YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local SAA club is considering opening membership up to diving members from any agency, but retaining it's core SAA training membership.

I know some other agency clubs do this (BSAC clubs that accept other agency divers, for example) and the DO would like to be able to contact his equivalent in clubs that are already set up and running this way.

Are there any DOs that would be willing to speak to the DO of this local club and answer his questions?

I believe the queries are mainly around insurance, liabilities and club organisation, but I'd rather not be a third party passing info on, so hence the request for someone willing to speak to him direct.

I say speak, but email is acceptable too of course :)

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
A local SAA club is considering opening membership up to diving members from any agency, but retaining it's core SAA training membership.

I know some other agency clubs do this (BSAC clubs that accept other agency divers, for example) and the DO would like to be able to contact his equivalent in clubs that are already set up and running this way.

Are there any DOs that would be willing to speak to the DO of this local club and answer his questions?

I believe the queries are mainly around insurance, liabilities and club organisation, but I'd rather not be a third party passing info on, so hence the request for someone willing to speak to him direct.

I say speak, but email is acceptable too of course :)
Yes, either mail or if they prefer i'll give you my number :)

Safe diving,
Steve

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Thank you very much Steve. I've just emailed him asking if he'd rather phone or email, so I'll get back to you - maybe tomorrow now as it's late :)
No worries.

Safe diving,
Steve

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
If you want another take on it from someone without any facial hair I'm DO of the Nottm Uni club and we have lots of crossovers every year.
What have transvestites got to do with it? :)

Safe diving,
Steve

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you want another take on it from someone without any facial hair I'm DO of the Nottm Uni club and we have lots of crossovers every year.
Thanks Woz, but the club isn't looking at crossovers - they do that already.

They want to maintain the SAA core training, membership and crossovers they currently have, but also open up to having members on the books that belong to other agencies (BSAC for example) and will continue to train with their own agency, but are fully covered by insurance, etc within the SAA club...if that makes sense :confused:

BTW, PM sent about wetsuit arms...

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
Aha I see what you mean. Well in our club they can happily dive with us to the limit of their quals. If they want to go and train elsewhere that's fine too. However if they want to further their training with BSAC then they have to do a crossover and get a SALT sorted (statement of alternative training).

·
Diving in the sand
224 Posts
I was DO of our club, four years ago, when we openned up to all agency divers. All training in the club is BSAC and although we encourage new members to cross over they do not need to and dive to/within the limits of their certification. We carry additional insurance to cover club diving to cover non BSAC members. We are an overseas club but the prinipals are the same and we ammended our constitution with guidance from senior people at HQ.
Happy to discuss our experience if it would help.

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
Dave, I'm chair not DO but I would point out that BSAC insurance and issues might not be the same as SAA ones. In BSAC there is no difference between a club member qualified by BSAC and one qualified by another agency. The BSAC branch officer's handbook is on their website for anyone to read, member or not, and answers most questions on the subject.

Chris

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Oh no your now the DO!!! They're all doomed... ...Doomed I tell Ye!!!!!

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts
Especially as the club constitution has been re-written with more compulsory bikini wearing.
Woz in a thong.......

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.