YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

What are your experiences with getting close to 300 bar fills with 300 bar cylinders ? Do you get 300 if you ask and leave the cylinders with them for a while or do you usually end up with 280 bar ?

Does this figure drop further with nitrox fills ?

Any views/thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>usually get 290 from Stoney, and 270-80 from Go-Dive but then it's free from them and I do slag them off online

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

Along the same lines, who ever gets 232 bar in a 232 cylinder? Some places think that charging £3 for a 190bar fill is perfectly O.K (no names!!).

Paul

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

If you are lucky (rich
) enough to own your own compressor you can fill your cylinders to whatever pressure you dare!

Paul

·
Banned
7,008 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>Someone elses compressor
and someone elses cylinders

I was going for 250

·
Registered
453 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Some places think that charging £3 for a 190bar fill is perfectly O.K
Take a pressure gauge along and check your cylinders when you pick them up - I'm happy to wait while the dive shop tops them up, mind you, I'm also happy to drop cylinders off and pick them up a day or two later.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] (no names!!)
Why not?
We used to use Croxley Divers for fills before we moved to the South West and Pete always gave us 240-250 bar fills - excellent job! Too many people seem to complain about crap fills and then not want to do anything about it.

Robert

·
Registered
263 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Paul Beal @ April 23 2004,15:08)]If you are lucky (rich
) enough to own your own compressor you can fill your cylinders to whatever pressure you dare!

Paul
Our dive club has its own compressor but there's never more than 240 in the bank, so you can't go above 240 usually get about 210 and have to top up when it's cooled down for 240!
I'm just glad I never invested in a 300 bar cylinder  

·
Stability - in an ever spinning world
1,080 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>i managed to get 360bar at 40% in my localshop just to see how much we could cram in.it seemed to last forever!!

·
Anglesey Charter boat Skipper
1,033 Posts
Imported post

i use to run 10l 300bar cylinders a few years ago before getting the rebreather .
great for single cylinder diving  blown to the full 300 bar but absolute horrid as a twin set ,far to heavy to lug about.
i would'nt advise anyone to invest in e'm unless  your got your own compresssor or have  legs like a russian shot putter.
how many places around the country can you actually get a 300 bar fill ?
i know at the time that the old 300 bar 10l twin set i had was heavier that the twin 12l my mate had .
if i still had e'm i'd probarbly be in a wheel chair with a shot back by now.
we see a lot of twin 300 bar twin 7s about but not many 10s or 12 s sets.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (narked at 90 @ April 23 2004,17:42)]i managed to get 360bar at 40% in my localshop just to see how much we could cram in.it seemed to last forever!!
<font color='#0000FF'>i hope you are talking about a 232 bar cylinder for that!!!!!

cheers
barrie

·
For the dives where one helicopter isn't enough
1,682 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (yellow butty box @ April 23 2004,18:21)]i use to run 10l 300bar cylinders a few years ago before getting the rebreather .
great for single cylinder diving  blown to the full 300 bar but absolute horrid as a twin set ,far to heavy to lug about.
hey, nothing wrong with twin 300 12's

Ok, so I really appreciate boats with lifts these days  

R

·
0 Posts
Imported post

I have had 7l, 8l, 10l and 12l 300 bar twinsets. The 8's were excellent, just big enough for me for two 30m dives for a reasonable time on each and the 7's were just right for the missus doing the same.
10's and 12's didn't last long, far too heavy to lug about for no significant gain over 232 equivalents.
After moving north and finding many compressors only filling a max 240 bar I binned all of the remaining 300 bar sets and replaced them with 10 and 12l 232 sets, these are much lighter and easier to move around.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>So elv when u getting a lift on your boats then cos I just got me twin 10s 300bar. See you soon, Louigi

Ps. If you want to get em full get an Eric!

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I didn't have a problem except Go-Dive. There were murmours about them filling to 300bar when I went in there, claiming it damaged their equipment or something. If they can't fill to 300, they shouldn't say they will. They never managed more than 260. On the other hand Stoney, who are normally very busy, can fill to 300 fairly easily I found. At least 280 every time, and not ridiculous on prices.

My only problem with 300 bar tanks with mixed gases, blending nitrox to 300 was hard to source, and with aspirations to do trimix I understand that's pretty much out of the question. SO I sold the twin 7s 300s, and got some 232 12s, which will do for almost all of my diving now. Very nice.

I did like the way the set was in the water. 300 7s aren't that heavy out of the water, and they're very negative in the water, which is nice. So I could dive with no lead in fresh, and 2kg in salt. WHich used to confuse a lot of poeple jumping in with 14kg no a single tank, when all I had was 2 smaller ones!

·
Anglesey Charter boat Skipper
1,033 Posts
Imported post

cheers for the warning louigi i'll get a stronger deck for when you come next time a few acro props under were you put your new 300 bar twinset  set should do the trick!

book you bed now there's a hernia on its way!

i'm not built for this weight lifting malarky rather you than me enjoy!
as for the tail lift ,a  trend started by the great south
hmmmmm

R

·
0 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Digger @ April 24 2004,17:08)]So I could dive with no lead in fresh, and 2kg in salt.
I didn't use any weights at all with the 8l 300 bar set. It was great, one less bit to carry around

·
Registered
263 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (narked at 90 @ April 23 2004,17:42)]i managed to get 360bar at 40% in my localshop just to see how much we could cram in.it seemed to last forever!!
Isn't that a bit dangerous  

1 - 20 of 25 Posts