YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm toying with the idea of following Mal's instructions to ease my Halcyon manifold valves (post #33 of this thread: http://www.yorkshire-divers.com/forums/regulators-cylinders/62994-regreasing-twinset-manifold-4.html ), but I don't have enough brave pills to go in blind.

I was wondering if the inner workings of the valve on an AP Valve DSMBi crack bottle may be the same, or similar, to manifold valves. If they are, I could practice on something that isn't critical, and less embarrasing should I need a grown up to help me make it better again.

Is this a cunning plan, or a higher level of muppetry ?

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
You're believing all this rubbish about scuba servicing being a black art.
It isn't.

Reactions: bobdob

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
The innards of an AP Valves aren't the same as the Halcyon, but are close enough to give you an idea. They all work in pretty much the same way.

I always find it handy to take photos at each stage when I'm dismantling something for the first time.

·
Wreck Ferret in training
566 Posts
Is this a cunning plan, or a higher level of muppetry ?
It's a cunning plan. I know because I have done both before so it's a good place to start.

Also beware, that once you start on your twinset you can do the outside valves with pressure in your twinset (as long as they are shut) but you need to have the set drained to do the manifold central valve.

Good luck
Gar

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent, thanks for the replies. I'm having my eyes lazered in November, so it looks like I've got some tinkering sorted to while away the hours before I can dive again :)

·
GUE Tech and Cave Instructor
1,259 Posts
It's a cunning plan. I know because I have done both before so it's a good place to start.

Also beware, that once you start on your twinset you can do the outside valves with pressure in your twinset (as long as they are shut) but you need to have the set drained to do the manifold central valve.

Good luck
Gar
Please don't. The Halcyon manifold can have pressure on both sides of the valve seat, and so undoing the outer nut under pressure can lead to problems. If you are going to do this, then do it with the set completely empty. If you are doing this with Halcyon valves then you should use the correct Halcyon service kit to do this strip and rebuild.

HTH

John

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
Please don't. The Halcyon manifold can have pressure on both sides of the valve seat, and so undoing the outer nut under pressure can lead to problems.
If the valve is closed there will only be a tiny volume of gas at pressure on the back side of the valve seat. Loosening the outer nut gently will purge this almost immediately. But, servicing the valves without doing the seat plug is only doing half a job.

This only applies to the left and right valves. The isolator is pressurised on both sides and the set MUST be empty to service that valve.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.