YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Hi

Got round to reading the latest Dive mag today. Theres an article all about wings. According to one BSAC officionado 'anyone who wears a wing with anything less than twin 12's is wearing it as a fashion statement' or something like that. BSAC, sometimes I'm ashamed

They then show a pic of the Halcyon Pioneer, designed for single cylinders FFS! Magazine articles, you've got to laugh

Oh, also we're supposed to use our drysuit for buoyancy (with twin 12's LOL) with our wing as 'backup' buoyancy.

Anyway, although I disagree with most of it, some divers thinking of wings may be interested.

Dominic helps out by talking about how to prevent the wing putting you facedown at the surface. Fame at last !!

So you guys, is a wing a fashion statement or (as I believe) is it the best thing you can buy to improve your diving? Give reasons so we can 'tell it like it is'.

Kindest Regards

Andy

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Well they need to look at their marketing more if they want to capture a whole new area of the market....

How about the Gucci Wing, The Prada Wing......

It could end up being the next must have accessory on the high street...

I am to say the least, amazed by the guys view that a wing is a fashion statement....  

I would acknowledge that it maybe true that some people may initially choose a wing because they see it as a fashion accessory but whatever there initial reason all of the people I know who use wings stick with them as they do prefer them to jacket style BCD's.

The bottom line is that if it was just about fashion, people would soon switch to something else....  Case in point, how many Mares HUBS do you see around...  Now theres a statement if ever I saw one (and Dom sums that up pretty well  
)

Daz

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wetlettuce @ Aug. 17 2003,18:32)]Hi

Got round to reading the latest Dive mag today. Theres an article all about wings. According to one BSAC officionado 'anyone who wears a wing with anything less than twin 12's is wearing it as a fashion statement' or something like that. BSAC, sometimes I'm ashamed

They then show a pic of the Halcyon Pioneer, designed for single cylinders FFS! Magazine articles, you've got to laugh

Oh, also we're supposed to use our drysuit for buoyancy (with twin 12's LOL) with our wing as 'backup' buoyancy.

Anyway, although I disagree with most of it, some divers thinking of wings may be interested.

Dominic helps out by talking about how to prevent the wing putting you facedown at the surface. Fame at last !!

So you guys, is a wing a fashion statement or (as I believe) is it the best thing you can buy to improve your diving? Give reasons so we can 'tell it like it is'.

Kindest Regards

Andy
Andy

I've just read it. The mag has been in plastic all w/e while i dived  
. My buddy was annoyed with the fashion statement comment. So am I. That has got to be one of the most stupid statements to come out of BSAC. From the National Instructor Chief Instructor no less.

Very disappointing from that direction, but fairly informative from the intro point of view. And well done to Dominic.

Adrian

·
Registered
50 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wetlettuce @ Aug. 17 2003,18:32)]According to one BSAC officionado 'anyone who wears a wing with anything less than twin 12's is wearing it as a fashion statement'
Ah, this reminds me of one of my favourite quotes: 'opinions are like a$$holes - everyone's got one'

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

I'm going to have fun reading this little article. National Instructor seems to mean very little to me any more. After having met a few.

Well, maybe I can get a few more club members in wings over the next few years. It's taken me 2 years to get one diver to do it, and I'm working on number 2. I've convinced another that he can afford it if he sells his shiny new buddy commando, so all I need to do now is find a ready source of cheap wings!

Has anyone got a good source for second hand OMS and CD wings? They're all the rage with the guys, despite me telling them they can get a buddy wing for the same price as a 2nd hand OMS/CD.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Imported post

Well that settles it. I'm definitely looking for a wing now...and it's got nothing to do with the fact that it may be trendy...
...but if anyone knows where I can get one in paisley with matching weight-harness and colour-coordinated cylinders could you let me know at [email protected]

·
Registered
453 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Oh, also we're supposed to use our drysuit for buoyancy (with twin 12's LOL) with our wing as 'backup' buoyancy.
Works for me and a number of people that I dive with (and that's with twin twelves, aluminium stages, argon cylinder, canister light etc.)
Perhaps you should look at how much weight you're carrying!

On the whole I thought the article pretty rubbish (apart from Dom's bit of course!) - especially didn't like the idea of cluttering the harness with pockets so that you can recreate the traditional BSAC Buddy jacket!
Regards

Robert

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]'anyone who wears a wing with anything less than twin 12's is wearing it as a fashion statement'
Presumably one of those people who thinks wings were designed solely to provide more lift to cope with their twin 15s and 12l steel stages

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Oh, also we're supposed to use our drysuit for buoyancy (with twin 12's LOL) with our wing as 'backup' buoyancy.
I'll never understand that one - in an article that claims a 50kg wing is there for people who genuinely needs a source of buoyancy that provides 50kg of lift also recommends using the suit for buoyancy??? How the hell do those two views meet in one article? Anyone out there fancy putting 50 liters in their drysuit whilst they're down below 50 meters?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Dominic helps out by talking about how to prevent the wing putting you facedown at the surface. Fame at last !!
Yeah - a direct C&P from my website has made it into print
Go me!
At least she left in the bit about too much buoyancy being a bad thing, even if she did use it a bit out of context...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] So you guys, is a wing a fashion statement
Well, obviously, mine is - after all, it's red. Can't be a serious bit of dive gear if it's not black, can it now?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] how many Mares HUBS do you see around...  Now theres a statement if ever I saw one (and Dom sums that up pretty well  
I actually added a page to that one recently - I put in a rebuttal to somebody else's rebuttal of my HUB article

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] if anyone knows where I can get one in paisley with matching weight-harness
It's not paisley, I know, but I've got some LOVELY rainbow-striped webbing kicking around...

