YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Early this morning I received a phone call from some very cheerful Dive Club member chappies. Now, glad as I am, in my dotage, to receive communication from other younger divers I have to admit to becoming a bit terse and having to tell them to F*** Off.

Theirs was a particularly cruel piece of supposed humour directed at ME and I am at a loss (not for words, obviously) to explain the hurt and pain caused.

Allow me to explain - for a number of years now I have harboured a desire, bordering on lust, to be the owner of an Inspiration CCR. The Skinny Shed, the YBOD. Oh, the happiness I could have enjoyed had I been the owner of one. But finances failed me and look set to do so for the forseeable future.

In my rose tinted view of the world I was determined to be the first YBOD owner in my Club (Out Of Cinque Dive Club - Hastings) when that complete and utter git Rob Evans had to go and get one first. Oh well, I thought, “second owner won’t be too bad”. Anyway, matters have deteriorated to such an extent that another 4 members of our Club are now on their way to Lanzagrotty (a place I like very much by the way) to do the Inspiration  CCR course. This is without the others that acquired one in between.

It would now appear that I am virtually the only Club member (who isn’t a novice or a pond diver) who is still on open circuit kit when I wanted to be the first CCR diver in the Club. FFS!

Anyway, to go back to the offensive phone call.  I was subjected to a barrage (via the LDS phone loud speaker) of comments such as “how is your Inpsiration” “is that an Inspiration you’ve got”  “isn’t your Inspiration a lovely colour”  “mind you don’t tread on my Inspiration”  “have you all got your flight tickets to get to Lanzarote for our Inspiration course”  “I wouldn’t ever dive open circuit again now I have my Inspiration”  “ have I mentioned I have an Inspiration”  “have I mentioned you don’t have an Inspiration”  “I love my Inspiration"  "oh! have you got an Inspiration too" "I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't have an
Inspiration" etc etc. All this was accompanied by a background noise of much hilarity and enjoyment!!!

Call me churlish but all I can say is “I hope they all fail the negative pressure test” the complete and utter bastards.

Must go to the Doctors now to see if there is a reason for this nasty green rash I have broken out in. After the Doctors I am going home to sulk.

Do you think I should I join another Club?

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Do you think I should I join another Club?
You're already in one mate
 don't  pay any attention to these saddos Bryan, there's far too many w***ers in the world to cope with so ignore them and maybe they'll go away.
Cheers
stevil
PS.......

Fruitbat!

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve W @ Mar. 25 2004,12:32)]PS.......
It still works on me.  

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>The only way to outdo these bods is to get a bigger, blacker rebreather. May I suggest the Meg? No more taunts in the playground after that!

I think the concern for me is that a lot of guys are getting units out of a desire to have the latest toy. Sure, I want one, but I just don't need it for the diving I do. And there's a lot out there that don't need it for the diving they do either. That said, I don't know the guys in your club, or the diving they're doing.

The only appeal for me right now is the ability to really sneak up on my mates, and the warmth in winter over here. I'm starting to notice the amount of air my poseidon delivers against my teeth and lungs. Its' cold.

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Digger @ Mar. 25 2004,12:56)]The only way to outdo these bods is to get a bigger, blacker rebreather. May I suggest the Meg? No more taunts in the playground after that!

I think the concern for me is that a lot of guys are getting units out of a desire to have the latest toy. Sure, I want one, but I just don't need it for the diving I do. And there's a lot out there that don't need it for the diving they do either. That said, I don't know the guys in your club, or the diving they're doing.

The only appeal for me right now is the ability to really sneak up on my mates, and the warmth in winter over here. I'm starting to notice the amount of air my poseidon delivers against my teeth and lungs. Its' cold.
All into deeper (for better wrecks) and accelerated deco and, yes, you are right - I can do the diving I do with the kit I've got now (or change from 10s to 12s), but, I still want one.

I have not really looked at the Meg but I believe it to be dearer than the Inspiration so there is no chance for me.

Apart from the things you mentioned the other things that appeal to me are the constant pO2 and shed loads of gas at the end of the dive. Dive plans can be much much more flexible (provided you have sufficient bail out).

There is only one downside in my view and that is washing out the counter lungs - eeeeeeeyeuk!

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Bryan
johnny come lately whizzo fancy ma gig plastic technology. Cant beat a nice lump (or two) of iron your back mate.
Something newer and flasher will be along some day soon and they will want one of those instead. You stick OC it'll still be here long after those plastic buy and throwaway thingies are old hat.

When I were a lad we didnt have tanks like you young people have we had them made from old jumpers and ex-army rucksacks left over from 1st world war and bloody good they were too.

Matt
Ps
lets see if we can get a try dive on Sunday and then rubbish them as we've had a go.

pps I wouldnt mind one either - someday, maybe.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Imported post

If its any consolation (which I'm  sure it isn't)  I VERY nearly brought one a couple of weeks ago, but  then looked at the TDI course details.  Following  completion of the training I would have  been  limited to a max depth of 40m and a maximum of 5 mins deco for the first 100 hours on the unit.  Now I fully appreciate  that need for the CCR diver to build up experience, but I  really don't want those sorts of limitations this year, having already made plans for a few deeper wrecks.  So in the end, I decided to stick with OC to give me the options I want.

It hasn't stopped me wanting a new toy, but it looks like a new wing and some stages will have to suffice, with maybee an HID thrown in for comfort!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ Mar. 25 2004,13:16)]johnny come lately whizzo fancy ma gig plastic technology.
And don't forget that everything with a chip will stop working at the start of 2000.  

Does that mean my local chippie will close?

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Imported post

Hey Finless, don't despair, show these young 'uns how it's done and make your own!

Remember seeing this linked from YD before....
http://atlimp.com/pend2.htm

You'll be the envy of them all, and you get to look like a Star Wars alien when using it  

Dave.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>finless,
sorry to hear about your desperate situation but may i suggest this route:

get the inspiration mod 1 cert,normally cost £500 but you can shop around for a deal.

put your name and phone number in every inspiration instructors hands and await a unit someone has bought for a course but for whatever reason has gone away without it.

now you can save a good few quid on a virtually new unit with about 10 hours on it, or else they can contact you if a second hand one comes up.

just a thought,
cheers
barrie

·
Registered
56 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finless @ Mar. 25 2004,12:17)]It would now appear that I am virtually the only Club member (who isn&#8217;t a novice or a pond diver) who is still on open circuit kit when I wanted to be the first CCR diver in the Club. FFS!
blimey, what club are you in? Are there any old men with dodgy hearts in it? Coz if everyone in the club (except you) can afford Inspiration rebreathers they must be loaded!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Nah, we're all skint on account of having blown all our dosh on expensive toys.

I'd just like to add a couple of salient points.

A That wasn't me on the phone the other day gloating.  Did all that 2 yrs ago

B Only one of the guys has a new unit.  One new, One came off of eBay (!),  one off the Insp list (and has disappeared into the US postal system somewhere which is why one of said gloaters is borrowing my box for Lanzagrotte trip) and the last also off the Insp list.  So.... the club has 1 loaded member (new), one instructor (obviously new), and 5 skint slobs who got theirs on the cheap (if you can call it that) - prices from £2500 to £3200.  Not a million miles from a fully loaded OC setup considering the diving we're doing.

And yes, there is a conspiracy within OOCDC to piss Bryan right off by buying kit none of us can afford for reasons we're not entirely sure of.  Fun though.  Must go, got to check next door's bins cos I'm bloody starving.:)

PS I'm old with a dodgy heart, so any young Leela-a-likes who feel the need to shag me to death in order to get a grip on the riches - feel free to PM.  

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Bryan,

Just smile and tell them that you know where their kids go to school
That said, after which, you might just find the radio-silence deafening!

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rob Evans @ Mar. 26 2004,00:13)]A That wasn't me on the phone the other day gloating.  Did all that 2 yrs ago

And yes, there is a conspiracy within OOCDC to piss Bryan right off by buying kit none of us can afford for reasons we're not entirely sure of.  Fun though.  Must go, got to check next door's bins cos I'm bloody starving.:)
As I said - you complete and utter git!!!  

I'll phone you on Sat about LIDS on Sunday.

Rgds
Bryan

·
Registered
23 Posts
Imported post

Finless mate-I just happen to have a surplus box for sale sat in the living room (buddys giving up)-canna tempt ya?

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]As I said - you complete and utter git!!!  
Don't get all bitter & twisted at me matey, I didn't know you wanted to be first.  Good job really, if I'd waited for you to pull your thumb out of your arse and get one I'd be your age before I got to dive a YBOD. And we're talking OLD

Shouldn't be too difficult to spot us at LIDS - we'll be the Baldy & the Hippy squabbling like f*ck (having started squabbling around the bottom of the A21)

Where's my free ticket you bast? ?

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rob Evans @ Mar. 26 2004,00:13)]PS I'm old with a dodgy heart, so any young Leela-a-likes who feel the need to shag me to death in order to get a grip on the riches - feel free to PM.  
Hey "Allways talking b" thats a smooth chat up line you've got.

If you and Bryan are going on Sunday theirs two meeting places 12 at the dive girl stand and 1.30 at onr of the bars (can't remeber which).
l've got your moby no so will ring ya Sun am.

`andsome torso'd builder

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jon B @ Mar. 26 2004,17:10)]Finless mate-I just happen to have a surplus box for sale sat in the living room (buddys giving up)-canna tempt ya?
Yes!

Especially if it is priced at exactly what I'd get for selling all my kit  

Sadly, unless I get an unforseen and sizeable incoming "wedge" my YBOD dreams will remain just that, until next year.

Bryan

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Maybe you could write to the nice folks at Airspeed Press and ask them to release a "Make your own Rebreather" book to go along with their "Make your own cannister light", "Make your own booster pump", "Blend your own Nitrox", and "Service your own regs" books.

Few bits of drainpipe and some flexible drinking bottle later, and you might be in business

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Mar. 30 2004,15:12)]Maybe you could write to the nice folks at Airspeed Press and ask them to release a "Make your own Rebreather" book to go along with their "Make your own cannister light", "Make your own booster pump", "Blend your own Nitrox", and "Service your own regs" books.

Few bits of drainpipe and some flexible drinking bottle later, and you might be in business
Dom,

Do you really think they would release the book, for me??

Anyway, what is a YBOD apart from a few bits of pipe, a small plastic box full of cat litter and a few electronic type bits.

My Dad gets discount at B&Q and I think I have an old wireless I can hook a few valves out of. Counterlungs ... hmmm - maybe one of those small round the neck life jackets?

I've got tons of the sticky stuff - both tape and liquid (well some of it might have gone hard by now).

Only thing left to get, that I can think of, is a tin of yellow paint.

I must be onto a winner - not only the satisfaction of diving my own creation but also saving a packet, to boot.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts