YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of buying a RIB for use with a few friends and need some advice, makes, models, equipment, rules and regulatons, everything really, and finding places to dive.
Would like the views from them that have done the same, any help would be appreciated.

Chris

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Might be worth having a look at RIBNet.

We have a club boat, which is a 5.8m Humber Destroyer with a Optimax 135 on the back. Goes well, had 30kn with 6 on board, including 4 twin 12s, 1 twin 10 and 1 twin 7 :)

Get some seamanship training and a VHF licencse!

dan

·
The man who makes nice "SHINY" things
1,706 Posts
Try boats and outboards or find a boat

There are some boat magazines out their that may help you, if you find a boat take some one a long who knows what they are looking at who can ask the right questions regarding it.

What is your budget for the boat.

Best of luck in finding the right one

John

·
PADI Internet Specialty Diver
10,679 Posts
A spreadsheet is a good starting point. Having worked out the cost you might (will) want to reconsider.

Fixed costs for a (properly equipped and insured) 6m RIB are about £800-1,200 (excluding depreciation) a year and variable costs about £1.20 per nm. (Towing to site and launch fees excluded).

The UK is crazy - there are no rules or regulations. However, when it goes wrong there are a new breed of no-win no-fee lawyers :D

No way I would bother if I lived in Leeds. (I love boats and diving and don't care about the money). The main advantage of your own boat is being able to visit new sites and if you need basic advice you're a while off that IMO.

What about joining a club with a boat - see how they go about things, find out the costs and stuff, maybe use them to get some training and experience (the experience is the main thing - you need a lot of it) before shelling out. The sea will be there in a year or two and hopefully so will be the 10 grand or so you need...

Sorry - I really hate to piss on people's bonfires (esp when its someting I love more than diving - boats) but it really needs some carefull thought. Another pisser is that someone always misses the dive 'cos they are cox.

Chris

·
It will never work!!
126 Posts
Light a bon fire in your back garden and start throwing £20 notes into it.... same effect....:redface:

No but seriously don't rush into it, bear in mind your fuel costs will not be a consideration compared to maintenance costs. If you can do most of it yourself then excellent.

I bought a Valliant DR490 basically a 4.9m, I built a console for it and I put a Mariner 75 2 stroke engine on to it. I am really pleased with it except it's a shallow V and you have to slow down quite allot in rough water compared to say a Humber 5M deep V.

It is 9 years old and looks very reasonable. One day it rained allot and when the sun came out I noticed there was still water dripping out from under the back. You could imagine my horror to find the tubes were coming away from the hull!!! (you've got to be prepaired for the odd shock)

I stripped it and glued it back together myself 3 years ago and touch wood it's fine now.

The Mariner outboard engine I bought else where. I noticed it got harder and harder to go into forward gear. Eventually I was forced to strip the gearbox down. It cost me over £100 in seals and gaskets just to put it back together ( I won't tell you how much the parts cost ) and that's doing it myself!!!

4 stroke engines are quieter and a bit more economical but the service costs are much higher. There is alot of debate between 2 and 4 stroke engines.

2 stroke engines are on their way out sadly ....but have less to go wrong and take allot more abuse.

Find about about availability of parts -

In my experience people sell RHIBs secondhand either because they foresee problems or they buy on impulse and the buzz wears off.

People sell engines because they forsee problems looming, if you have an engine which you know is good it's unlikely you're gong to get rid of it.

At the end of the day a RHIB is a tool to get you to the dive sites, if you treat it as a pleasure craft that's a different kettle of fish.

Make sure others in your group pay their way and don't take advantage.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Thinking of buying a RIB for use with a few friends and need some advice, makes, models, equipment, rules and regulatons, everything really, and finding places to dive.
Would like the views from them that have done the same, any help would be appreciated.

