YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as some of you may know, i got twin 10s about 18 months ago and have been unable to sort out the trim despite trying all sort of things including tail weights.

i need longer cylinders. after an awful lot of thought (just trust me on that), i've decided that twin 7s are what i need.

since i detest weight belts, 300 bar 7 L cylinders look very attractive. the one remaining question is whether these will be difficult to trim and cause the same frustration as the 10s. obviously, trimming options will be limited as you can't shift the weight around to the same degree as using v/tail weights, but is it a significant problem?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks. will bear that in mind. the ear thing has turned into even more of a saga. long story, it's healed, but i still need the op (July 4th), so won't be buying anymore kit until it's sorted. egypt is also out for me.

·
Tinkering and a plethora of other pursuits...
881 Posts
Excuse the hijack. What sort of prices are you chaps selling 7x300bar sets looking for?
S.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
since i detest weight belts, 300 bar 7 L cylinders look very attractive. the one remaining question is whether these will be difficult to trim and cause the same frustration as the 10s. obviously, trimming options will be limited as you can't shift the weight around to the same degree as using v/tail weights, but is it a significant problem?
does ANYONE have a view on this? BOUYANT BABE was kind enough to PM me, but no other words of wisdom came my way. failing an answer, does anyone know where i can hire/try-before-buy 7 L 232 and 300 bar twinsets?

cheers

andrew

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
I used to dive 300 7s, and they're a nice set. I would much rather dive 300 7s than 232 10s. I have never managed to trim out a set of 10s properly.

Personally I'd suggest if you need 300 bar of gas in a 7 then you might want to look at 232 12s. They're not much weight on top of the 10s, and you have more weighting options to move lead around. Worth trying while you're there with the 7s, anyway.

There must be YDers out there who could lend you a set for a dive. Might be worth trying a new thread in planned trips and spare spaces?

I would say you are more arse heavy with the 300s, and more head havy with the 232s. Not sure why. Maybe it's the thicker walls and base. But it would be easy enough to stick a decent sized tail weight on a set of 232s which would bring your feet down in a big way. Not so easy with the 10s because they aren't really long enough for the weight to get low enough, if you know what I mean.

Digs.

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
does ANYONE have a view on this? fiona was kind enough to PM me, but no other words of wisdom came my way. failing an answer, does anyone know where i can hire/try-before-buy 7 L 232 and 300 bar twinsets?

cheers

andrew
Jeez, thanks :embarassed: :)

I trust you are still not sorted then?

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
I couldn't get on with my 300 bar 7s sidemounted. They hung down a lot. Like a lot more than I found comfortable. Sidemounted I've not found a better set than the 207 bar steel 40 cuft tanks I had. They're out of test and I've not dived sidemount for ages now, but they were lovely.

The 300s could hang down so much as to swing around a lot and generally upset the balance. Maybe I'm being hard on them because one hit me in the face kitting up once, but they weren't ideal for me. I suppose it probably depends on the harness you're using too.

Digs.

·
Banned
7,008 Posts
I couldn't get on with my 300 bar 7s sidemounted. They hung down a lot. Like a lot more than I found comfortable. .
Did you position them so the taps were up passed your armpits, you need them forward enough to reach the taps with your hands easily

The 300s could hang down so much as to swing around a lot and generally upset the balance.
You need them postioned against the upper body snugly I found. I tried with mine for sometime. Harder to trim than 232 7's

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I used to dive 300 7s, and they're a nice set. I would much rather dive 300 7s than 232 10s. I have never managed to trim out a set of 10s properly.
that's the jist of the problem really. my 10s have been sold to another YDer for single cylinder use.

Personally I'd suggest if you need 300 bar of gas in a 7 then you might want to look at 232 12s.
nope. just want cylinders that trim nicely, don't care about 300 fills.

I would say you are more arse heavy with the 300s, and more head heavy with the 232s. Not sure why.
apart from 'perfect to trim', that's the next best thing to hear. the 10s were the opposite (i.e. pushed me head down).

GREEN ON IT'S WAY :)
(edit: it'll have to be virtual, can't give you any more)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sipadan,

TBH I used twin 10's, had no problem with trim.

Went over to 12's due to the diving I was starting to do - trim also OK - TBH easier to achieve.

You are welcome to try them if you are down at Horsea/Vobster one day - I am busy for the next few weeks, but if you want to arrange something after that PM me.

NO obligation to buy - just try.:)

ATB

Roy

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheers Roy, the offers have been flooding in. YDer's are a helpful bunch. If I don't get sorted, I'll be in touch. Trim is a funny thing. I love diving with a stumpy 12 single (which most people hate), but couldn't get on with twin 10s.

·
more weaselly than a weaselly thing
3,628 Posts
Sip.

Have you tried Euro 10s. naks flogs them and they trim nicely.

/Z

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
another good thought, but larger cylinders = more lead and my faber 10 twins where one big heavy lump. admittedly, 300 bar 7s are about the same weight as 232 10s, but the latter need lead on top due to greater volume displacement.

i don't need anymore capacity for the dives that i do, just some redundancy and cylinders that trim well.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
In theory the 232 10s + lead should be less than the 300 7s out of the water. The lead is more efficient weight, so should work out as less. That said, I can't remember what lead I would carry with twin 10s because I disliked them enough not to dive them for the last few years. The 300 7s I didn't need any lead at all.

Digs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts