YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ive been using my 3l for a while now side slung on the old kit and really like it.

After getting the new harness and wing setup ive noticed clipping the 3l off and instead of angled down the side it seems to hang near vertically in line with the left shoulder strap.

I know on bigger tanks the rough position of the bottom clip but is a pony too short to apply the same logic?

Or is it my hip d-ring is too far forward causing the problem ?

Anyone who does side sling a 3l want to roughly describe the spacing between their clips and where the hip d-ring is ?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi String,
My brother had the same problem,he ended up doing away with the pony and got himself an AL40.He uses two methods of mounting it 1.. conventional sidemount(lefthand side) 2..Nose clip it to waist D ring on left hand side.Due to the AL40,s in water bouyancy properties,when nose clipped it standsup verticly.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to revive an old thread but i've recently come back from abroad and started trying to dive with this setup again.

I still cant seem to get the correct spacing between the clips on the 3l. Also, when it is clipped onto my wing when im standing up it seems to have vertically in front of me as opposed to tucking neatly under the arm. Underwater it hangs sort of directly below me on the left rather than tucked up.

Is this due to the spacing between clips being wrong, slightly wrong positioning of harness D-rings or is a 3l tank just too short to sit comfortably side slung?

Has anyone got photos of them actually wearing a 3l side sling so i can see the angle it sits it and preferably where the D-rings and the clips on the 3l lurk?

I've dived with 7l and a 12l side sling before now and those just seemed to sit far more comfortably than my 3l is managing.

(FWIW ive seen the dir-diver stage rigging stuff but still cant work out the proper positioning for the clips on my setup).

·
I'm back.
543 Posts
I wear mine side slung, it does sit at a slight angle... but submerged it tucks itself under my arm nicely.

Hip D is dead centre below shoulder. Shoulder D is where it should be (forearm across chest).

Any help?

Si

p.s. My favourite Pony tip ever, have an LP hose on the pony, bleedin lovely for inflating the SMB, emergency bouyancy if main fails etc etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine tends to hang far more in line with the front of my body than that when standing.

Maybe its how far apart the clips on the actual 3l are?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts