YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dived the Sky on Tango out of Weymouth yesterday with a few of my regular midweek gang and a few new faces from right here on the forum.

The sun was shining and the wind was kind, so it was looking like it should be a great day. Kitted up as usual with no dramas apart from the usual feeling of sickness, infact i actually went to go twice! but excersiced a bit of self control, and well er sucked it back down.....gross.....

Finally on cue splashed in with buddy and decended the shot, i was feeling a little under weighted and my inital decent was a bit slow, upon reaching 25M by buddy, who was infront was not there! oh er..... So waited there on the shot for about a minute, then did a 5m out circle around it. Ah found him, so all is well. Dive was not that great with around 1 - 2m at best viz, and virtually zero life on it, coupled with a leaky suit and water of only 8 deg. I was on my safety stop and actually thinking on the way up, that the BO2 trip in feb was a very nice one...... :D

Difficult dive, but all ok.

So speaks to buddy and we both have decided that its dark and bloody freezing and that's it for the day.

Park up in lulworth for an hours lunch break.

Dive 2 (that im not doing) scalloping drift at about 2 kts across the banks.

So here comes my first mistake, after a warm up and a break from the rocking and rolling im feeling great, change my mind and decided to go. Im a Chef and the lure of scallops is just to strong.....:D

Gets to the bottom at 21/22m buddy puts up dsmb and i pretty much immediately lose him even with powerful hid torches. I pretty much knew this might happen as it was fast and zero viz, i was fine with it and was diving independent 12's and was perfectly comfortable being on my own.

Collected about 20 nice big scallops, which i actually found to be a little tricky flying solo.

Aware that i was moving at quite a lick at 20 min bottom time i decided to put my blob up. Figthing with my stash bag, the torch, the dsmb and reel whilst moving along in the pitch black is to be honest one of the most difficult manoeuvres i think there is.

Anyway the result was that i completely bollocksed it..... After about 5m of line had gone out my inflator hose got caught up, no idea how as blink and you miss it. So i ride the express train like a new york street gang member all the way upto 5m + inflater hose length all the way up, squeezing every last bit of air out of my lungs and suit that i could.

Hanging there at 5m all alone, freezing cold and in the dark i thought oh shit!!! My computer was going mental flashing, beeping and generally telling me i should be dead. Then i suddenly realised in the last minute rush to get ready, i hadnt reset my computer from the 30% i was diving on dive 1 to this dive which i was on a weaker mix for. Oh double shit......I thought to myself what a tit i really have messed this up haven't i.

As things calmed down and my brain and breathing slowed down, i could take stock of the situation a bit. My computer has stopped beeping from the ascent and was now telling me 4 minutes mandatory deco stop. I was so bloody lucky i got a few meters of line off first.

Did my my 4 minutes and decided i didnt want risk it, and would keep hanging there for as long as i could physically and more mentally bare it. I stayed there for another extra 11 minutues, giving a 15 minute stop in total. Then came up at 2m a minute to the surface.

Got back on-board and immediately told people what happened. Felt fine, very, very cold but no warning signs that a ride in the yellow budgie may be required.Not even a headache, I was so cold some people had to erlp me de kit and change. To be honest i was probably borderline hypothermia.

Result, did i make the right call, who know's but im still here to dive another day.

This was the first time in 200 dives i have completely ballsed an ascent,so it just shows you never stop learning....

Thank's, Gavin.

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Thanks Gav for this.

There seems to be a pattern with scalloping. If you read the first incident posted in this sub-forum you will see it was a scalloping incident of mine in a fast drift... :)

Regards

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Must have been a tad worrying at the time, glad you are OK.

Might have been a good idea to pop your blob up as soon as you lost your buddy. Makes it easier for the skipper to keep track of your location, and could have prevented some of the issues you had later in the dive.

·
Team HPDW - 10/90 for the Boys
5,435 Posts
I tend to agree with you Gav, 1 handed scallop bag and torch holding while the other hand gets out the bag and reel then all hands cross while you try and open the bag and get the reel ready then try and inflate the bugger and get out of the way at the last minute...
I only ever scallop on my own and I've never worked out how to do that gracefully.
It's only marginally easier with a crack bottle blob but at least no-ones around to watch the shambles usually :D

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
Glad you are ok Gav, I generally expect drifts like that to be more or less solo dives so I tend to jump in with blob alread inflated and keep it on the surface for the whole dive especially since in that area two divers who go in at more or less the same time can be half a mile apart after 20 minutes.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Excuse my ignorance here if I am asking the obvious (I'm a baby rec diver), but when you separated from your buddy on the second dive was this agreed between you?
Had you agreed, because of the conditions during the first dive (poor vis etc), that if you were separated you would continue the dive solo?
Or is this normal practice?
And if these were'nt newbie enough questions ... what, if anything, would you have done differently?

Glad you are ok and thanks for posting this.:D

Hope you thoroughly enjoyed the scallops ......ummmmm..... scallops!!
You mentioned you are a chef... any good recipies for scallops?;)

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Did you make the right call? well first off you are back to talk about it so that's got to be good,
but TBH ................

Phil (the skipper of Tango) is very insistent that when scalloping you have a blob up.
Soon as you seperated you didnt have one, so the blob should have gone up. That way you would
have been fresher, not so cold, have less N2 penalties, more gas and no bag of scollops to distract
you.

Even if you still messed up, all the above would have made it better.

Solo isnt bad, I'd happily carry on in similar circumstances, but if you get any fubar (seperation
is a fubar), you need to sort it before continuing and in this case sort it means the priority of
putting the blob up.

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
Did you make the right call? well first off you are back to talk about it so that's got to be good,
but TBH ................

Phil (the skipper of Tango) is very insistent that when scalloping you have a blob up.
Soon as you seperated you didnt have one, so the blob should have gone up. That way you would
have been fresher, not so cold, have less N2 penalties, more gas and no bag of scollops to distract
you.

Even if you still messed up, all the above would have made it better.

Solo isnt bad, I'd happily carry on in similar circumstances, but if you get any fubar (seperation
is a fubar), you need to sort it before continuing and in this case sort it means the priority of
putting the blob up.
All my scalloping is usually a bit drifty, although not as quick as you people get, and I pretty well always solo it; I always inflate the dsmb at the surface, clip the catch bag to the reel and ride the whole lot down to the bottom. As the scallop bag is usually a good 5-10 kg (estimated) I always send it up under a bright yellow liftbag for the boat crew to deal with. I'd never try to lift that lot by swimming it up, the thought of a scallop shell cuting a hole in the bag and the whole lot falling out is just too scarey to contemplate.

·
Team HPDW - 10/90 for the Boys
5,435 Posts
any good recipies for scallops?;)
Pan fry them in a small amount of oil with chillies, ginger and garlic.
Add a little soy sauce to the mix too if you like.
Serve with Chorizo and black pudding.
I like to do the scallops after the chorizo in the same pan to enhance the flavours
Nom Nom Nom

·
give me convenience
2,436 Posts
I am glad you are OK, it must have been a worry on the boat.

My thoughts are that if you had kept together as a buddy pair you would have had somebody to help you with the tasks and to stop you tangling yourself up in your SMB. Losing my buddy is a dive ending failure for me. As such I would have been putting up a bag without the scallops and without nitrogen built up in my tissues.

I think you did very well to think to extend your stops and that might have been the difference between being bent or not being bent. Be careful with this if you are getting really cold though. There is probably a point at which you would be better off warm, on the boat and sucking on O2 than freezing your tits off at 6m. Difficult one to call I would say.

Best

Kev

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Hope you thoroughly enjoyed the scallops ......ummmmm..... scallops!!
You mentioned you are a chef... any good recipies for scallops?;)
Open scallop on deck of boat using rusty Beaver dive knife. Preferably in a "bit of a sea".

Discard the eyes and stomach. Eat white meat and orange roe raw.

Watch rest of boat yak over the side.

They are nicest like this, though you have to remember the orange bit is the scallop's man fat.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
There seems to be a pattern with scalloping. If you read the first incident posted in this sub-forum you will see it was a scalloping incident of mine in a fast drift... :)
I have always thought that currents are often underestimated. One of the advantages of learning to dive in the Solent I guess, I developed a healthy respect for tide very early on.

For Gav's sake
  • Put your blob up before you descend and use the line to stay in contact with your buddy through out.
  • Not fashionable, but a buddy line clipped off to an smb line can work well for a low vis drift. It keeps you together without you both having to spend every second thinking about it.
  • You really want to be marked at all times while drifting. An SMB also makes for a handy way to suspend a goody bag, in which you might plonk your catch.
  • When deploying a buoy in drift, get off the bottom a meter or so, drift with the tide and shoot the bag down tide so it spools out in front of you.
  • Don't ever put so much gas in a buoy that it is able to lift you before you let go of it. The buoy needs to be buoyant enough to rise in the tide, it does not need to be so buoyant as to be able to lift you with it. Adhering to this one bit of advice has saved me from uncontrolled ascents a number of times.
  • When deploying a buoy in drift while simultaneously tackling a goody bag, rise a meter or so off the bottom and clip the bag off so it dangles below you. That gives you two hands to attend to the buoy. It also stops crabs and lobbies attempting to eat your kit ;)

Is it April already. Don't be fooled by the Sunshine. The sea conditions may be at their most challenging at the same time your skills are at their lowest level of practice.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Open scallop on deck of boat using rusty Beaver dive knife. Preferably in a "bit of a sea".

Discard the eyes and stomach. Eat white meat and orange roe raw.

Watch rest of boat yak over the side.

They are nicest like this, though you have to remember the orange bit is the scallop's man fat.
Not eaten the yellow roe raw, but the white meat is tasty as hell when its raw and on the boat deck. Shame about the salmonella risk though..

1 - 20 of 72 Posts