YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Thats MISTER Blue Boots to you....
9,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A fortnight ago, I booked a nice cheap room in a pub down in Portsmouth, ready to stay the night on Wednesday evening, before pootling the 500 yards to the ferry terminal for Contixinong. (A bike email list weekend away in Normandy). My word, I was organised, within budget, and best of all close to the ferry, so no blatting along the M27 filtering trying to get there on time.

Well bugger me backwards with a forty foot pig tusked barge pole, if I didn't just get a phone call this afternoon from the lodgings saying "I'm sorry, we've double booked you with a group of contractors who are staying all week, so we can't house you on Wednesday"

F*ck, that to me screams "Someone came up to us and offered us a full weeks stay so we're going to shaft you completely to make a fast buck". Cnuts.

I've spent the last three hours ringing every place in Portsmouth and the surrounding areas, only to find everywhere is now booked solid, unless I want to pay 50+ pounds per night, which I ain't doing, for 8 hours sleep and no breakfast because I will have to leave before they serve.

Looks like I am now getting up at 3AM to ride down on the day. F*ck, Buggery, B*ll*cks and gonads.

I'm slightly miffed.

·
Beach-bum-Blonde Mafia ;o)
6,935 Posts
Ratty! You must be riled, I've never heard such language come from you :embarassed:

I hope you manage to find something soon-sharpish!

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Hi Ratty,

There are a few in Gosport that may be suitable, let me know if you want their numbers.

Anyway when I go down there I always drive down in the wee small hours it usually takes me 2hrs 50mins [legally] so should be 40'ish mins less for you.

Enjoy your break regardless mate.

Safe diving,
Steve

·
9,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies all.... most useful, I am just ringing a few of them now... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
That really hacks me off too. The last time it happened to me I had a go at the proprietor and insisted that he find alternative accomodation at the same price or recompense me the difference between his price and the price of alternative accomodation. When he baulked at this I explained that had the boot been on the other foor he would have charged me for the first night's rate. In the end he agreed to source alternate accomodation which was of the same standard.

I had paid the deposit so my bargaining hand was strong anyway but it still p1ss3s me off when a landlord mysteriously finds that he has no room for you when a big booking comes along.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
If you want accommodation in Portsmouth just tell them you are a mate of the Diving Dude :) That will help :) :) :)

·
The worlds slowest sailor.
2,970 Posts
name and shame.

or next time make the booking as a shed load of contracters

·
The Artist known formerly as 'ScubaRGN2'
386 Posts
Try 01329 230669 we stayed there for son's presentation, very nice friendly house.

·
9,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In true YD style, you lot have saved the day again :)

Although I didn't get in at any of the places recommended, one of the places I rang suggested somewhere else, so indirectly I'm sorted for Wednesday night. I just need it to stop raining for the ride down now :frown:

Thanks everyone, :thumbsup: :beer:

·
Spider Crabs can just f*ck off
16,005 Posts
Ratty! You must be riled, I've never heard such language come from you :embarassed:

I hope you manage to find something soon-sharpish!
LOL, I was just about to post exactly the same thing!

Language, Ratty!!!!

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
That's a bit odd, it worked differently on the Continent for me. I was staying in a guest house (in the Hague) long term, they booted me out so they could house a few guys for a couple of days, they thought the booking with me was safe.
Funny old world.

Glad you got sorted, even the weather looks like its going to play ball.

Matt

·
Sub-optimal DIR wannabe
1,038 Posts
Simple. Just join the navy and book yourself into the mess.

No need to thank me ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts