YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check your bank account on a daily basis!

I usually do......and thank God for that.

On Sunday night I noticed a transaction for £205 which I did not recognise but more worryingly I also noticed that although I had a balance of X my available balance was X-£640.

I phoned the bank, disputed the £205 transaction and asked them to look into the £640 block on my account. They advised the block was from a "financial institution".

Yesterday I was travelling and so did not manage to log on to check my account.

Today I checked and the £205 had been refunded but my available balance was now X-£960.

A phone call to the bank reveals that they had been watching the account since I reported the problem and now are cancelling the card and PIN.

I've been reassured that my bills will be covered and that the money fraudulently taken will be returned.

The question that remains is which thieving scumbag has taken my details? I'm normally very careful about who I give my card to and what I use it for and the only places it's been used in the past 2 weeks are:

Intercontinental Hotel Park Lane
Chessington Tyres Christchurch
Tesco Dorchester
Tesco Weymouth
Underwater Explorers Portland
Delta P Technology Poole
and 3 cash machines.

My bet is the cash machines, the Hotel or the Tyre Place.

Anyway.....just goes to show that it pays to keep an eye on your account on a daily basis.

Only problem is I am without a bank card for the next 3 - 10 days :( so looks like I'll be digging into my savings :(

·
Retired
2,054 Posts
Check your bank account on a daily basis!

I usually do......and thank God for that.

On Sunday night I noticed a transaction for £205 which I did not recognise but more worryingly I also noticed that although I had a balance of X my available balance was X-£640.

I phoned the bank, disputed the £205 transaction and asked them to look into the £640 block on my account. They advised the block was from a "financial institution".

Yesterday I was travelling and so did not manage to log on to check my account.

Today I checked and the £205 had been refunded but my available balance was now X-£960.

A phone call to the bank reveals that they had been watching the account since I reported the problem and now are cancelling the card and PIN.

I've been reassured that my bills will be covered and that the money fraudulently taken will be returned.

The question that remains is which thieving scumbag has taken my details? I'm normally very careful about who I give my card to and what I use it for and the only places it's been used in the past 2 weeks are:

Intercontinental Hotel Park Lane
Chessington Tyres Christchurch
Tesco Dorchester
Tesco Weymouth
Underwater Explorers Portland
Delta P Technology Poole
and 3 cash machines.

My bet is the cash machines, the Hotel or the Tyre Place.

Anyway.....just goes to show that it pays to keep an eye on your account on a daily basis.

Only problem is I am without a bank card for the next 3 - 10 days :( so looks like I'll be digging into my savings :(
What a cracking excuse to use after shopping here.:teeth:

More seriously at least your bank are honouring your bills and refunding your lost cash.

·
I came, I saw, I dived
552 Posts
Fraud : XXXXX GARAGE, DORCHESTER ROAD, WEYMOUTH

I received this the other day from the father in law, to be honest he's always forwarding the latest 'scams' so I had pretty much ignored it.

Did you stop for fuel at all, thre is a garage is in the vicinity of your places where you used the card. That i received a warning about recently'

I stress I have no way of checking the authenticity of this warning, however, it might be worth a phone call to Dorset police

Subject: Fraud : xxxxx GARAGE, xxxxxx ROAD, xxxxxx

Forwarded by Len. P To my family & Friends,

As you may have seen in the news locally, we have had some alleged dishonesty and credit card fraud at the xxxxx Garage on xxxxxxx Road, xxxxxx by their employees.

I have been in to discuss the situation with the manager at the garage as Kate's credit card was cloned and used in Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia and Boulevard (Canada). You can imagine the inconvenience this has caused, although we will get the money back.

I too used the garage on 14th June and I always cover my hand when entering the pin number. I thought I was in the clear, however, these disgusting people have also used my credit card on Thursday and Friday last week. This has caused me major problems for work as I cannot function my company expenses without the card. Be vigilant as this was almost 2 months after I used the said xxxxx Garage.

Tips and Warning:-

If you have used this garage, the threat is not over for your card being fraudulently used. My was used in 4 countries in the space of 48 hrs, but they input the wrong pin and my card has been stopped.

Check your Credit Card statement and bank statements ASAP.

Report anything suspicious to Dorset Police ASAP on 01305 222222.

If you have used the garage, as a precaution I would urge you to contact your credit card provider and check your account.

If you PM me I will foward the message to you to let you make your own mind up

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Consider yourself lucky you don't bank with the Clydesdale Bank. They take fourteen days, yes a staggering fourteen days to issue a new card and twenty one days to issue a new PIN. These are their 'standard' timescales and they claim these are 'standard' across the banking industry.

Strangely Barclaycard managed to get a new card and PIN out to us on a bank holiday Monday even though we only reported the loss the preceding Friday.

No, we don't bank with them anymore.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I recently had a similar experience with my Goldfish credit Card.

I logged on to check the outstanding balance; and spotted a couple of transactions I didn't remember making. Checked with the wife (it's a joint card) - she didn't make them either.

All in all, almost £2000 of goods and services were bought over t'internet using my card details, including Air Tickets, Travel Insurance, purchases from a well-known department store and mobile phone top-ups. Sounds like somebody had a good holiday at someone else's expense (not mine - Goldfish have now credited me for the disputed transactions and I settled our transactions in full). The last time the card was used on the web before the disputed transactions was to re-register with Goldfish's new-fangled website to check the balance, etc. I passed this information on to their fraud department

More worrying was that a large telecomms purchase was made - was I funding Al-Qaeda's Communications? Had my identity been compromised as well? (We shred everything with a name and address on it , and have 3 levels of security on the home PC) Was I just being paranoid?

All sorted now, but it was a worry for a while.

Paul

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Shell Garage on Newmarket Road Bury St Edmunds

Shell Garage on Newmarket Road Bury St Edmunds

Some of the staff here were found to be cloning customers cards to fund the Tamel Tigers.

Personally I think this is another nail in the non supermarket garages' coffins. I think most garages are franchises and are owned by private individuals/small companies. They employ staff who wil work for low pay. You pay you peanuts you get monkeys (and that is not a pop at non UK staff).

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
It's not easy to keep checking accounts. I have two bank accounts, and two for my business. With this I manage 5 credit cards (between company, employees and mine my mrs. With the credit cards I think I have 14 days to complain upon the extract been issued (which can be 7 days before I receive it!)

My tip is the following: Have a box file, shoe box or whatever. Each time you pay by card keep the receipts - credit card and shop. I just dump them in the box and once in a month stuff them in an envelope, just so it doesn't get out of hand. When using the internet note the transactions and keep receipts. The confusing part is that the name of the store can be different than the receipt. If you have various credit cards try just to use one for credit card transactions, the one that has the safest assurances of fraud.

In Spain and Porugal most stores request for ID when paying by credit card. The funny part is the ID I carry is the foreign residents permit which has 2 signatures, mine and the director of foreign service. Totally different and the way it's folded (in 3) most shops just open in two to see a total different signature and still approve transaction! I even used my wifes credit card for a month by mistake!

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
my first thought was "petrol station". A fried of mine only ever uses his card for fuel, and when lots of transactions showed up in the south east, it was obvious his card had been cloned the one time he had filled up near where I lived, when he came to visit us!

Pip and Chin seem to make things a bit safer, but my card has now worn out after only 2 years use (I don't spend THAT much) so I've requested a new one.

·
Armchair diver and slummy mummy
592 Posts
Following Dave's email, some of my work colleagues (before I started here) were scammed by this garage. And they recently won a gold service award (or something like that) that was mentioned in the local paper!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.