YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
past paper.......

'What is the difference between decompression sickness and decompression illness?'

My thought was that decompression illness describes any sort of barotrauma so would include a burst eardrum, embolism etc. Whereas decompression sickness is the signs and symptons of a decompression illness eg, skin rashes, diziness, numbness etc.

What do the rest of you think....am I right?

Neil

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
'What is the difference between decompression sickness and decompression illness?'
Nowt.

Decompression malady - what about that too..... ;)

Its about time the FCD exam was brought up to date. Hopefully someone somewhere....

Chris

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chris....it was a past paper. Could have been from 2003. So might have been updated by now....might be a question that would never get asked now.

Just thought I would see if anyone had any ideas.

·
10,679 Posts
Thanks David - interesting links.

You'd either be a hyperbaric doctor or a very sad anorak to remember these for an exam.... I would suspect that 99% of divers would use the terms interchangably and not seperate out AGE.

I have the miserable problem of a good memory that's not quite there and now will remember for ever that one includes AGE and the other doesn't, but never remember which...

Chris

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Thanks David - interesting links.

You'd either be a hyperbaric doctor or a very sad anorak to remember these for an exam.... I would suspect that 99% of divers would use the terms interchangably and not seperate out AGE.

I have the miserable problem of a good memory that's not quite there and now will remember for ever that one includes AGE and the other doesn't, but never remember which...

Chris
I sometimes think that First Class is designed to fulfill such tendancies. Never quite worked out the purpose of the grade. Except to be a NI or NDO of course.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
or to wind up Clint!

Or to demonstrate that your knowledge, diving skills and organisational abilties has been assessed and examined at a National level by your chosen diving "brand".

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
or to wind up Clint!

Or to demonstrate that your knowledge, diving skills and organisational abilties has been assessed and examined at a National level by your chosen diving "brand".
Nah, winding up Clint is easy. Only need AD for that :D

·
1,171 Posts
That's what it was about, yes, now I remember :) ..mind you my Anorak is looking a little old now :sad:

David.

·
10,679 Posts
I sometimes think that First Class is designed to fulfill such tendancies. Never quite worked out the purpose of the grade. Except to be a NI or NDO of course.
Well according to the W3

beeserk said:
Definition of a First Class Diver
A First Class Diver is defined as a diver who:

• A level of practical diving skill and knowledge beyond advanced diver
  • The ability to organise groups of divers and lead major diving expeditions to achieve specific aims or objectives
  • The ability and knowledge to contribute to the BSAC at a branch, regional and national level.
I can see that as being something worthwhile and worth striving for, but IMHO the present setup doesn't really achieve this. Its too much like the PADI Badge-Collector Badge only with a "quiz" :D

As I say lets hope this is part of the big old review that's going on.

Chris

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can I mention that my 'anorak' is in the cupboard waiting to be taken out....assuming I qualify in 12 days!

The question that got me was.....

'Who developed the algorithum used in
a: The BSAC 88 tables
b: A Suunto Computer
c: A Uwatec Computer'

Now, unless you are a really sad geek there is no way you are going to get full marks on that one!

ps....
a: Tom Hennessy
b: Bruce Weinke
c: Dr Buhlmann

as far as I could find out........

·
10,679 Posts
Hennessy developed the 88s but the Suunto and Uwatec are both Buhlmann although the Suunto was "modified" by Weinke.

Can I have my badge now please? :D

Chris

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hennessy developed the 88s but the Suunto and Uwatec are both Buhlmann although the Suunto was "modified" by Weinke.

Can I have my badge now please? :D

Chris
I suplicate myself in your direction.....surely your parker has the largest and furriest of hoods on YD :)

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
er... I got the question right...
But I did get a Merit on the paper in the dim and distant past. Even found my logs for the "Exam" dives - 1996...

·
10,679 Posts

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
The scarf is OK...
But the Hat should be RED aka JYC!
Paul...
Still more dives than posts!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts