YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi all,

I'd like to do an advanced nitrox course later on in the year. Can anyone please tell me what the difference is between IANTD and TDI? are the courses massively different? Will I need a twinset?

I've got the pre-requisites for the IANTD course but would like to know of any real experiences...

Cheers all,

Noel

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I think they are quite similar Noel. I did the TDI one this Feb with DalesDivers and Andy Hayhurst. IANTD and TDI were both started by the same guy I think, just that he sold/moved on and started TDI afterwards.

Go for it, and go to Dales Divers. The instruction and Instructors were excelent. Its a great place to visit and to say you've dived, the Lakes. Phil Ennis works for Andy Now i think and he's spot on. So does Paul Hinchliffe and his a top guy too. Not to mention Bret from DW. And anyone else there that weekend I 've forgotten to mention. Thumbs up for them. Did I mention they're DalesDivers << Link

Dave C
TDI Adv.

·
Armchair diver and slummy mummy
592 Posts
Imported post

Not sure if you've got the message yet Noel, but Dave really enjoyed his TDI advanced nitrox course at the end of February. He booked a cottage for all ten of them to stay in for the weekend (my idea despite what everything Dave is telling everybody).

Josie

·
more weaselly than a weaselly thing
3,628 Posts
Imported post

Erm,

IANTD is a minimal deco course (something like 10 mins at 6m), TDI is a no deco course.

IANTD allows up to 50% O2. TDI allows up to oxygen.

Both allow you to take it without a twinset, both require a stage tank.

A lot of people combine things like 'deco procedures' courses, to get what they want from it.

Like most things, its not about the agency, its about the instructor..... Find one you like and get out there to enjoy it

·
Armchair diver and slummy mummy
592 Posts
Imported post

Although we did use a Stage tank for the third dive it was supplied by My Hayhurst and no charge for gas either.

Dave C (under Josie phner phner)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>IANTD is twins and stages not singles, unless changed since I did it.

I would advise TDI with Dalesdivers!  but then I would say that wouldn't I.

·
3,628 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Phil Ennis @ Mar. 23 2004,23:08)]IANTD is twins and stages not singles, unless changed since I did it.

I would advise TDI with Dalesdivers!  but then I would say that wouldn't I.
Phil,

If I remember right, its a dual outlet valve + 1 stage. Or a single cyl/valve + two ponys.

Basically, redundant bottom mix + stage gas.

To be honest, I struggle to see the benefit of doing a course thats preparing you for accelerated deco unless you're carrying a reasonably large and redundant gas supply.

Still, each to their own  

PS. whats the diving like up in those lakes, is there owt to see? Im sposed to be up that way soon and wouldnt mind going for a bimble

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Hi Zack, there is good and bad but bad as in good for training. Hope that makes sense.

Off to Wastwater tomorrow which is usually great vis, big drop off and depth if you want it. If you are heading up this way then PM me, I will be diving every hour I can as my YBOD should be here any day now, yippee I feel like a kid again.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Another vote for the Dalesdivers boys. Even Phil.

Well worth doing, and you get more than just the manual with these guys, I'm looking to do Deco Proc when the budget allows, and I know where I'll be going for it.

Mark Powell is on the boards and does courses down south, don't know if anyone's done his courses yet, but I'm sure they'll be able to offer feedback.

Up to 100% does make a difference, as 50% I got with the BSAC course and found it to be a bit of a waste of time. Might as well go all the way.

There were guys on singles on the TDI course, too, I dive twins and so I took the twins, Andy even lent me a set for day 2 in the water for no charge, if you dive singles take a single (needs to be O2 clean really), basically use the gear you would normally use, with a view to the sort of diving that might come up.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Mind out for Paul Hinchcliffe, he's got a strange way of swimming with no fins on! And funny coloured tanks! Burn him! Here come the flames!

He is really never going to live this down, is he. Oh dear. Poor man.

Just like when I lost a 2nd stage and hose rolling in off a boat. When they say make sure everything's tucked in, make sure it is kids. It makes one hell of a loud hissing otherwise!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Imported post

Unless it has changed drastically;

IANTD - 50% may be used only as a safety gas during decompression (no acceleration).  If you think that Basic Nx is intended to make your no stop diving safer then Advanced  makes your deco diving safer.  I am not aware of any restrictions in stop times - if the dives on the table you can do it.

The equipment you need for the IANTD Advanced course is a single cylinder and a 'pony' for use as a stage.  Redundancy is talked about extensively but your not required  to be redundant.  In fact when I did my course I had to strip my twins apart and go back to a single.

If you don't go any further, Advanced would allow you to make deco dives, using 50% to mitigate the increased DCI risks.  If you intend to go further, it provides a grounding in technical dive planning, stage handling and gas switching.  When your comfortable with the new skills, you go back for Technical Nitrox or Normoxic Trimix; both of which require fully redundant setups (twinsets) and include lots of practical lessons using them.

As far as the differences in TDI and IANTD go.  I put it down to the agency directors.  Tom Mount (IANTD) is a bit of a hippy and idealest - hence IANTD courses are very detailed but with little attention pad to presentation.  Bret Gilliam (TDI) is more of a business man - hence you get better presented materials and a set of limits which encourage TDI gaining market share.

Whichever course, your instructor is more important than the course itself.  I have always gone for instructors that are actively using the techniques they are teaching.  The more demanding the better.

YMMV
Matt

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I did IANTD at scapa scuba.  Found the course good, but only goes up to 50% for deco.  It did, however, make sure you were a competent diver as well with navigation etc, serious dive planning and sending up blobs every dive.

·
TDI Instructor Trainer
2,949 Posts
Imported post

The only major difference between the IANTD and TDI course is that TDI lets you use up to 100% wheras the IANTD course is up to 50%.

After that the choice of agency is less important than the choice of instructor.

Some IANTD instructors will only let you do the Advanced course if you are using a twinset and a stage but there are others who will let you do it in singles and a stage. There may be TDI instructors who mandate twins but it is not essential. I taught the course last weekend to two students who were both in singles and borrowed a stage each from me for the course.

As I said the main choice is finding a good instructor. If you are near the lakes then Mr Hayhurst at Dales Divers is an excellent choice.

I would also consider combining advanced nitrox with deco procedures. Advanced nitrox lets you use up to 100% as a safety margin on your deco, deco procedures lets you use accelerated deco and prepares you for longer or more adventourous deco.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I did the IANTD one back in '97 we had to supply at least a single and a redundant source, in my case a pony and we were also provided with another pony / stage.

I think there are easier test papers though  

FB

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Unless it has changed drastically;

IANTD - 50% may be used only as a safety gas during decompression (no acceleration).
I did IANTD adv nitrox at Stoney in sept 2000 (during the petrol crisis, never seen the car park so empty on a sunday!) and we were taught accelerated deco on 50% using the IANTD EAD table. Agree was a fantastic course, far more in it than the BSAC combined.

IANTD/TDI all come at a price though, the last BSAC combined I ran was £45

Paul

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I did the BSAC combined nitrox (50% max limit) then about 10 months later the TDI one. The TDI one gives you far more freedom to use it how you see it fitting in with your diving, whereas the BSAC one is too limiting with it's 50% max. If the TDI one was limited to 50% too, I wouldn't have bothered doing it.

·
3,628 Posts
Imported post

Just a thought......

If you look into the Inert gas gradients, deco schedules etc 50% starts looking very appealing. That aside, theres two simple reasons I teach people to use it;

1. Easier to get fills at full pressure (no one dies of too much gas!)
2. If you blow your bottom gas for any reason, its a lot easier to get to 21m, than 6m.

Still... everyone has their own reasons.....

PS. Phil, you shouldnt have said that, you're added to my PM contacts list ;)

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Imported post

Thanks Guys

1 - 18 of 18 Posts