YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well where do i start we signed for this course back last year and finally got a weekend with Mark for the course in Plymouth, it started with the Friday afternoon i met Gary at the Mountbatten centre and we started playing with the spools and reels we brought just to decide what ones we would be using.

i Had the idea to unravel the spool and count the meters on it to make sure, we did this and decided that it was not long enough for the course so i started to wined in and in no time had tangled Gary and me up to the table and chairs :frown: not a good start and we haven't had the input of Mr Powell yet!!

Mark arrived around 4:30 and we went through a few things for the course and agreed to meet up at the centre for Seeker tomorrow, weather wasn't very good but the skipper assured us it would be OK, so off to the B&B to check in and then around to the Borie for a meal.

DAY 1

We boarded the boat and kitted up this was a boat that was part of JasonP's trips and we had managed to get on for the two days great, but the trip out was not so great and after donating my breakfast to the fish, along with Gary's breakfast (i came out in sympathy) we arrived at the Elk 33 meters and a 2 foot swell great! still the brief was line off and treat it as an overhead location, and then those famous words "well see how it goes :)".
Down the shot and onto the wreck the swell at 33 meters was about 3-4 foot left and right however we lined off Gary first and went in a large square around the wreck, Mark came over i thought to tell me how brilliant we were but no he told me i had no air although i tried to tell him i had loads he wouldn't have none of it so i ended up sharing Gary's, then he wanted my mask, as well as Gary's, so maskless and air sharing we made our way around the line to the shot where he gave them back, Gary retrieved his reel and we called it.

Back on the boat we delayed the debrief because some divers were lost on a drift and the rib driver hadn't a clue where they were, luckily Steve the skipper knows the tides and went to where he thought they would come up. Sure enough they surfaced and Steve contacted the rib to tell them where the divers were, we then went around to the bay and had a break from the waves, after two hours we dropped in for some more lining off and it would be me first, so down the shot tie off and lined out, we kicked up some silt and after the lack of tie offs we headed back and then back out in another direction, with Mark following it feels like your a gazelle and Mark was the prying lion just waiting to pounce it was just when.

We found a tie off and went on then called it and started back i watched mark whisk Gary's mask off him and smiled thinking I'm OK this time then like a rattle snake he turned in my direction; i was like a rabbit caught in the headlights waiting for the bang he took my mask and wrapped the string over the manifold, I was doomed i tried to reel in but in the confusion reeled the wrong way and the biggest birds nest ensued line every F*** Where and what sounded like Mark laughing (i later found out he was) after attempts to remove the line didn't work i waited for Gary who was waiting at the tie off thinking I'm young enough to get another buddy!! Mark final had some compassion and let me loose i found Gary and we reeled back to the shot maskless again.

as i come up on the lift the bundle of line was enough that they started laughing well at least someone had a laugh, then we got them words from Mark "so how do you think that went" mmmmm well my fins hit the water and thats when it started. So back to the B&B to discus the days events it was quicker to discus what we did right, and with that note we went over for a meal at the Borie.

DAY 2

today was allot better calmer seas and better vizability ..... well until we got there :) we arrived at the Maine in plenty of time the plan was to drop in and swim the length with line out and in, we got there lined off and went along to the engine compartment and boilers once inside the boilers/engine room i had a shutdown drill i dropped the line did the drill and in feeling for the line put my arm in up to the elbow in silt once i removed this it was every where Mark then come along and told me i had run out of air again, whats up with Gary so Gary donates his reg to me and we made our way back After mark took the masks off, i managed to get back with Gary behind me and when the masks were back on i noticed a trickle of blood on Gary's forehead Oops we thumbed the dive and went up, once back on the boat we dekitted for lunch and went off for the Persier.

after the usual "so how do you think that went" brief we had lunch and got ready to drop in on the persier, Gary was lining off this time, we dropped in and moved off along the line after some time Mark pounced and i was told to close my eyes and he took me off for the lost line drill, at this point i went off in the wrong direction and then came back went off again and just manage to hit the reel on the way back i was given the mask back, and Gary was taken off for some of the same, when we got back Mark wanted the masks again and we reeled back to the start, but then just for good measure (or badness) he tied up the only crossing point i reached it to find it blocked Gary came alone and i managed to get through. At the next point was my mask i put it on and went back up the line to free off Gary and pull him through to the mask we got sorted and thumbed it.

Back on the boat I was feeling quite pleased it had gone allot better and we had made big changes since we started, mark came over and after a debrief he gave us both a pass, so despite being like an old married couple as Mark put it we do work well under the waves :)

this is a good course to do and one i would recommend to anyone Mark does this bit where hell push you until your unhappy with it and then kick you that little bit further, i was getting used to no viz/mask and using touch feel, the biggest thing i got from this is that although line can bring you back to the shot/start point it can also leave you tied in the wreck if you get it wrong. its a double edge sword thats not forgiving

Graham

chocolate boy will be along to put his bit in, but my flash cards were better :) shame Mark can't see them under water :frown:

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sure I remember a lot more chundering going on than you mentioned :D

Jason
artistic licence i took the language out and most of the chunder for the pre 8 O'clock watershed :)

Graham

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Nice report Graham. Glad you survived :)

·
Guru
7,112 Posts
Well done mate - funny how this style of training gives you a much greater respect for line isn't it? :D Sounds a lot like Tech1 :eek: Once you've had to find your way back down a line with your buddy, blind - your line laying improves 1000% :D

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
Well done Guys!

Glad you made it alive, unbent and passed.

I hope the eye infections will clear up soon after all that silty water was in them for so long:)

I am sure it is reassuring to know that if you ever get tied up in line on a 'real' dive that Gary will happily surface and keep some of the choccy biscuits for you whilst you try and deal with it :D

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Well done Guys!

Glad you made it alive, unbent and passed.

I hope the eye infections will clear up soon after all that silty water was in them for so long:)

I am sure it is reassuring to know that if you ever get tied up in line on a 'real' dive that Gary will happily surface and keep some of the choccy biscuits for you whilst you try and deal with it :D
I'm looking forward to this one more and more!!! :D Roll on August, eh, Ardhill! :)

Well done on the pass guys!! Sounds like you did great!

·
3,241 Posts
I'm looking forward to this one more and more!!! :D Roll on August, eh, Ardhill! :)
Oh, I can't wait :rolleyes:

I especially liked the bit when Graham said: "Mark does this bit where hell push you until your unhappy with it and then kick you that little bit further"

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Oh, I can't wait :rolleyes:

I especially liked the bit when Graham said: "Mark does this bit where hell push you until your unhappy with it and then kick you that little bit further"
I'm going to tell him that I'm unhappy with going in the water. Then we can just drop in, have a little fin around and get out again :)

Bugger, I've just divulged my plan!!! :embarassed:

:D

At least we have plenty of time to practice these skills before then.... If we were both in the same country it might be better though! Arse! :D

G

·
I think "clusterfcuk" was mentioned more than once on day 1 :D but would agree that Marks teaching style is spot on, he pushes you to the limits of your comfort zone, then past it just enough for you to realize how dangerous diving can be

It was a great course. No it won't allow you to dive any deeper, no different gases, etc. It was more of a skills course, as said, the line can be your life-saver, it can also hurt you. A bit like headbutting the Maine with no mask on :(

Cheers Mark
Cheers Graham

G

·
3,241 Posts
he pushes you to the limits of your comfort zone, then past it just enough for you to realize how dangerous diving can be
I think I will just tell Mark that I understand that overhead diving is really really dangerous and deserves the utmost respect - that should convince him enough so he doesn't have to push me :angel:

I hope your head gets better Gary, you want to borrow my helmet?

·
Beach-bum-Blonde Mafia ;o)
6,935 Posts
Great report!

Funnily enough, I have adopted the phrase 'so ... how do you think that went then?', sadly, I still have the voice going through my head too :frown: - it still scares me too :redface:

G

·
yeap, I said to Mark that he should put it in his Will for his gravestone inscription

Here lies Mark Powell
"so, how do you think that went?"

;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts