YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Before the weather gods decided otherwise I was going to the south coast this weekend. As I had some regs serviced recently I thought a bimble in Stoney was in order to check everything out.The day got off to a good start - nice sunny morning so of I toodles to Stoney. Get there before my buddy so assemble the rig, now I'm using up the dregs of a gas fill (18/45) so I need to attach the suit bottle. Pick it up hmm feels light, crack the valve no resistance, empty bottle. Bum!Somehow the valve got knocked open. No problem I'll get out the whip and decant of Phils cylinder when he arrives... now where did I put that whip? Ahh yes the spare bedroom 35 minutes away Damn! This means I'm going to have to pay for a fill... Then a thought creeps into my mind. I've never had this cylinder tested and I bought it in '97...

By now I was determined to get a dive so I thought I'm a rufty tufty technical diver, dressed all in black, so I'll dive the suit of back gas and tough it out. Finish assembling the kit discovering in the process that my backup torch has got flat batteries. About now Phil arrives so after coffee we arrive at a plan. Time to kit up.

Put thinsulate on but as its sunny dont zip it up much past my beer gu ... I mean six pack. Finally get the gear on and start to sweat. Down to the water we go which is looking more and more lovely the hotter and sweatier I get. Last minute check and in we jump. Ahh its lovely and cool ... No its cold especially on my chest... did I do my thinsulate zip up? No oh bugger!

Right lets get on with this before I chicken out so down we descend. Get to about 1m when I really get a cold feeling down my neck. That sodding neck seal has started to leak which is all I really need. 6m time to put some gas in the suit as its tightening up. Instant air conditioning all down my front but not as bad as I thought it would be. I can do this so off we set down to 20m along the chain to the Stengrath (sp?)

Dodging divers coming the other way, we get to the wreck and tootle around it with me posing for piccies. Phils got a new camera he's playing with. Contents reach the agreed level so we return the way we came dodging more divers with tunnel vision hurtling toward the wreck.

By this stage I'm not feeling so heroic, so signal for an ascent up the cliff. Phil gives me the Ok so up we go ... start to dump from the wing no problem but I can feel the suit expanding its not dumping so grab onto the cliff with one hand and use the other to dump the wing end up virtually emptying it. Ok I'm at 14m and neutral so I fiddle with the dump. Sodding thing seems jammed, it was working fine before I jumped in.

Right time to ascend whilst hanging on to the cliff occaisonally stopping to get the dregs out of the wing and to swear at the suit dump. By 6m I've managed to get enough out of the suit and wing to regain some control but what with the cold and lack of control I think bugger this. I hang onto a rock at 5m for a safety stop before getting out.

All in all I had an enjoyable time. Who says Stoneys boring. Though I've got to admit I'm glad the weather gods are on my side cos I dont think I really would have enjoyed diving this weekend what with all the above to fix.

Scotty

·
Registered
453 Posts
Imported post

All sounds horribly familiar Mark. Last Monday my buddy and I did the same at Wraysbury. We must have looked rather ridiculous diving a shallow muddy pond with twins, stages and argon cylinders. Even more ridiculous with the hours it seemed to take to get everything together, fixing leaking regulators, blowing o-rings all round the car park, and general cursing. Oh and my spring fin straps are too big - they'll be for sale soon!
I'm sure it wasn't this difficult last year, or am I going senile?!
Robert

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>It's the Stanegarth, if you wanted that for your logbook!

I have dives like that every weekend at Stoney. Except my drysuit's usually wet to the waist by the time I get out, too.

Gie us a price for the finstraps, then! I'll take 'em off your hands for a resonable price. I'm tired of the rubber ones! E-mail or PM me if you're serious.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Imported post

Hi Mark,

Good story (sat here at home on a Sat night
), but every time I dive at Stoney with the same weight as sea diving, I end up really heavy (last time I hit the bottom so hard I was  almost buried to my knees by the helicopter). How come you ended up so underweight? Or did I miss something - better read your post again....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How come you ended up so underweight? Or did I miss something - better read your post again....
Cos my dry suit dump jammed shut and so as I ascended all the gas trapped inside expanded increasing my bouyancy too much.

Scotty

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Now you see Mark

If you dived a tight suit like me and used your wing for boyency you wouldent have these probelms

Mark Chase

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If you dived a tight suit like me and used your wing for boyency you wouldent have these probelms
Believe me using 18/45 to fill it. It was tight.

Scotty

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

So that's Doing It Right in action, is it?

Should've topped the cylinder up with air - definitely stroke mix, but at least it would have been warmer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts