YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Silent
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to share my recent experience of buying dive torches (Intova mini LED and Hollis LED 5) and the customer service I received from two well known suppliers, Simply Scuba and Direct Diving. In both cases I had to a problem and had to have the original replaced (I think I got very unlucky).

Having always used club torches I wanted to move to having my own last year but without breaking the bank. Finally I choose the Intova Mini LED which I bought from SimplyScuba. Plan to use it as primary and then move it to being secondary later down the line. It survived about 3-4 dives, functioning absolutely fine. Then I took it out one day and found it did not work at all, the rear through casing switch was stiff and all I could get was flicker of light. Some sort of hardened residue had formed around the switch on the outside. I couldn't scratch this away, so left the unit submersed in sink for a few hours to see if it was salt based and might dissolve. This did not help at all, though I could depress the switch, all I got was that momentary flicker and then nothing. Then I tried switching out the batteries but still it did not work. I also found that water had collected in the head of torch. All in all I was stumped, had the torch leaked, had the batteries maybe gone funny and leaked acid through the switch?

I got in touch with Simply and they sent me out a form and asked me to send them the torch for inspection. I received the form, signed on the dotted line (if it was my fault, then I would have to pay to replace/repair etc) and went down the to post office. After a few weeks nothing, so I checked on the recorded delivery, RM website said it was still working through the system. So I got in touch with Simply and after a further period of waiting agreed to fill in a lost in mail form and could they please inform me if it eventually arrives...

In the mean time I found the money and bought a Hollis LED 5 from Direct Diving. I can't remember the name of the guy I ordered from but he was very helpful and even threw in some free batteries. :teeth: My new shiney torch arrived, I dropped the batteries in and... nothing :sad: ! It wasn't working, I checked the batteries were the right way around and even phoned Diving direct. Seems I just got unlucky and had a dud. Without hesitation, the guy at the other hand sent out a replacement and parcel with postage pre-paid so I could return the faulty one. Second torch is working fine and I have used it, so very happy.

Finally I stopped dragging my feet about the Intova and got the lost mail form and then got back in touch with Simply to check something. To my surprise, they had received the torch and chosen to send out a replacement. This was news to me as I had't received anything or heard anything from them. They had mistakenly returned to the item to my old address, even though this had happened a month earlier with another item after which I had expressly asked them to update my details so it wouldn't occur again! I have now got the replacement torch (had to speak to the letting agent and get them to call the current tenants who in turn had to come to the office to drop it off).

All in all both torches are great (as long as the replacement Intova mini keeps working but only time will tell) but I got two very different levels of services. SimplyScuba weren't bad, most of the delay was due to the royal mail but then again Simply didn't go out of their way to help in the way Direct Diving did :thumbs_up:. I certainly know who I would prefer to use in the future.

·
Silent
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It should be stated that the Intova was well maintained, O'rings nicely greased, torch rinsed in fresh water after each dive...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts