YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Hope this qualifies as a trip report.

I Think I need to introduce myself again. I joined YD back in March 02, made some good friends and got some great advise. I think there was around 40 or so members back then - Well what a success story this site has become and long may it grow.

I left the UK around 3 yrs ago as a relatively newbie instructor to become the expedition leader on Andros island for a conservation group called Greenforce. So I rented out my apartment in York signed a 1yr contract and off I went on the adventure (others called it a mid-life crisis)of a lifetime. On arrival at the camp I was horrified by how I was going to live for a year - in a tent on a beach! me!. After a few weeks I had adapted to my new surroundings and realized how nice it was to be out of the rat race, being back to basic wasn't that bad and the view was amazing! the diving wasn't bad either. The only thing I missed was an Internet connection - how sad?.

I left Greenforce after my year contract was up - I learnt so much about marine life and conservation from the various scientists I worked with in that year and also a lot about myself, met my beautiful fiance Jade, it was definitely life changing for me. I didn't turn into a tree hugger, but have a lot more respect for our planet.

Jade and I then went to work on a private island resort just a few miles away called Kamalame Cay to set up a dive facility for them. This meant we could actually earn some badly needed cash. Kamalame is a beautiful island and very expensive. We went from living in a tent to a $1000 per night suite and couldn't believe our luck. We set up the dive facility and stayed for a year. Although the place was paradise the fact that we were isolated on a island where everything was cosmetically pleasing became too much - we needed a reality check.

Last November we secured a deal to set up another facility about 40 miles south called Coral Caverns dive resort. We are still here and love it to bits. The diving is awesome and we have found 20+ sites that are world class. Being the first year it has been a little quiet, but has given us chance to get out and explore the reef. We are lucky as this area of Andros hasn't been dived so it is really exciting stuff. We also had Mark Davies and Tim Ingmire pay us a visit, I learnt more in 5 min with Tim about photography than a year thinking "well how hard can it be?"

I have now started to slowly explore the blue holes here - Andros has 170 of them - I dived one last week. It is called Stalactite blue hole and requires a 2 hour trek through the bush, but its so worth it - huge stalactites drop from the ceiling from around 10mtr down to 30mtrs meeting a underwater beach with land crabs running around - totally bizarre.

If things keep getting better in Andros I can't see a return to the UK happening in the too near future.

I will post a few photos from the last 3yrs if anyone's interested. The ones after Tim's visit are a definite improvement.

So that's what Ive been up - It was a huge decision for me to leave the UK, but thankfully one of my better ones.

Cheers Paul.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Good to see you on YD again Paul, and well done, fantastic stuff :)

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Hello again Paul, from one of the 40 :D

Your life sounds wonderful - glad you are enjoying yourself so much!

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Hiya Paul,

Glad to see that you're still luvin' it and hear the news on your engagement to Jade.

Hopefully we'll see more of your here and look foward to seeing some more of your photos.

Cheers,

Tim

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Hi Paul, welcome back mate :D

l know it will be a little hard for you, being a thicko, to write decent trip reports, but please have a go :D

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
You crossed my mind just the other day wondering what you were up to now. Glad to hear it is all good, look forward to catching up soon.

Mary

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
It sounds great, Paul. I've just been looking at the website. I was wonderig how easy it is to get to you. The website states:
Getting here is easy. The resort is located just 175 miles from Miami, via Continental Airlines, Gulfstream. Scheduled service and charter airlines are available. Coral Caverns is located just 35 miles south of Fresh Creek and Andros Town Airport.

Does that mean there are direct flights to Andros from Miami?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It sounds great, Paul. I've just been looking at the website. I was wonderig how easy it is to get to you. The website states:
Getting here is easy. The resort is located just 175 miles from Miami, via Continental Airlines, Gulfstream. Scheduled service and charter airlines are available. Coral Caverns is located just 35 miles south of Fresh Creek and Andros Town Airport.

Does that mean there are direct flights to Andros from Mia
Hi Paul, welcome back mate :D

l know it will be a little hard for you, being a thicko, to write decent trip reports, but please have a go :D
Hi Howard,
The next time I go treking to the holes I promise to write a report. I'm heading over to Mangrove cay & South Andros in the next few weeks. I have never dived down there so I'm pretty excited.
John - our website is getting redone by the powers that be. I find the best way to get here from the uk is to fly BA into Nassau and take a hopper flight to Andros Town. Most of our divers come from the US east coast and can fly direct with continental from Ft lauderdale to Andros, but no longer from Miami.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Paul, good to see you back on the internet! Hopefully next season I'll have to cash to come visit.

Good to see some more who've decided to go for it and make a success of things in the sunshine. Very tempting...

Digs.

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
I was wondering if you might return!

I've been chatting with Brett and it looks like I'll be able to convince him to come over. I'll be in touch.

For everyone else, you've seen some of our visit to Paul here already, but the full story will be in July's Diver - should be out in the next few days. :)

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Hi paul,

great report.. any room for a Danish girl with 7 languages by any chance at the centre?? lol

B x

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Hello again Paul,

I last saw you on the TDI Adv Nitrox course I did with Hayho in Feb 04. I was a fresh faced BSAC Ocean Diver, and had around 30 dives. I met up with a freind of yours from York, who worked at Rowntree/Neslie and was diving your old Red Twinset whilst on the Deco Procs a year later. I recall you were working at the Train Depo in Leeds. What a change has happened to you since then eh? I hope your new life really works out for you (two). I would love to fly out and dive at your centre but with our new son born in Jan 07 I can't see it unless I 'win the pools'.

Dave C

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies. Dave of course I remember you - so your not fresh faced anymore - comes to us all sooner or later:) Oh and give my regards to Ken.
I will post some pictures in the photography section.

Cheer's Paul.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
hi ya paul welcome back mate!!

crikey i wondered why i hadnt heard owt from ya !!

glad to see u back mate and will cacth up with ya later ps great repeort all the best leigh :teeth:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts