YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been out and bought 5l of Mobil 1 (bike needs an oil change) it cost £40, it was £48 in the local petrol station. Someone surely is ripping us off, when I asked why so much? I was told that the oil price had rissen (no sh1t - I work in the oil industry) but Mobil 1 is 100% synthetic oil - so how comes that's gone up too??

Matt

·
Mad as a Haddock
2,206 Posts
I had my car serviced last week, oil was 40quid, but then it only needs changing every 20000 miles.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
You could always put cheaper oil in your bike!

Mobil 1 has always been the premier oil for performance vehicles and has always been expensive, Castrol R smells better though :)

Davie.

·
I went DIR... but my bungies pulled me back!
400 Posts
I hope you got the bike version of Mobil 1 and not the regular car stuff, they are very different and the car stuff wont do a very good job in a bike engine.

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
I agree that oil is expensive which is why I buy it in large quantities to save money.

I spotted a guy in a BP station last years who was buying a litre to top his Diesel car up and told him to save his money. I gave him a litre from container I keep i the car. I recon it cost me a couple of quid but saved his 13 pounds.

·
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope you got the bike version of Mobil 1 and not the regular car stuff, they are very different and the car stuff wont do a very good job in a bike engine.
Darren
thanks for the warning, however from the T595 site

Mobil 1 for cars V's Mobil 1 4T for bikes.

Started another thread but here it is anyway, response from Mobil:

"I can confirm that we have only the one formulation for the SAE 15W-50
Mobil 1 grade & this is sold as both Mobil 1 Motorsport & Mobil 1 Racing
4T.

Therefore, both can safely be used in either a car or motorcycle
application.

Regards
Fred Wells
Technical Advisor
Mobil 1 Tech Help Desk"

Have used Mobil 1 (car type) in my other Sprint since I bought it 72K miles ago, so far no problems.

Matt

·
I went DIR... but my bungies pulled me back!
400 Posts
I didnt know that, thats good to know, might get some to top up my Ducati.

·
246 Posts
It's been a while since I got any, but certainly for car use Vauxhalls own brand synthetic used to cost me around £10 for 5 litres, this was trade but would have thought that it should be no more than £15 to £17. Seem to remember this was either a 5w or a 10W.
Worked wonders in my car that got thrassed everywhere.
Roger

·
'we are here for a good time, not a long time'
781 Posts
I buy mine from Opie Oils you get free postage (normally 1 to 2 days!) and a discount if you join the members section (available if you are a member of a car club or car forum affiliated with them. Member clubs include: Opie Oils: Members )

I really rate the FUCHS Supersyn Long Life (VW 503/506.1 spec oil.)

The last lot i bought i got from his eBay shop @ eBay UK Shop - OPIE OILS: Castrol, Silkolene, Motul so i saved another tenner!

I am not connectet to them in any way, just sharing the great discounts to be made :teeth:

·
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One of the guys on T595 said Jack Lilley were selling 4T for a few quid more than 'car' stuff, given that I would get the 'proper' stuff. I run a Sprint, sounds like a tractor, goes like a tractor, so I reckon tractor oil is OK :)
If I had a Duke I'd be using extra virgin olive oil in it!!! You know you want to, she's worth it ;)
Anything you read on the net can of course be complete bollox, I'd check with Mobil if I had a Ducati rather than rely on some bloke who runs a Triumph and what he wrote on YD.

Matt

·
Registered
92 Posts
Whilst on the subject of oil, I want a litre of oil for top up, the booklet recommend Elf excellium 5w 40, I cant find any around here. Does anyone know if it would be ok to use another make of synthetic oil or is it not good to mix them ? it will be going in a Renaultsport 225 only 3000 mile on clock so not due an oil change yet !
Thanks, Colin.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Quick reply Martin thanks, I have been to the local stealers and they do not sell it :frown: (useless springs to mind), sell the cars but not the oil.

·
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quick reply Martin thanks, I have been to the local stealers and they do not sell it :frown: (useless springs to mind), sell the cars but not the oil.
Then I would ring Renault UK direct (tech dept or dealer support), get their reply in writing what you can mix with it and tell them the dealer that isnt supplying oil for their cars. Warranty claim avoidance clause springs to mind.

Matt

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Cheap Petrol

To go off at a slight tangent, I joined the MVPC - Motor Vehicle Preference Club for £100 per annum. Now I pay 35p for 1Litre petrol. It's 20 miles from me, but not such a daft idea as it's 10mins from my dad's house, so I go and see him - I'm in the area anyway. Straight up, no joking - it was on the Scottish News 6/7 weeks ago. It now costs me £11.55 to fill up from empty instead of £33 (rounded up).

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
To go off at a slight tangent, I joined the MVPC - Motor Vehicle Preference Club for £100 per annum. Now I pay 35p for 1Litre petrol. It's 20 miles from me, but not such a daft idea as it's 10mins from my dad's house, so I go and see him - I'm in the area anyway. Straight up, no joking - it was on the Scottish News 6/7 weeks ago. It now costs me £11.55 to fill up from empty instead of £33 (rounded up).

is there a link to it anywhere on the internet? I did a google search but couldn't find anything.

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Can't see one

is there a link to it anywhere on the internet? I did a google search but couldn't find anything.
I had a look before joining, and couldn't find anything. I don't know if there is another MVPC fuel station in the country - and if so, where is it, does membership apply to there as well or not and so on. Members are only allowed 50L a week but I can't get through that if I tried.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts