YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a house that's 50mins walk from the nearest station (I know coz I walked it on Saturday). That's just too much extra commuting time. Looking at getting a 50cc scooter just to get me there and back each day. I have a couple of questions though that if you could advise upon would be greatly appreciated.

1. Would I have to enroll in any classes of any description to qualify me to use the scooter.
2. Approximate costs of a used scooter.
3. Insurance costs.
4. Anyone know of any decent used scooter dealerships in Essex.

Many thanks,

Ian

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
You need to do a CBT (compulsory basic training) on one if you do not already hold a bike license insurance is around 100 quid i think for 3rd party. CBT cost is any where between 50 and 100 is a full day of riding around cones and a little jaunt out on the road has to be renewed every 2 years i think unless you complete your full bike license. Could you not use a push bike?

·
I went DIR... but my bungies pulled me back!
400 Posts
Depends on when you passed you car driving licence ( if at all ). If you have a full car licence issued before about 1997 then it would have had a full moped entitlement, in that situation you would need no further training nor need L plates. If you check on the paper part of your licence it will have the moped listed along with all the other odd things like road rollers etc.

If you passed your test after 1998, or dont have a car licence, you will need to complete a CBT bfore you can ride on the road. Its a 1 day course ( usually about 6 hrs), the price varies but my dads riding school charge about £70. Many bike shops will provide the CBT if you buy a bike from them. Once you have the CBT you can then ride on the road with L plates. The thing to remember is that the CBT will expire after 2 years unless you pass the full test for the class of bike you want to ride. If the CBT expires then you must wait 12 months before you can retake the CBT.

Cost of a scooter, a basic model twist and go start at about £1k new,my wife has a Y reg Piaggio Zip with about 1500 miles and it is listed on parkers at about £400.

Insurance, full comp, 35 yr old riding on a full car licence is about £120, TPFT would be about £80. Tax is £15.

As to bike shops in Essex, sorry mate not a clue.

If you have any further questions let me know, if I cant help I can ask my Dad (he is a DSA qualified bike instructor).

HTH

Darren

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
You know what they say about scooters though....

Bit like a fat bird/bloke (delete as appropriate)

great fun to ride but you wouldn't want your mates to see you with one...

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
To ride a moped learners must,
  • be 16 or over
  • have a provisional moped licence
  • complete Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) course
If you have a provisional motorcycle licence you must
  • complete CBT (you can then ride on the road with L plates for up to 2 years, also D plates in Wales)
  • to obtain a full motorcycle licence you must pass a motorcycle theory test and a practical test
If you have a full car licence,
  • passed before 01/02/01 then you can ride a moped without L plates (D plates in Wales)
  • passed after 01/02/01 then you must take a CBT test and obtain a DL 196 certificate in order to ride a moped
  • you must be 17 years old
  • you may ride motorcycles up to 125cc and 11kw output displaying L plates (D plates in Wales) but you must have passed a CBT course.

·
More yokel than local moi luvver
1,280 Posts
You know what they say about scooters though....

Bit like a fat bird/bloke (delete as appropriate)

great fun to ride but you wouldn't want your mates to see you with one...
At 4.30 in the morning mate no-one is going to see me :D
Really how come i was always caught leaving a scooters house no matter what time i left?.:teeth: :teeth:

Dave

·
Duvet Diver
1,862 Posts
Depends on when you passed you car driving licence ( if at all ). If you have a full car licence issued before about 1997 then it would have had a full moped entitlement, in that situation you would need no further training nor need L plates.
Darren
This has changed severel times over the last few years. The latest advice is here Information for moped riders : Directgov - Motoring
The other option is to take a CBT every 2 years and ride a BMW C1. It's not a fun bike but for what you want it's ideal, automatic with a windscreen, seatbelt and good weather protection
HTH
Simon A

1 - 10 of 10 Posts