YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
just got around to registering although I've looked in on YD before.
I've done just over 700 dives but taken nearly 15 years to do so! BSAC AD/OWI so most diving is in the UK.
I'm just in the process of buying new kit as I've done ERD, I want twin 10s & Apeks XTX 50s but not sure which wing yet.....I find webbing harnesses uncomfortable (even with neoprene sleeves) so I'm considering the CD Sports harness or Dive Rite Transpac II.
Any advice gratefully received!
I'm a member of Dacorum SAC in Hemel Hempstead.
Cheers!

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Hi Lindsey
Welcome to YD :) nice to have you on board
You'll find stacks of kit advice on here, have you tried searching the relevant equipment forum?

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
Hi Lindsey, welcome to YD.

I guess you are a woman, so as far as the harness thing is concerned, you might want to try any for best fit before buying for softness comfort. Though I do know of a few women who have used the transpac.

Oh and the XTX 50's - do you really need the twiddly bits on them? The XTX 40's are the same but you need an allen key if you want to adjust the cracking pressure. But lets face it - once set, you probably want to keep it at that setting, the arm thing is still on the 40's so you can detune your back-up reg and adjust the main for a lighter breath if you wish.

Errr, guess what regs I use :)

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Hi Lindsey,
I bought a wing last Thursday after much umming and aahing. I nearly bought the Dive Rite Transpac system but in the end went for the Audaxpro Eleven Wing with comfort harness because it was so comfortable even with twin 12's on, and seems really solidly built.

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Hi Lindsay,

Watch out for that Digger aka Jack Moon. He's moving to your bit and fancies himself a little. Don't beleive a word he says, even the bit about him being in his early 20s. He's older that the Dude.

Dave C

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Lindsey, welcome to YD from another Southerner. I was going to warn you about Digger but it seems I have been beaten to the post by Dave (C). You would do well, as I am sure you know, to take Internet advice with a pinch of salt (no pun intended) BUT not as far as Digger is concerned :)

Kit advice - Twin 10's I have used both Euro Cylinders (Beaver) and Faber 10's, unless you are quite small you may find the Fabers difficult to trim, uncomnfortable on a rib and a little short, Beaver/Euros are slimmer and longer so trim and sit better. If you want to try an inverted set of Beaver 10's give me a shout and I'll bring them over to a club night at the pool.

Matt

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Hi Lindsay,

Watch out for that Digger aka Jack Moon. He's moving to your bit and fancies himself a little. Don't beleive a word he says, even the bit about him being in his early 20s. He's older that the Dude.

Dave C
He fancies every woman even more :) Maybe he just finds it easier to work in bulk mode to get over the failure rate :D

Welcome to the forum Lindsey. I think you can work out how most threads end up.

Adrian

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Hi Lindsey,

a warm welcome to YD, I hope you enjoy the boards, and for you own sanity put everyone above [with the exception of Triplefin and Ardhill] on your ignore list ;)

Good luck with your upcoming purchases.

Safe diving,
Steve

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Hi Lindsey,

a warm welcome to YD, I hope you enjoy the boards, and for you own sanity put everyone above [with the exception of Triplefin and Ardhill] on your ignore list ;)

Good luck with your upcoming purchases.

Safe diving,
Steve
Fair advice, unfortunately useless in the case of Mods and Admins :)

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
Welcome Lindsey.

I used to dive a Transpac Harness with singles, but since going on to twins I have started using a Dive Rite Deluxe Harness with Shoulder Release and a backplate and I LOVE it. It is really comfortable so I'd urge you to take up anyone's offer to try it first.

HTH

Helen x

·
Time and alcohol heal all wounds
182 Posts
Welcome Lindsey, I hope you don't have web access at work, you'll never be off YD :teeth:

See you Thursday.

Dan
(T'other Dan from DSAC)

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Afternoon, and welcome.

Now, it is really daft question... Have you ever been to Scapa and (if yes) did you lose anything?

(I found something marked Lindsey and have never managed to return it to its owner :))

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
audaxpro

Hi Lindsey,
I bought a wing last Thursday after much umming and aahing. I nearly bought the Dive Rite Transpac system but in the end went for the Audaxpro Eleven Wing with comfort harness because it was so comfortable even with twin 12's on, and seems really solidly built.
I've never heard of this wing, have you tried it on a dive yet?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts