YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've dipped in and out of the site for a long time (despite meeting quite a few of you on dives and at puddles), but I've come to a point where I need some insight.

I'm making the transition to diving a twin-set having dived a single 15 for a few years now. To get me on my way I purchased an ebay twin-set that has a set of 300 bar valves fitted even though the cylinders are 232 bar.

So I've been doing some test dives with them, and think I've got everything sorted for this weekend when I'm heading down to the coast to put them to proper use. Drop them off at the local filling station, and get a call a couple of hours later saying that he can't fill them because of the valves being 300 bar.

Now being the charming man that I am, I managed to persuade him to fill them this one time to get me out of a hole. He won't do it again though, and if he's uncomfortable with it then I don't blame him.

The ironic thing is that he's filled them before with no problem, but I think he only noticed this time because I moved the bands after one of my try-out dives, and it exposed the big yellow label saying "THESE ARE 232 BAR CYLINDERS" (and yes, he did over pump them previously).

Searching on here I found a thread where the consensus seemed to be "There's nothing wrong. They should be checking the cylinder for fill pressure, not the valve.", but I'm concerned this is going to be a recurring problem.

Is this type of setup common? Do others have problems? Am I looking at buying another set of valves and manifold, or would fitting 232 bar adapters when dropping cylinders off placate most shops?

Looks like I'll be packing my single cylinder kit for this weekend anyway, just incase I can't get a fill for the second day.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
It used to be common years ago, justified by people saying that the deeper thread of a 300bar valve was safer as it was 2 threads deeper. Its really bad practice and no way would I put a 300bar valve on a 232bar tank. The poor old bottle monkey pumping your tanks to 330/340 bar to try and give you a good 300bar fill when cold is just daft. Test dates should be checked and so should cylinder pressures, but in reality how would you feel if there were to be an accident. You have a duty of care, give the the guy a cylinder in good condition and the correct spec to fill and don't put anyone in unnecessary danger. Easy fix, put a 232bar manifold and valves on them and sell on your 300bar valves on here or ebay, you won't loose much and everyones happy.

Reactions: Two Hats

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
If you left them as they were, you would also have to always carry the fill adaptor with you, as there will be some places who can't fill 300b cylinders, so won't have the right whip.

If you really want to keep them, I would stick some nice big stickers on them, right next to the valves, saying 232bar only.

As Twinsetmad says though, probably better off to flog them:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I completely know where you're both coming from. It's just been annoying to have it bite me just before I'm going away. The fact is I'm going to have to try to get at least one more fill in them this weekend before I can do anything about the valves, otherwise I'm losing a day or going back to my single set-up which I haven't dived in 4-6 months.

That aside and looking forward.... if I get myself a set of 232 values + manifold, do I need to be doing anything special to make sure my bands (+plus other stuff) will have the right spacing between the cylinders, or do all manifold sets have a standard distance?

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
do I need to be doing anything special to make sure my bands (+plus other stuff) will have the right spacing between the cylinders, or do all manifold sets have a standard distance?
Measure them as best as you can. There is a small amount of adjustment on the centre isolator, but it's only for getting the cylinders perfectly parralel in the bands.
Different makes will have different spacings, although some tie in with each other.
What cylinders are they, someone on here would probably be able to tell you what th spacing will be.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Post a picture chap, and we'll do our best to help out.... there maybe someone reading this itching to do you a swap...

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Put it this way. If you had a 110V 2 pin shaver then stuck a 240V 3 pin plug on it, then asked someone else to plug it in, would you expect them to read the voltage label on the shaver or would they simply plug it in and blow your shaver up rather than getting the correct adapter to plug it into your 110V shaver socket?

Bzzzzzzzzzzt bang.

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
I thought about this abd bought valves from a shop online but asking my LDS they said they would refuse to fill it even though I'd asked / informed them. I don't know what a dive shop I'd not used before would make of them.

·
Registered
733 Posts
The filler should be checking the cylinder rating regardless of the valves, I have a number of 207 bar cylinders sat in my garage with 232 bar valves on, ask your LDS how he would deal with those.

cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Measure them as best as you can. There is a small amount of adjustment on the centre isolator, but it's only for getting the cylinders perfectly parralel in the bands.
Different makes will have different spacings, although some tie in with each other.
What cylinders are they, someone on here would probably be able to tell you what th spacing will be.
They're steel 12's, frogged bottoms (i.e. like a wine bottle) rather than round, but I don't know the make off the top of my head.

·
Registered
178 Posts
These cylinders do not sound like those made for the diving market as most will have round bottom.
I would suggest you get the cylinders checked to see if they had been made as diving cylinders. You may have been sold a heavy pup.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
These cylinders do not sound like those made for the diving market as most will have round bottom.
I would suggest you get the cylinders checked to see if they had been made as diving cylinders. You may have been sold a heavy pup.
They're in date (last test was hydro - Jun-09), O2 clean, and I've got all the certs to prove it.

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
You never dived an AL80? I would say most SCUBA cylinders worldwide are ally.

To the OP - I assume they are steel. Have a gander at the markings on the neck, and let us know what they say, especially manufacturer.

'Most' steel cylinders made for diving certainly have rounded bottoms, but IIRC I have certainly seen some steels with flat bottoms.
I remember where I have seen them, in Amphibian. They were in for a massive helium fill, on top of testing. Big things, 18s or 20s.

Just remembered where else I saw them - http://www.deepstop.de/halcyon-twin-161820-p-237.html. Although that could be the wrong picture they are using

·
Muff Diver Technique Instructor
1,390 Posts
iv read this and given it some taught . the cylinders are 232 , and the manifold and valves 300 bar ...

well as said the 207 bar alis use 232 bar valves and in some single cylinders 300 bar valves are used because some regs are 300 bar supplied .

for me its over spec . if you use somthing better for the job then gud . but...........the cylinder should be checked by the filler to be indate and in test etc . if the cylinder is in date and in test and if the cylinders are correctly marked as 232 and the valve is fuctioning wheres the problem ?

people buy 300 bar regs for 232 cylinders all the time .

no before anybody starts bout think bout the bottle monkey . if theres a great big sticker sayin 232 . and he does his job and checks correctly . where is the problem ? because i cant se one

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.