YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, not sure this is in the right place as it's not strictly dive related..... just yet......

I'm after some plastic/upvc/mdpe etc pipe similar to the stuff in the picture below. The internal diameter needs to be roughly between 120 and 150 mm diameter and the wall thickness of the tube around 10 mm.... i need a total length of about 500 mm, (with possibly another length as a spare).

I've found similar stuff via google, but here is the problem. It is VERY expensive and only available in large lengths. I'm on a very tight budget, as this is for a bit of fun/experiment only...(all will be revealed once i get the bits together).

So i'm guessing that someone involved with the water trade/roadworks may be able to help?

regards

Steve

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
I've seen a couple of posts looking for this.

I don't think I can help but I have a spare length of soil pipe in the garage somewhere (110mm).

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
Go to a local building site/civil engineering company. I sell 6m legths of 150MM underground pipe (thin walled about 6mm) for £33 + vat, it'd be good to start playing with.

What you really need is some HDPE pipe used for large water mains, any water board workers out there.

Scrubber canister?

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've seen a couple of posts looking for this.

I don't think I can help but I have a spare length of soil pipe in the garage somewhere (110mm).
Cheers Scuttler,

I've been given a length of soil pipe 110mm dia, but it's just a little on the tight side.......

Steve

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
I've just asked if a mate can get hold of some scrap.

The pale blue (water) and yellow (gas) that you see on the roadside are both MDPE.

Adrian

·
R.I.P.
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Go to a local building site/civil engineering company. I sell 6m legths of 150MM underground pipe (thin walled about 6mm) for £33 + vat, it'd be good to start playing with.

What you really need is some HDPE pipe used for large water mains, any water board workers out there.

Scrubber canister?
Nope, it's not rebreather related at all. I'm not quite ready to attempt something like that yet.....that's next weeks pie in the sky plan!

This is what i'm looking at doing, although a lot more basic....Purely for a bit of fun and something to do in the evenings really......I've been given a couple of camcorders, so all i need is the tube. I have a mate who can machine the end caps/lenses to fit the pipe.......

·
Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam
13,407 Posts
Look for roadworks. I got a few offcuts when they were doing the gas mains near me.

·
Full Face Convert!
203 Posts
Thats the bl**dy problem. There are never any roadworks when you need them! Mind you, i found some nice tarmac ready for laying!!
There laying Gas main just up the street, I might go for a wander and see whats available.

Cheers, Paul K

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well this post might be a couple of years out of date - but I'm having just as much difficulty... After some HDPE pipe - large diameter stuff - OD around 273mm (10.75") and wall thickness of 16mm.

looking to make a longer hull for an SS scooter.

If anyone knows of someone who will sell pipe i'm not looking to scrounge - will pay a fair price. Just having difficulties coming up with any options at all. anyones Google skills better than mine?

cheers,
Chris

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts

·
Life is rushing past!
1,206 Posts
I can get hold of some ridgey duct not sure of the internal diameter though i think it is roundabout what you're after it looks like this but with out the joiner on the end.

·
Registered
31 Posts
hmm... not sure ridged will work - unless my scooter is gonna turn into a bendy one. Thanks for trying though.

cheers,
Chris

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
hmm... not sure ridged will work - unless my scooter is gonna turn into a bendy one.
The pipe in the picture is called twin wall, it is extremely strong and not flexible. It is used in larger foul water drainage works, not the flexible land drain type.

·
Getting Grumpy, Old and Twisted
3,115 Posts
The HDPE yellow gas main stuff sounds as if it fits the bill. Try scrounging some off cuts from the gas mains contractors who seem to be causing road blocks up and down the country. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts