YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

There have been a few postings recently on the various effects of food additives, drugs etc etc. From the benefits of a fine Bordeaux nuking the free radicals to the potential nasties of the  breakdown products of aspartame.
Can any one recommend any light(ish), non Phd !  reading on the subject
It would be nice to be ahead of the curve for once

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

This was a site I signed up to yonks ago, you can choose to get e-mails with interesting snippets of science or simply read the archives.

http://www.nutritionnewsfocus.com/

The advantage is that the "owner" gives you a pretty good perspective on the value of relevant  nutritional science , and all in three little paragraphs! He/she regularly debunks the nutritional charlatans (and there are probably more of them than any other type of con-man).

Personally, I sometimes find that the articles are oversimplified and some (IMO) relevant factors can be omitted but its a good starting point to get the info you need from amongst all the techno-babble.

Also, look for stuff (books, magazine articles etc) by Bruce Ames, a top bod in the nutrition/free-radicals field and quite good at getting his point across simply and clearly

Chee-az
Steve

·
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Thanks Steve - I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Imported post

just a quick note on this subject.....i'm giving up smoking, and i'm using patches, does this have any adverse effects on diving.....i.e pressure etc

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Scottie
you dont get off that easy, well done in giving up, you know it makes sense. I find a good line when buying new kit is, well IF I smoked I'd spend this much and have NOTHING to show for it except ill health etc.
Best of luck.
Dont know of any adverse effects re: diving and patches, but I'm no doctor.
Matt

·
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Matt, gave up **** AND most booze to help justify kit buys. Still get it in the neck.

Scottie, make sure the purge on your reg is well up to it. A good cough at 20m (any depth even) will fill the mouthpiece up a treat for a while.  :washmouth:

Its all in the mind

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

That's a charming thought Ritchie, yak!

I'm guessing you mean those nicorette patches? I personally wouldn't worry unless you really think you're feeling some side effects as pressure is said to increase the effects of many drugs, if you're particularly concerned you can e-mail this on-line diving doctor , I did once and he was quite quick to reply
<[email protected]>

Apparently Zyban usage means you'll be out of the water though (see link) have a look on the packet of your patches to see if the active ingredient is listed amongst the others on  http://scuba-doc.com/psych.htm  

Best of luck with the quitting, just think of all the kit you can buy with the money saved :biggrin:
Chee-az
(ex-smoker) Steve

(Edited by Steve W at 3:44 pm on Feb. 3, 2003)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts