• NO

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
currently offshore, please leave a message
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

what do you think should there be a forum seperate from the rest dedicated to Accidents and incidents? Taking the form of a no flaming informative forum so that members of YD can gain information and know where to look for those sorts of posts.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Nah - it'd encourage us to go and have accidents just so we could talk about them

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Imported post

Yes I do there are several reasons for this..  One is during a 30-35M dive in the Solent mid summer this was about dive 40 for the year, I had a sudden urge to bolt for the surface and to be honest this scared the living shit out of me, so much so I made some lame excuse to call the second dive..  My next dive was back to 10 – 15 M about two weeks later..  I am no newbie to diving and never experienced anything like this before

I never said anything about this not even to my regular buddy, then I read on this forum that someone else had the same problem and suggested it was a panic attack brought on by Narcoses..  So I thought ok lets put the theory to the test so I did the same dive again but this time told my buddy all about the problem.  During the dive I felt a bit Narked but nothing near as bad as before and no urge to bolt. Back on the boat another, very experienced diver was aboard with her buddy.  Her buddy had the same problem as I did, but knew what is was however decided to call the dive after drifting of the wreck..  On the trip back we talked in depth about the reasons these attacks happen and came up with a few of our own..  One answer was to try NITROX so I did my course and now I use it on everything over about 10M and never seem to have a problem with Narcoses even down to 35M (my max depth to date) I don’t know if it was a one off problem, it may well have been and I am not saying NITROX is the answer so please don’t flame me. However I have never had a problem since if I feel a bit Narked I just ascend a bit until the feeling clears..  I suppose what I am trying to say with all this dribble is that I learnt that it’s not just me that’s had a few problems.

Another thing is I believe it should be just the FACTS posted and not someone making assumptions or posting rumours as these can have devastating results..  Learning from other peoples experiences, accidents, error, act of nature whatever are worth every word if they help or even prevent another diver reliving the same god-awful experiences …  

Just a few thoughts sat at work waiting for the day to end

Sean  

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Imported post

I agree with the idea of open, non-flamming, considered discussion of accidents and incidents. In genereal this is what I see anyway on these boards.

I'm not sure that having a seperate forum would help this. I think it would reduce the input on the discussions.

So my vote is to keep the discussions in the main rooms and keep the constructive comments and attitude that is already visible.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Imported post

Much of the time the reports of accidents don't contain enough relevant information to determine the cause of an accident /incident. Frequently they contain misleading information. Ideally we should learn by other peoples mistakes and suggestions for alternative training and procedures could be a positive step.  However we all know the best procedures after the fact, so we need to be very careful that we are not hyper-critical.

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

Maybe the way forward is for people to openly discuss their own incidents and what they learnt from them? I know that every time something has gone wrong on a dive i talk to my buddy and others about it and make sure i learn from it.

jules

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Of course it is good to discuss these issues openly so that we can all learn from them. The biggest advantage of YD over other fora is that there is a friendly environment in which this can be done.

But should we have a section especially for it? Well, I'd hope incidents were too few to justify it. As things stand such issues are being discussed anyway. And would a section dedicated to and full of incidents not tend to cause worry to those new to diving and browsing the site?

So, on the whole I'd say no, we don't need it. We're doing it anyway.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Agree with Julia and Mark, discussing your own incidents if useful, but I'm personally against the inevitable discussions which follow the (thankfully rare) serious incidents. I feel a measure of quiet acknowledgement is more appropriate until it becomes old news, talking about it too soon seems a bit like poor form.
All of course IMVHO...

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

I don't think a specific accident forum is needed.
So far we've had the humility not to flame or savage anyone who brings their misfortune to the boards. Long may it continue

1 - 9 of 9 Posts