YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

accidents and smoking - I need you to be VERY honest here.

• NON Smoker and never had a problemSmoker and had a problem

Votes: 0 0.0%

accidents and smoking

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Bantam 
#1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Please be honest in your replies.

I was wondering just how many divers have had any problem underwater that SMOKING may have cause the onset.

I for one is classed as a heavy smoker ( at least 20 a day ),but am fit,diving 4-5 days out of 7 in most weeks.

with hand on my heart i can say that i have never had any problems in diving that SMOKING may have been a cause of. IN FACT i find that it may help, as i use lots less air than most NON Smokers that are fit and my size and build.

#4 ·
Imported post

Yup. Smoker and had a problem. I will be the first to admit my RIB entry technique is gear off, handed up, wee fin kick, half in the boat and reach for the ****. It's my first thought after a dive. I read somewhere that if you're a smoker then add 10% onto your deco as well. I don't think smoking will be the cause of a bend, but it certainly will be a contributing factor as Carbon Monoxide attaches easier to your heomoglobin(near enough) than Oxygen or Nitrogen. So your cells are being used to transport the monoxide instead of the good O2 or Nitrogen.

Apart from that, it's just not big or clever!!!!!

Peter

#7 ·
Imported post

I'm with Jeremy Clarkson on this one - one of those globe-type lids, plenty of room to stoke one up good & proper.
Now you know why Finless is such an FFM advocate - bugger all to do with pollution/warmth etc.  Best way to have a tab on the sly when you're on stops. Though of course he'll deny it..
Only trouble is, when you're breathing 80% it don't half burn up quick.  We take a burns recovery kit with us when we know he's on the boat.  He used to have a moustache. And nose hairs.  And a nose for that matter. Just got to find a way of doing something about that bloody pony tail, but I've got a plan that involves surface supplied oxy-acetaline torches and a badly scorched hood. Scissors would be easier/safer, but where would be the fun in that?  You ain't seen me, right.

#8 ·
Imported post

I was always told that it destroyed the surficant in your lungs, which made them more prone to sticking together, which in turn increases the risk of a phnemothorax on ascent.

#9 ·
Imported post

I'm also, by your definition, a heavy smoker and have never had a problem either. My consumption is among the best in relation to those I dive with and my blood pressure, heart rate etc are all normal.
I do believe however it isnt affecting my performance (ooh err)and can cetainly contribute to a problem, that any diver might have, making recovery etc harder than for a non-smoker.
I dont smoke for at least an hour before a dive, allow some Carbon Monoxide to bugger off, but do grab the pack the moment my hands are dry.

#13 ·
Imported post

I'm a non smoking diver who has absolutely NO problem with his fellow divers smoking (it's your choice after all). If I am ever to be provoked into giving my opinion on anything other than aqauatic issues it will be that Picard is a far better captain than Kirk ever could be!  

#14 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (DougParker @ June 27 2003,20:09)]According to somebody on D/net, only the less well educated
amongst us smoke so i'm not going to tell you anything about my nicotine addiction, in case people think i'm a fikky.
It's not a case of adults being less edumacated. We all know it's bad for us and "most" folk, if they could, would go to the docs, get a jab, and never smoke again. The weans need taught differently about why they shouldn't. Saying to a kid "You'll end up skint and dead" won't/doesn't work as (a)They're too young to have any appreciation of money  and (b)Every kid thinks they are immortal anyway.
 If I knew the answer I'd tell the government.

Peter

#15 ·
Imported post

I think the current government campaign for kids - 'this kid is popular and cool ... and they don't smoke' is spot on.

#16 ·
Imported post

Ex-smoker, (never had a problem) can be a bit anti-smoking at times (esp early in the morning) but hey, it's your choice, you might get hit by a bus tomorrow, so go on , have a tab (***).

The "education" argument doesn't stand up to my experience, I know plenty of highly educated people who smoke, often they are medical practioners of some sort, or researchers who are well aware of the molecular effects. I don't think there's any way smoking will ever lose it's image of "coolness" as it generally goes with the "bad boy" image, which is always going to be thought of as cool.

Chee-az
steve

#17 ·
Rob Evans said:
I'm with Jeremy Clarkson on this one - one of those globe-type lids, plenty of room to stoke one up good & proper.
Now you know why Finless is such an FFM advocate - bugger all to do with pollution/warmth etc.  Best way to have a tab on the sly when you're on stops. Though of course he'll deny it..
Only trouble is, when you're breathing 80% it don't half burn up quick.  We take a burns recovery kit with us when we know he's on the boat.  He used to have a moustache. And nose hairs.  And a nose for that matter. Just got to find a way of doing something about that bloody pony tail, but I've got a plan that involves surface supplied oxy-acetaline torches and a badly scorched hood. Scissors would be easier/safer, but where would be the fun in that?  You ain't seen me, right.
Cigs in a globe-lid would be fun, but you couldn't use Jazz Cigarettes. Just think of where the hot rocks would go :(

In all seriousness, I'm now an ex-smoker and feel better for it, however, my freediving isn't as good as my CO2 limits have lowered :(

Mark.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.