YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

At the end of March I am heading off on an extended trip of about 5 months and would appreciate any info that you can supply or advice from those who may have visited the areas we are going to.

I have been doing my homework so thought the easiest way would be to state the destination and intended dives and see if anyone can advise against or offer better diving tips.

Most of my info has been dragged off the net and can be a bit impersonal and biased towards the operators of the sites visited so any advice will be much appreciated.

1st stop… Cook Islands…..

Would appear that I will not be spending too much on the diving here as the reefs have suffered from Crown of Thorns invasion and the wrecks were broken up by typhoons over the last couple of years.

2nd stop… Fiji….

Dived here a couple of years ago but stuck to one budget resort for three weeks but would appear that there is plenty of good diving to be found all over the islands.

3rd stop…. New Zealand….

Fabulous country, I have visited twice but never dived here.

Bay of Islands a must, taking in Poor Knights and the Rainbow Warrior.

Drift dive in the river at Taupo.

Wreck of the Mikhail Lermantov at Picton.

Dive with the seals at Kaikoura

If we get that far then a dip in Milford Sound

4th stop….East Coast Australia….

Great Barrier Reef and the Coral Sea. It would appear that the trick here is to avoid the grossly overpriced liveaboards…… couldn’t believe £1600 for a week.

5th stop…. Thailand…..

I haven’t really thought too much about this as there seems to be diving absolutely everywhere, so if anyone has any must do destinations then please let me know.

The destinations are booked so I cannot alter these now. I know I could probably have fitted in a few other exotic locations but this is very much a budget trip. I am also hoping to supplement the budget by doing a bit of graft along the way as two of us are instructors and we also have a chef.

So fire away and lets see what advice you can offer,

Thanks.

(Edited by Phil Ennis at 4:26 pm on Feb. 25, 2003)

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Hi Phil,

Thailand....  Skip the diving around Phuket, Phi Phi and jump on a liveaboard heading out to the Similan Islands and Richeleau rock...

Daz

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Phil

You lucky s*d, anyway now thats over if you go to this link the BSAC travel club you will see several reports, including Thailand and the Simian Islands, by a mate of mine Dave Covey aka The Cove or 86Charlie.

http://www.bsactravelclub.co.uk/where/thailand.htm

He runs a divers advice and resourses facility on Samu (think i spelt that wrong). He is an ex squaddie mate of mine from years back. He also works at the Chamber on the Island. Take more than the normal precautions against getting bent as he may end up squeezed in the chamber with you and he is 6' 12'' and 19 stone (ish).

Have a great time.

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
Imported post

HI PHIL

I SPENT 3 DAYS ON PHI PHI ISLAND AND FOUND THE DIVING VERY GOOD THE VIS WAS BRILLANT AND PLENTY TO SEE IF YOU WANT SOME DIVE COMPANYS GIVE ME A SHOUT AND I WILL SEND SOME THAT I USED
RICH

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

East coast of Australia: The best diving is in the Coral Sea, e.g. Flinders Reef and Holmes Reef, a long way outside the GBR. That means a liveaboard, of course. There are a few good, inexpensive liveaboards, e.g. the Undersea Explorer. The "Yongala" is a classic wreck dive. The wreck itself is just an upside-down hull but there's a huge amount of life on it as it is the only thing in the channel, surrounded by a huge expanse of muddy bottom.
Thailand: The good diving starts at Similan Islands and it gets better as you go further north (Surin, Richelieu Rock and Burma Banks, where you are certain to see Silvertip sharks - huge, beautiful fish).

(Edited by John Gulliver at 9:21 pm on Feb. 25, 2003)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

Oi Ennis - NO!

Thought it was just me that would have the pleasure of not being in the country this summer ! Hope we can catch up for a swift one before we part mate - no dodgy greenhouse erection stories this time

Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Paul and Tara,
Will be an absolute pleasure to meet for a drinky before I go.
Please dont tell everyone about my erection in the greenhouse, I have a reputation to maintain you know.
When are you  coming up this way next ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts