YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you to ALL who have taken the time to respond to my questions, and posted invaluable information in here.

Was at the Farnes this weekend to do my open water and all went well.

Dive one. Snowdonia. Rolled in with my training partner and Dive Officer. Hit the bottom of the shot and took time to compose. We moved off a short distance and settled ready as per dive brief. Was then that the signal came, You, look there. Nothing. Again with a shake of the finger. No no, LOOK behind you. At this point Im thinking WTF. Then it appeared from behind my fins. Its a seal, WOW. He came in close and gave a couple of nods and moved off to allow us to carry out the tasks in hand. Both Beccy and I completed with now problems. Then we was taken on a swim round. 31 mins later we are back on the surface with the biggest most stupid grins on our faces.
Dive two. Dive brief was just follow me and stay close. Was shown allsorts like crab and lobster to the tiny things we would never of spotted. The hand signal came and Beccy and I stopped straight away. followed by you two look behind. Becky and I turned together to be greeted by a seal right behind us. we turned and looked at each other, Im sure we both said F**ckin ell at the same time. He was huge and happy nipping at our fins. he stayed around us for the rest of the dive. Back to the surface and again big stupid grins on our faces. Amazing.
Dive three. Again the brief was stay close just a swim around but deeper again this time. Remembered to look at the computers we was given to use this time, 16+m fantastic. bouancy was spot on this time i think i may of found nuetral by accident. once again buzzed by a seal only this time he wanted to play, he was all over Beccy holding on to her head. I signalled was she ok and she respond she was. For several minutes he played and all the time I stayed infront of her just holding her BCD. He decided he liked beccy, (she is a young woman) and proceded to try and bonk her. I know I was pissing myself laughing and allowed my lungs to fill becuase I started to rise. the seal did no more than let go of Beccy and swam over the top of me. he then put his weight on my head and honestly pushed me back down to the seabed. I was totally amazed when he buzzed round to the front of me and touched my mask with his nose. He then turned his attension to the DO who was to our side about ten feet away, horizontal around four feet off the bottom whatching us at all times. This now gave Beccy and I a true idea how big he was. The DO is 6'6" and the seal made him look small lying the full length of him. AMAZING. The rest of the dive we was accompanied with our new dive buddy who never left us until we did a 6m stop. On the rib was just great, I checked our guages and we had both got down to 70bar.
The other two ribs came and moored to us and all to a man was really pleased we had had such fantastic experiences for our first two dives.
Dive four. Sea was rough for day two. So after checking a couple of dive sites the DO and experienced members decided all three ribs would dive St Andre. Was a very good feeling going down the shot knowing Beccy and I had eight other divers around us when we hit the bottom. we moved off and had a good root around the boiler and propshaft. found some huge lobsters under the plates and managed to grab one, he was tiny with one claw missing, but, still grabbed him. I enjoyed this dive as looking at a wreck is what will interest me. Back on the rib talking and Beccy revealed she hadn't a clue what was what. She even missed the boiler, where we got off the shot. lol.
Dive five. The pinnacles. We had seals with us again on this dive. we was taken through a gully to a gap in the rocks and told to look up. Right up a tunnel to the surface, think its called the chimney. A strange feeling came over me at this point I think it was fear. During the dive we got to 21.2m. I think this was in one of the gullies. Assending on the SMB line seemed to take ages, with nothing to see but one jellyfish.
Sadly dives six and seven had to be called off due to rough seas. We spoke with other divers who had been out and they said it was too rough. It was rough at the Andre and pinnacles where we had dived the day before.
So Beccy and I got five dives in, the plan was for eight but due to bad weather Sunday and Monday we lost three. The group was really sorry we was losing a day but we was happy. I think I was more so due to being so knackered after getting three ribs back in two days in a row.
Going in the pool tonight on our own, we was wondering what to do when we both then realised how boring its going to be now. Drills drills drills.

For those who havent done the Farnes, then do so you will love it. For those who are training stick with it as you will love it too.
I have to wait now till a week Saturday before going back in the sea as I cant make this week due to prior arrangements, but hey hum it not to long to wait.

Craig..:teeth:

·
aka j_b
862 Posts
Well done :)
Everyone else's qualifying dives always sound so much better than my own! (I think I saw a jellyfish and a wheelie bin!)

·
Squidgey Member
2,151 Posts
what a cracking couple of first dives, Do you think that you will stick with the diving then?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So... do you think you will stay with diving? ;)
what a cracking couple of first dives, Do you think that you will stick with the diving then?
Ooh, you bettcha. I do understand we have been spoilt qualifying this way. We could of quite easily had been taken in at Capenwray with nothing good to see. I think Anglesy next as out of Bridlington is to deep yet.

Craig..

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thank you all for your encouraging words, and thank you for the thanks:D

Diving Angelsey on the 10th, any tips welcome. I've read the currents can be unpredictive and strong

1 - 12 of 12 Posts