YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Taking on the jellies
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

sorry if this has been posted before, but i am a newbie diver and i have 700 quid i am looking to buy a BCD and a set of regs. I have trawled through allot of sites and i just cant seem to work out what would be best.

any thoughts?

Flip

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
What diving do you do now and what do you think you will do in the next couple of years?

With that information, the YD masses might be able to help.

You won't get much of a twinset and wing and regs for that ;)

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Hi

sorry if this has been posted before, but i am a newbie diver and i have 700 quid i am looking to buy a BCD and a set of regs. I have trawled through allot of sites and i just cant seem to work out what would be best.

any thoughts?

Flip
Just send me the aforementioned £700 and I will put something together from all the bits in my dive box. :)

·
Apprentice houseplant
988 Posts
Yeah, a pair of counterlungs, wing, hoses and a mouthpiece.

The scrubber and the rest of it will have to wait a bit ;)

·
'Caribbean' Ian
847 Posts
Apex Regs, basic ones, XTX40 and DS or DST4.

For a jacket style BC, go for a Buddy Ranger.

If i were going to buy another single Wing/BP combo I'd have a look at OMS, the build quality looks pretty good.

Just my opinion.

Ian

·
Taking on the jellies
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i was thinking of the this package from divers warehouse

APEKS ATX200/EGRESS + COMMANDO BCD

i am only a trainee at the moment going through my pool work, if i have this knd of cash lying around i will spend it :>

flip

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
at this point, gear buying can be a lot of stress or a lot of fun. no doubt, you will get many generic answers recommending apeks regs and buddy BCDs. you won't go far wrong with these, especially the regs, but i'd recommend you try on lots of BCDs before parting with cash. it has to be a good fit and there can be a large variation between for example, one brand's size 'm' versus another.

personally, i went for a scubapro glide 2000 jacket as a first BCD and it refuses to die despite some fairly heavy use and me bodging twins on to it at one point. it's been great for me, but may not suit you.

if you have a short list of regs/BCDs, let us know and i'm sure someone will have something to say about each.

andrew

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
i was thinking of the this package from divers warehouse

APEKS ATX200/EGRESS + COMMANDO BCD

i am only a trainee at the moment going through my pool work, if i have this knd of cash lying around i will spend it :>

flip
Get a second hand Buddy jacket from here or ebay...they are superb and indestructable...you should be ble to get one for £50 or 60 ..

Buy new regs...XTX50/40 and a triple console from Deepbluedive for £370 and that includes the postage and then you can put £200 towards a drysuit...sorted.

·
'Caribbean' Ian
847 Posts
if you have a short list of regs/BCDs, let us know and i'm sure someone will have something to say about each.

andrew
Too true, I too had a Glide 2000 which I hated with a passion, granted it was too big, so trying on a few is essential.

Tho I also had issues with the build quality, the D ring that makes up part of the camband kept coming apart (believe this is now sorted on newer models) and the webbing straps for the shoulder adjustment were fraying at the sides after only 100 dives. That said, here in the Caribbean a lot of the US Guides swear by Scubapro Classics (not available in the UK, I think they're mainly for warm water).

The thing I like about Buddy BC's is the build quality and the fact that they have an inner bladder with and outer protective shell, they really give an impression of quality.

ATX40's are cool, (I have these and wouldn't swap) not sure about the egress octo, I'd stick with another ATX40 myself.

You'll get loads of different opinions and will end up spending a few quid to find out what you like, I'm sure nearly everyone on here has!:)

Ian

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Sod the Buddy Commando, a nice single wing and BP should get you through to the next stage.
yes, it is tempting to say generic backplate, apeks single wing (cheap as chips) and home made one piece harness, but the thought of 'making' my first BCD would have scared the sh*t out of me!

·
Buzz
617 Posts
As has been mentioned, you can't go too far wrong with Apex regs. However the ATX200 is probably overkill. The TX40 or ATX40 is fine or ATX50 if you are happy spending a bit more for a couple more whistles. This will save you a few quid. Spend this on getting a better octopus (a TX40 rather than an Egress).

BCDs are generally OK second hand and offer big savings this way. The Buddy ones are robust enough for almost any second hand one to be a good bet.

If you do want to go for a single cylinder wing, the Frog one from Diving NikNaks is very well priced. I would only recommend this if you know other people who dive with a wing + backplate set-up and you are sure this is what you want to do. Otherwise it will be quite a bit different from the kit you are learning with and perhaps is a move you might want to make at a later date.

All the best,

Paul

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Sod the Buddy Commando, a nice single wing and BP should get you through to the next stage.
Oooh - you sound just like one of them!

I would say a nice comfy, hardwearing BC. Unless you are going to learn in a club with lots of wing wearers.

For regs don't spend all your money on a shiney promary and them get a poor secondary...hence forget that deal. no point have a 200 grade and then having to swap to the horror of the Egress when you least want stress. I made that mistake with my first octopus. Get two similar regs, the ATX or XTX 40s as has been suggested, or the Oceanic Alphas, which are good and yet very reasonably priced. I still use my Alpha 7 as a deco reg and it is a lovely breathe.

EDIT: LOL! Pretty similar to what Paul squeezed in whilst i was typing then!

·
Taking on the jellies
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks everybody

this is great advice, i have not seen anybody at the club using a wing setup, so i guess i will stick with the bcd for now. By not buying the 200's i will be saving cash to spend on other bits and bobs which is a good thing.

pretty sure i am going to get two 40's, makes sense when explained :>

flip

·
beware of limitations
3,443 Posts
It depends what type of diving you'll be doing. By the sounds of it, you're looking to start UK diving. If this is the case, then sod the BC / regs and buy a decent drysuit and undersuit i.e. the thing fits you and keeps you dry. You can borrow the rest from your club. Honestly, you should think about it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts