YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago, I decided that a couple of rescue kittens would be a grand idea. They came to me aged aout 3 months, and almost instantly they were part of the household, and teasing my two older cats.

Fizz another rescue cat took them under her wing and taught them all sorts of stuff, including how to bring mice, birds and voles into the house. Both of them had bags of personality. They'd sit on my shoulder while I tried to work, sit on my keyboard as I tried to play on YD and never strayed far from home - I could tell that because the longest it took for them to come when called was about 30 seconds - particularly at tea time.

On Friday, Casper went out for a bit of a wander - the evenings are getting longer, and I'd been busy, and by the time bedtime came around, I realised he wasn't home. I wasn't too worried - he'll be hme by the morning, i thought, only he wasn't. I went out for a bit of a run, did normal Saturday things, and was getting very worried by the time he wasn't home for dinner. That was so unlike him.

This morning, I went for a run again - following the same route as yesterday, thinking I ought to keep an eye on the hedges and ditches incase he was in one, and had a look in some of his known haunts afterwards. By lunchtime, I was worried enough to make up a leaflet and shove it through the doors in my street, and the next one.

About half an hour later, a neighbour came to tell us she'd seen a cat, and told us where. So, we've found him. Unmarked, but very dead, and so very close to the edge of the road I've run on twice. If I'd run on the right, not the left I'd have found him yesterday morning.

Paxton is wandering round like he has lost his tail. He saw us bring Casper home, and sat and watched us bury him in the garden.

I'm glad we found him. We're going away tomorrow, and I was in two minds as to whether or not to stay behind, as we'd both have just worried about him. We've been there before - I am now sure that knowing he's died is better than going along wondering what happened.

So - I'm pretty sad really. I know some of you will think - hell, it is only a cat, but he was our cat. Part of the family, and very much loved. :(

this is him - spaced out on catnip :)

·
Naturally blonde - please type slowly
680 Posts
So sorry Morag - that's shit. But I'm glad you found him. I lost a dog once and searched for months and months,calling the police, vets and rescue centres to find him. I was away and he was being looked after by a friend when he disappeared. We never found him. I can only hope he's old and fat with some lovely little old lady, but in reality I know he isn't. At least you can grieve without never knowing what happened. Chin up. xx:girlhug:

·
Silent Knight
1,849 Posts
Terrible shame - its just awful when you lose a pet.

Sorry to hear this

G :(

Reactions: 19696

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Oh, Morag that's awful. I feel for you, I lost one of mine last year, as other's have said, it sucks.:sad::girlhug:

·
Is somewhere else!
4,728 Posts
Its never nice to lose a friend, even if it is 'just' a cat.
Really sorry for you Morag.

Have a cat hug :cat: :girlhug:

There's a few of us at the puddle tommorrow if you fancy a dip.

·
Life is rushing past!
1,206 Posts
I'm sorry to here that, It always leaves a hole once they're gone.

·
Squidgey Member
2,151 Posts
Sorry to hear the bad news Morag, If i lost my best freind Chevy, (Bobalot's Avatar) I just don't know what i would do. My heart goes out to you.

·
This is my happy face!!
2,640 Posts
Hi Morag. Really sorry to hear about Casper. Having 2 of my own, I know what I'd be like if I lost one. Hard enough when they go naturally. :frown:

Going to give mine a hug now.

·
Atomic Blonde and Midjit Idjit
16,469 Posts
I never take the piss out of someone who is upset over the loss of a pet. It's an absolute shit, and there's no other way to describe it. Really, really sorry Morag :(
Agreed. I'm thinking of you, Adam and your other cats.

When we lost out dog of nearly 18 years it was, to both of us, as gut-wrenching as losing our Dads*. Give your other kitties a big cuddle from me :)

*and I don't say that lightly.

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agreed. I'm thinking of you, Adam and your other cats.

When we lost out dog of nearly 18 years it was, to both of us, as gut-wrenching as losing our Dads*. Give your other kitties a big cuddle from me :)

*and I don't say that lightly.
It was weird feeding the three of them tonight. Casper was always the first to the food dishes - greedy little oik :D However, Manta seems ok, now that she has managed to re-aquire her favourite sleeping place!

Thanks, folks for your kind words. :)

·
One Team One Dream
3,388 Posts
sorry to hear about your sad losse.
Although i am not a cat lover i know how you must feel after having pets for years

·
Dedicated Lurker
934 Posts
sorry to hear about your pussy cat. u can't help but get attached to them. At least he had a good home with you.

Lyv

·
Bunny Botherer !
126 Posts
So sorry Morag.

House bunnies and house Guinea pigs are my babies and I worship them. I've lost four over the last year and it never gets any easier.
Seeing an ex military 'ard man (my other half) with tears rolling down his cheeks clutching a very eldery, smelly and gumpy old Guinea pig who we had to have put to sleep, makes you realise that it doesn't matter if its a dog, cat, guinea pig or person.... if you love it... you love it.
For me, it makes me love the ones I have even more.

x

·
I am a person NOT a number
7,710 Posts
Oh Morag I am so sorry to hear about your cat but it was positive news that he was recovered. Allow yourself time to grieve for your family pet and think of the great life he has had with you and was not stuck in a cat rescue place.

·
Platinum Member - I wish...
776 Posts
Loosing pets sucks :(

I found I never really noticed how used to it's habits I was, until it was gone.

At least you got closure I suppose. Still a sucky thing to happen :boy_hug:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts