Votes: 3 6.5%
  • No, leave it at home.

Votes: 43 93.5%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I suppose this question could have gone into "Diving Overseas" or a couple of other places but I'll put it here for now and our beloved admins can move it if appropriate.

With airline baggage allowances being quite stingy in some cases, if you're going on a 7 day liveaboard do you take a pony / bailout bottle?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
If I really want to carry one, then I'll rent it.

Good viz means i'm not as likely to be so at risk of losing my buddy, so I'm not as corncerned with an indipendant AS normally.

:)

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Have taken one a few times, still like to have a redundant AS even in blue water. Good vis means you can see other divers more easily, but also encourages you to get well distant from them.

Serious question - ask yourself how far can you swim after exhaling before you need to inhale.

That said I've now sold my pony to move to twins, so on holidays will either twins up, hire pony, or just maintain close buddy distance depending on the diving

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update

Ok, there's a bit more information available now.

I've just phoned the company and they'll rent me a 3L bailout bottle for the princely sum of twenty rustproof beer tokens which sounds much better than carting mine all the way there :D

·
Life is rushing past!
1,206 Posts
Leave it at home, Don't really need it on most of the dives and the ones that you do, you could always make up a side slung with a spare cylinder.

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Ok, there's a bit more information available now.

I've just phoned the company and they'll rent me a 3L bailout bottle for the princely sum of twenty rustproof beer tokens which sounds much better than carting mine all the way there :D
Good call the only bottle I've ever had to have shot blasted internally was a pony a few months after I took it to the DR.

Safe diving,
Steve

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
I would not take a steel one, too heavy, but if i had an Aluminium 3L thats another issue, but hey £20 sound good to me.

They have to travel drained and open i think, so a good chance of rusting if its a steel one as well. Several of my club have taken them in the past, but they have not had much use.

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Bat crap ........... take one of those Buddy(?) twinning straps and dive indie twin 10s? :teeth:

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Snorkeling?

Well ........... we all have to pick them up?

What he said.

Unless your buddy is a supa attentive dive god or you not intending going below 15m then fine. If not its not a bad idea. I used to take my own then I started twinning up indis when doing 30mall the time.

ATB

Mark

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
If I felt like I might need a bit of redundancy - I'd take a set of stage regs and a Halcyon AL80 rigging kit (takes up no space and very light)

Five minute job to rig it up on one of the standard tropics single tanks then take it side slung as a stage and breath it down first before switching to backgas. Maybe put an extra kilo on the the other side to balance out.

Piece of cake - even with a BCD as long as its got D rings for clipping stages.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
If I felt like I might need a bit of redundancy - I'd take a set of stage regs and a Halcyon AL80 rigging kit (takes up no space and very light)

Five minute job to rig it up on one of the standard tropics single tanks then take it side slung as a stage and breath it down first before switching to backgas. Maybe put an extra kilo on the the other side to balance out.

My first ever two tank dive was done like this in a John Banton stiley air in one and 32% in the other on the Roselee Mulla. Cracking dive I seem to remember :D

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
411 Posts
They have to travel drained and open i think, so a good chance of rusting if its a steel one as well. Several of my club have taken them in the past, but they have not had much use.
Depends where you are going, Xray can see inside an ali cylinder quite well, but lots of places insist the valve is out so that the cylinder can be internally examined - the valve being in but loose is not good enough. People have had cylinders confiscated by security at airports because they had valves in.. This certainly applies anywhere that uses American standards for security.

I would take an Oxycheq stage rigging kit, it would only take 4.5 minutes to fit :angel: and costs half as much and takes less space as they dont have H on them but this seems important to some people:embarassed:

Ali 80s are lovely as sling tanks, once you get used to having it they are very little hassle till they are below 80 bar when they start to get bouyant, when empty you will need more than a kilo to keep it neutral.

Of course YMMV if you are not used to swimming horizontally and have never slung cylinders before.

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
I would take an Oxycheq stage rigging kit, it would only take 4.5 minutes to fit and costs half as much and takes less space as they dont have H on them but this seems important to some people
Looks fine to me but I've not seen them for sale in this country. A Halcyon kit costs me £20 - hardly robbery - don't care if it says "Gimp" on it if it does the job

more than a kilo to keep it neutral
I meant more to keep you from being lopsided in the water due to the weight of the stage when full. With a single you'd notice it a bit more than with a twinset I reckon

·
Registered
411 Posts
Looks fine to me but I've not seen them for sale in this country. A Halcyon kit costs me £20 - hardly robbery - don't care if it says "Gimp" on it if it does the job

I meant more to keep you from being lopsided in the water due to the weight of the stage when full. With a single you'd notice it a bit more than with a twinset I reckon
:angel:

strap it on :embarassed:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts