YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>So THAT's how it works?

I had a revelation today!

Another dive on Belgica since spawning Nudibranchs have been spotted several places on her. On the bottom I found a piece of white plastic and realised I could try setting the whitebalance for the first time...

WOW.

The information in the picture was fantastic. I got so much more of it! In the end almost all one has to do is to do a bit of autocontrast and in my case a bit less red since I took most of my pics 5 meters higher than the plastic piece was  

Going in tomorrow again. White piece of plastic will forever be a standard part of the kit.

Couldn't be bothered to do too much with these. Still a bit too much red in them. But hey ho, this is fun!

Notice the red bits being awfully red. Like said, because of a bit of overcompensation due too more light higher up than "setting depth".

Too much red in this just to prove my point. Pic was taken at 17 meters without any additional lighting:

·
Fair weather diver
131 Posts
Imported post

Nice pics. What camera is it?

There was a chap a dive show giving a talk on underwater video.  He had painted one of his fins white and pointed his camera at that to get the white ballance.

Nick

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Those colours really are much better Kyrre, although I see your point about the reds.  Sometimes if the camera has to put too much red back into the piccy it can go haywire.  Have you considered a colour correction filter?  Even a mild magenta (for your waters) should help with the white balance but will impact on light getting through - so longer shutter times or wider aperture.  

Also, some cameras need a standard grey card (about 18%) instead of white to auto-balance properly.  I don't know about your camera but this may help even further.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Thanks Tim and Nick.

About filters I don't think I'll be going that way since my Canon S40 isn't that good aperturewise. I'll try out with a grey card.. and that point about a white fin was very good... only problem i make out a lousy model for other photographers.
Back to the thinkbox. Today's dive wasn't that successfull when it comes to pictures. Didn't help that my torch died  
 again.

Kyrre

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Interesting Kyrre! I have a friend who has come a long way with underwater digital photography. He uses a 5 mp camera (Canon PowerShot S45) and no filter or external flash. He says the secret to succesful u/w-photography is to learn to use the white balance function. Like you, he uses a piece of white plastic. His results are amazingly good. I've seen his pics projected on a large screen and they are so sharp and colour-saturated you would think they were 35 mm slides.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Mar. 09 2004,15:56)]I've seen his pics projected on a large screen and they are so sharp and colour-saturated you would think they were 35 mm slides.
Looking at the pictures I took today I have a long way to go  
Didn't quite get it right me thinx.

oh well, can't win'em all.

Kyrre

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

not sure i understand how this white balance thing is supposed to work. i did the white balance just meessing in my dining room and then when i took a pic the cream coloured wall became blue, not pale blue or white with a tinge of blue but blue blue! better read uo on this one or just the WB set to auto!
jules

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Norseman @ Mar. 08 2004,22:50)]On the bottom I found a piece of white plastic and realised I could try setting the whitebalance for the first time...

WOW.

White piece of plastic will forever be a standard part of the kit.
<font color='#0000FF'>I thought that was wot your slate was for.

wack

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

You need a piece of white background big enough to fill the viewfinder on a "normal" setting, not macro, so slates are out. Auto is best for land use and manual is best for underwater, but not very convienient. That's why I have some "estimated" white balance settings for "my mode" for different depths, not as accurate but far easier and you can adjust it more with software on the PC. (oly 5050z)

James  

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>My problem is that I don't have any "my modes" on my Canon S40. So I actually have to set the whitebalance every time I'm at a different depth in order to get it right.
I ended up taping up my torch with white tape. Did the same on the sheath as a back up. Fiddled about with it today and got it partially right towards the end...

Kyrre

1 - 11 of 11 Posts