YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just got back from a week in lanzarote, only did one day's diving.... but did a bit of snorkelling and took the camera.
the first pics are snorkelling in the bay in costa teguise, and the others are from puerto del carmen with calipso diving.

I have never snorkelled with a camera before and it was quite interesting! Does anyone know if the white and black spotty thing is a sea hare?
Cheers
Ruth

G]http://i47.tinypic.com/4puvqr.jpg[/IMG]

·
Registered
653 Posts
Good shots and you have thoughtfully cropped some of them. I like the snorkling ones you don't get long to think do you? set it all up beforehand. Not tried it too often myself but strangely do remember it. Maybe imprinted by breath holding.
I have taken the liberty of messing with two (I prefer the exactly square crop in the anemone) and the grouper was crying for dodge and burn.

I will delete if you wish.
Tim Digger

·
Devout Sceptic
4,726 Posts
Nice.

Although I'm a squidger I really like the wider angle shots like the little wreck and the divers in silhouette.
It reminds me of the lovely clear water diving I'll be doing in Tenerife next month :)

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thankyou tim.... how do you do dodge and burn? I am fairly new to photography, so only tend to do basic editing, and don't understand how to do more involved things. Can you send me a copy of them please?
I really like what you have done to the grouper.... he was humungous, and I had a wide angle and no strobe, and the onboard flash doesn't cut it much with the wide angle lens, so I literally took on manual white balance, no flash and had to live with the results. I am not into macro partic, but with the snorkelling i had a go, but prefer wrecks really....

·
Registered
653 Posts
Thankyou tim.... how do you do dodge and burn? I am fairly new to photography, so only tend to do basic editing, and don't understand how to do more involved things. Can you send me a copy of them please?
I really like what you have done to the grouper.... he was humungous, and I had a wide angle and no strobe, and the onboard flash doesn't cut it much with the wide angle lens, so I literally took on manual white balance, no flash and had to live with the results. I am not into macro partic, but with the snorkelling i had a go, but prefer wrecks really....
The how depends on your software. I really don't do more involved things. In Lightroom there is a tool that allows you to select an area of an image and alter its exposure/contrast/ whitebalance/ sharpness. I used this, the term dodgeing and burning comes from wet film days when you used your hands to shield or expose the print under the enlarger while shining light on the paper to give more (burning) or less (dodgeing) light to the light sensitive paper. Much of the software today mimics this concept but with many, many more refinements.
Sent me a pm with your email and I will send you images at the same definition you posted them at with the mods I usually post images at 640 pixels max dimension but can easily do you original definition which would be better.
I find Lightroom suits me but there are many other options find one that suits and learn to use i,t most underwater images can benefit from tweaking unless you are a lot better than me.
Tim Digger

Reactions: 4741

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Very good! I love diving in lanz.............going again in a few weeks:shade:

You have a really good eye for a shot and the colours are great thanks for sharing:thumbs_up:

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Nice,

I still rate PDC as the nicest spot I have ever dived in!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've had two trips diving in Puerto del Carmen and really enjoyed it. Lovely place to dive.

Great photos. What do they call that big grouper? Is it Felix?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks ruffy do safari cater for technical diving then or do you not take rebreather ?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Thanks ruffy do safari cater for technical diving then or do you not take rebreather ?
I really keep it simple on hols........back to single tank/little wing/oph/shortie suit, I love going back to basics:thumbs_up:
Too hot to be buggering about!:shade:

·
Not so new member
329 Posts
what camera do you use, I have lots of shots from lanzarote of fish tails as mine has a "satalite" delay - most annoying.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I a have an canon ixus 105, in an ikelite housing.... on the holiday I only took the wide angle lens, and a macro lens,
AsI knew I wasn't doing much diving and the luggage allowance I didn't take a strobe.
I really like this camera although it is very limited as you can't adjust aperture etc, just basic settings like man white balance and ev adjuster, but I have been pleased with it for the price £100
I want an s95, to try and get a bit more involved....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts