YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

was anyone else as pissed off as i was on sunday morning at capen wray. my buddy and i braved the thunder and lightening in york. got up early and drove to capen wray. we did intend to dive wast water but thats another story. we arrived at the car park at 0855hrs on sunday, having driven all that way knowing it opens at 0900hrs. however on arrival local plod was on the gate turning numerous cars away from  the site till the gate opened at 0900hrs. this was because a couple of locals had complained that parked cars at that time of morning had held up their newspaper deliveries. we had to drive about a mile and a half further to  find a place to park up before turning round to get in. i know what you are all thinking (its only five minutes) but what would the locals do if we all packed in visiting and took our passing trade elsewhere, there is loads of better free diving in the area. as for capen wray staff what would it cost for divers that have travelled miles to at least be allowed to enter the car park before 0900hrs but not enter water until 0900hrs. its not as if its not cost effective at the prices we are charged for our diving.  ps did anyone dive wast water on sunday. what was the weather like and the viz. cheers all.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Imported post

I concur, I thing the Cape are missing a trick here. When asked why they didn't open their gates earlier, we were told "if we opened at 8, there'd still be a queue to get in", Well, no I think. Not if you kept the quarry closed until 9.00am. There's the obvious advantage of opening the cafe earlier to take more money too, but isn't that what it's all about??

Geoff

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Ah yes,

the famous/infamous (delete as appropriate) British fuckwit attitude to that horrid and nasty thing called 'Customer Service'. Alas, it is a streak that runs through the psyche of the nation - we think service is beneath us and wouldn't know how to conduct same if it walked up and bit us squarely on the arse!

In the absence of any other evidence, Capernwray (indeed any inland dive site operating in such a shoddy manner) should be royally ashamed of themselves! Period. And, of course, they'll be the 1st to complain when (after their 'can't be arsed to open early to accommodate our paying customers and keep them happy' display) divers take their custom elsewhere (Eccy Delph, Anglesey, Lakes, Stoney Cove etc.)

Vote with your wallets people, it's the only way to make these buggers sit up and smell what they're shovelling.

Being a very placid guy, there are very few things which wind me up (bad manners, congenital idiocy, an inability to translate Herodotus's Histories from the orginal Latin text etc.), but poor customer service has to be in the top two. I've dangled waiters from restautrant windows in the past for taking the piss whilst I'm dining with Fiona - as Churchill said: "It is practise like this, up with which I shall not put!"

Vote with your wallets - it's the only thing these perochial, non-customer-driven wallahs understand.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

I don`t want to turn this into a lets slag off Capernwray (they might recognise me and come after me with a big stick!!), but the attitudes there do really stink sometimes. We use the site for training a hell of a lot and give them a lot of custom. The only thing we get back is the feeling that they are putting themselves out for us - no consideration of the fact that we have spent £6 to get in and will buy food, air and drinks from them aswell.  

As to the queing and access thing, they have just put a fu*king great gate across the access to the water - why not keep that locked until 0900.  I don`t think it would take much (other than paying a local 16 year old to be there early) to open the outside gate early and ask everyone to arrive between 8 and 9.  I think their opposition to doing this is that there would be the usual "lets get there early so we are near the water" (Stoney Cove). When you are travelling the distance some people travel, there is a fair difference in the time it can take (I only come from Leeds, so this is a bigger problem for people who come further), so their normal "you will have to plan your journey better rubbish", is just that, rubbish.

Unfortunately the place is far to convenient, it is perfect for beginners and has a compressor, changing facilities and a cafe. Sadly those of us who are involved in training in the Yorks area don`t really have much choice when we are taking about 20 new trainees at a time. We will keep going there - unless someone with a large wallet opens a site in Leeds with a huge training area between 3 and 18m, and then a large pit at one end for everyone to play in - and lets you dive there for £1!!

Paul

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Oh Dear - my button is pushed............

I work in an industry that demands excellent customer service, right product at the right time at the right cost. I have 300 people depending on the customer being happy and not goin elsewhere.

So, given My morgage relies on customers why is it that when I am a customer, the world treats me like a pain in the arse !!

Apart from the fact that I might be, be it builders that are late, gas people that piss you about when trying to fix a boiler, fascist jobsworths at the council, gormless idiots at tills who cant see a queue building, pricks who never have what you want in stock, holiday companies who change your plans without telling you etc etc I have developed an opinion that GB is becoming a nation of lazy, idle dont give a shit culture.

Rant over (I`ve had a bad week) I agree with the previous posters. Its a simple answer - open the gates earlier and the water at 9am - they make more in the cafe etc and get rid of us a bit earlier.

Can I suggest a board petition to capernwray to do just that.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Imported post

If they opened the gates a little earlier it might give them a little more time to fill my 15L cylinder to 232 instead of 190/200 and charge me 50p more than last year for the privilege.

Having said that, it is the only real gripe I have about the place, apart from f*****g lazy locals who cant walk to the paper shop and say hello when taking delivery of their Sunday broadsheets!!! As for the local constabulary, are there no crimes commited in North West Lancs / South Cumbria on Sat night/Sun morning for them to investigate?

Must be the smell of the bacon butties that gets them out of their patrol vehicles!! Where I live you have to use a can opener to get them to step on to the pavement!

Rant Over!!

have a nice Sunday!!
Cheers

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Seem a bit inflexible to me,
Not the most friendly bunch there at Capernwray are they? Have to admit been there half a dozen times myself with students or if i'm desperate.  Before I even paid the first visit there I heard adverse reports. Wasn't impressed on my last visit the shop staff treated me an another YD member as thicko's. Duuuuuuuuur

Seems to me it's a classic case of a business who perhaps considers themselves to have a monopoly on attracting visiting divers, maybe theres a perception they don't need to bother about Customer Service is a closed market.
In fairness Not just a Capernwray problem is it?
The simple answer "if you don't like it lump it" Other than the air services theres plenty of other sites in the lakes., without the diver congestion.  

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

How about someone who knows about all the other sites in the lakes doing a posting of where to go???
Please..
Thanks

Jules

G

·
Imported post

Jules,

Check www.freshwaterdiver.co.uk (or something like that) for everything you ever wanted to know about diving The Lakes but were afraid to ask!

Anyway, stuff the smelly hole in the ground, how about Farnes next Sunday if I can find a boat?

Take care,

Kevin

·
Registered
11 Posts
Imported post

Why do people arrive so early anyway?

If you get there at 10am, get kitted up, everybody who arrived at 9am are just coming out after there first dive. By the time your ready for your second dive the place is probably empty. Okay the vis gets a bit low, but if your as regular as I am, and were not talking high fibre diet regualr, then you can dive on auto-pilot to the far helicopter.

·
aka Rich.
166 Posts
Imported post

I was at Capernwray at the weekend for my first time. I can see your point re: car park opening. I also saw some examples of poor customer service from key customer facing staff in the dive/hire shops.

I'm of the opionion that Capernwray itself should get some of this feedback in the hope that we can improve the situation for everyone. My iniital thoughts were to send them a link of this thread but that's probably not fair to the people that have contributed that would prefer to remain ananymous on the issue.

Alternatively we could all email them directly and give them some feedback.Without wanting to sound boring I can't imagine they'll take it on board unless it's seen as constructive/helpful suggestions for improving the situation.

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

In answer to the "why get there early" question. The answer from me is 20 trainees, 10 instructors and probably 3 dives (perhaps more to iron out problems) in a day - and often a rescue scenario or to work in.

Paul

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

this sat i am gona dive wast water come hell or high water, anyone else interested send me a message. viz is about 20 to 30m at the mo. possibly a little better than the wray.:O

1 - 14 of 14 Posts