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Aug. 18 2003,09:25)]
[b said:
My max dive load is twin 10s + ali 3 ltr and my dry suit works fine for buoyancy control during the dive and ascent.

When I have saved up and got 12s + a 5 or 7 for a bit more adventurous deco diving then maybe the drysuit won't be enough ?

In short the wing is for back up and surface support for me - there has been a big debate over this quite recently and I tried "the other way" and was most unhappy with it (not to mention colder too).

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hello I haven't read this article yet, is it in diver mag? In malta didn't arrive yet
 I think it all depends on the diving you do, for me when teaching students or using 10 or 12 liters, at the surface a wing is an pain in the a.. and prefer a normal BCD but for single 18l or twin 12's a wing is a must. The more you use , eg add stages ther more you find a wing is good and a BCD is no comperison. Also if I have to walk with cylinders I prefer the harness.

In my opinion it's just a tool, and you should always use the right tool for the right job.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I am frankly amazed that an item of Halcyon gear has made it into DIVE (even if it is the wrong picture). Funny how they don't mention DIR or anything like that. Probably just oblivious I suppose. The article on the whole is up to the standard I have come to expect from this magazine

PS. Does anyone else think that the OMS wing in the article looks like road kill?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Well, the caption says he uses a Halcyon "single bladder" wing - it could be that she got confused between "single bladder" meaning it doesn't have a separate inner and outer bag, and "single bladder" meaning it doesn't have two inner bags.

So she's probably under the illusion that the standard Halcyon twinset wings are all double-bladdered, if that's the case

·
Registered
24 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Aug. 18 2003,09:25)]
[b said:
I'll never understand that one - in an article that claims a 50kg wing is there for people who genuinely needs a source of buoyancy that provides 50kg of lift also recommends using the suit for buoyancy??? How the hell do those two views meet in one article? Anyone out there fancy putting 50 liters in their drysuit whilst they're down below 50 meters?
No But I'd like to see a film of the result. I'd also like to see you try that with your wing & we can all place bets on how far out of the water you will come ! even with the aforementioned twin 15's & 12l stages

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I knew this article would end up with the usual tired old equipment debate, especially the suit v BCD one, it'd be more interesting to hear about actual diving methinks...

Frankly I imagine that not mentioning DIR was a deliberate ploy because they know everyone is so bored with hearing about it.

Maybe I'm just a very buoyant fat git (don't think so), but yesterday (Farne Islands, seals galore, 2x 20m max dives for 55' & 50' respectively, with Howard the Diving Dude and pals/family) I was trying not to put air into my suit because I was on the cusp of positive buoyancy in the sea with 2x10s and my usual 12kg of lead, my wing buoyancy is really only for surface use or going deeper than 30-35m, I've absolutely no need of the bladder  on 90%  of dives

Anyway , it's just a magazine, it's just meant to be a bit of fun, but then hey !!! so is diving, well well well, who'd have thought that eh ?

Steve

·
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve W @ Aug. 20 2003,10:36)]I knew this article would end up with the usual tired old equipment debate, especially the suit v BCD one, it'd be more interesting to hear about actual diving methinks...
Hi

Not at all Steve, this thread is about whether a wing is a fashion statement when worn with anything less than twin 12's.

Diving is fun mate, and when not diving, talking about it is fun, as far as I'm concerned anyway, unless you travel to Divernet of course LOL. (oh, but you do. I forgot!)

So, what DO you think about your wing being declared a fashion statement as you wear twin 10,s an all? Of course, that assumes you want to make a valid contribution rather than calling the thread boring and thereby insulting all those who have contributed, seems to be a pattern of that nowadays.

Kindest Regards

Andy

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

If a wing is a fashion statement then I reckon...

Halcyon = Chanel, little black dress

OMS = Vivienne Westwood, bondage trousers

and that's where my inspiration runs out.  Oh well.

Personally I think that most women who wear twins don't wear twin 12s, but a harness is a better option for them when it comes to avoid chest "squeeze".  So bugger fashion and think about the fun cushions, that's what I say!

Does anyone really pay much attention to DIVE mag anyway?  I've bought it a few times and found it quite poor in general.  It is obviously aimed at its memebrship and it seems alot of you guys who dive in BSAC clubs find their open-mindedness to be on the low side when it comes to changing equipment.

Oh, and Steve, please don't tell us about your diving without a warning on the post.  It makes me jealous!

Byee

Lou

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It is obviously aimed at its memebrship
Hah! You've never seen the slagging it gets on the BSAC forums, have you?

The only reason I get Dive is I can't cancel the bloody thing - it's an integral part of BSAC membership.

Anyway, wings as a fashion statement: I reckon I could probably run up some nice red or black fishnet covers for them if anyone's interested..?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts