dry gloves are the warmest of the options I have tried BUT they are a PITA to get on (esp with wet hands) and apart from at a certain depth range you either have sausage fingers or crushed gloves (when thermal properties drop dramatically).

I have some 3 finger mitts (thanks to John Gulliver and Frogman) in 5 and 7 mil. These are better than "normal" gloves IMO but it awkward manipulating things with 2 fingers and a thumb (effectively).

If I bother doing much pond diving this winter I may look into the ring wrist seal option.

I have seen a Scubapro glove (I think) that is at least a semi dry and was supposed to be quite warm in cold waters?

·
Registered
218 Posts
"When the water is too cold for a Seatex suit, buy a pair of skates." - which I thought was "cool" (www.sea-tex.no) I had this company in Norway make me a few pairs of gloves from 6mm neoprene - I imagine lots of other places could do it for you. The design was "fingerless" ie a thumb bit separate and the other 4 fingers all together in a mitt. I have found them to be very good. My hands and fingers are no longer the weak link. Make sure that the thumb is cut sufficiently large to enable good circulation. I have used these with housed cameras and stages and it is fine - not the same though. You need to be patient and be prepared to be a bit more thoughtful in your movements and be familiar with your kit - and your buddies kit perhaps more importantly. I strongly recommend such a design for cold water.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
String said:
Some anecdotal claims from elsewhere seem to hint the viking gloves are the same as the SI-tech ring system gloves but i cant prove that.
That's because they aren't :) The Viking rings are made for Viking (Trelleborg) by SI-Tech but they are NOT the same as the SI-Tech rings - they are much better, in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
tonhil I had this company in Norway make me a few pairs of gloves from 6mm neoprene - I imagine lots of other places could do it for you. The design was "fingerless" ie a thumb bit separate and the other 4 fingers all together in a mitt. I have found them to be very good. My hands and fingers are no longer the weak link. Make sure that the thumb is cut sufficiently large to enable good circulation. I have used these with housed cameras and stages and it is fine - not the same though. You need to be patient and be prepared to be a bit more thoughtful in your movements and be familiar with your kit - and your buddies kit perhaps more importantly. I strongly recommend such a design for cold water.[/quote said:
If you want mitts with a thumb and the other four fingers together, Viking make them, mainly for the commercial diving market. They are considered to be warmer than 3-finger mitts but you do lose some dexterity.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
butter fingers

Hiya String,
I also use the Poseidon 3 fingered mitts and find my hands do not get cold with these; they normally turn to blocks of ice with 5 mm 5 fingered gloves! I have no problems with the dexterity side of things, but one disadvantage though, cannot give dive buddy 'the bird'. So the modified 'OK' signal (above head and wave hand) will have to suffice!!!! :zip:

Happy Diving

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its that time of year again. My hands are getting numb and painful in my 5mm semi-dry gloves and im not sure i can face another winter of this.

Ive heard fairly good things about the 3 fingered mitts - anyone on here use them and any idea of what makes and who sells the things in the uk ?

As for drygloves it seems people love or hate them with no in between. Are the ring systems irritating if not wearing the gloves and is there a set yet thats easily self donning ?

What would people recommend for the winter months?
half finger gloves
Anybody ever use these

I'm tempted to purchase them, but would like to know more about its strengths and weaknesses.

Can anybody out there help?

Thanks in advance

21 - 26 of 26 Posts