Chris
Really you need to figure out exactly what you are doing with it. How many divers will you get on a regular basis. That will determine the size of the boat then the power unit will come in a range.
Is it only private use. 4 Divers max may be enough. If it is for a shop or club then maybe you need to transport 8 divers and kit. That will be quite a big boat.
I spec'd mine up for 4 divers with 15litre bottles. Really thats out of date nowadays as alot of people dive with twinsets.

The main difficulty is getting people to dive with you. Can you get enough people to dive alot of the time and justify the cost. Are they going to be able to dive to the levels that you want.
Also where do you keep it. If you are lucky enough to have a garage that will take it. Mine is 8' with the A Frame and it wont fit in a Garage.

If you are getting a new one then I recommend that you visit the 3 main builders in the area. Tornado at Hull, Humber at Hull and Northcraft. They will let you look around their factories at other RIBs being built. Personally I found Northcraft totally useless. Phoned them loads of times but they couldnt be bothered. But alot of people like them cos they are at the cheaper end of the scale. (So I am told)

You will need to pay about £200/£300 a year for Insurance. £200-£400 for servicing the engine. £200-£300 periodically for the trailer and boat serviceing. They take a lot of cleaning. If outside then you need a cover. You may need to pay £200 or so a year for storage.

They also depriciate to half in about 3 to 4 years.

They ARE a money pit.

I bought mine about 5 to 6 years ago when it was approx 1/3 the cost of a house. I really wish I had bought a house instead.

But it is really great being able to pick and chose where to go. If I can get the crew.

Good Luck

Gary

·
It will never work!!
126 Posts
I spec'd mine up for 4 divers with 15litre bottles. Really thats out of date nowadays as alot of people dive with twinsets.

I didn't think twin sets was a sign of the times - most of us in our group got fed up with the sheer weight and space taken up in the RHIB that we went back to single 15s

·
10,679 Posts
I'm not doubting you here Chris, but could you break those figures down, as its not my experience of the cost.

Cheers,

David.
People's costs will vary on the size and type of boat. However, some fairly constant things are insurance at 300+ quid a year, pyrotechnics and life jackets etc, VHF and GPS (my costs based on 5 year replacement program) plus O2 admin kit. Trailer maintenance is about 50 quid a year and often overlooked for example.

I based the variable costs on fuel consumption at an assumed 0.85L per nm using ULP at 95p/L plus a £350 service every 100 hours, minor service every 25 hrs plus 10% mark-up for replacement parts and contingencies. (Example engine Yam 90hp)

My figures were using examples from the boats and outboards website for prices, plus the total cost of ownership figures from other users on ribnet.

If you include depreciation then I agree with the following:
glanrichbex said:
Light a bon fire in your back garden and start throwing £20 notes into it.... same effect...
Chris

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I'd get a fair bit of experience in boat handling before you start taking divers out, the responsibility is huge. In the end i got rid and bought an orkney 590 more for fishing taking her out for a run and nearly useless for diving. I prefer to dive with my local shop as its safer, less responsibility and possibly cheaper.
My mate that i used to dive with then bought a rib - 8mtr with twin 140s, goes like stink, but i wont go diving in it with him as he is a liability who is yet to discover half throttle or do a boathandling course. Everythime it moves its at 50mph and the petrol tanks get sucked dry very quickly.
If you havnt done the rya 1+2 then id reccommend it, look around and you should be able to find a providor that teaches it in ribs which will give you a feel for what you are looking at.
good luck
Liam

·
It will never work!!
126 Posts
Trailer maintenance alone

2 X wheel bearings = £40 aprox 2 years
1 X winch strap / winch £ 40 aprox 2 / 3 years
2 x road wheels ( they rot ) + Tyres £ 50 aprox 3 / 3 years
Jockey wheel assy £ 28 aprox 2 years
Rubbers aprox £ 50 spent 2 / 3 years

A bit more than £50 per year

If you use your boat twice a week the wear and tear is going to be increased but they also suffer wear and tear with age and sun light.

Have you thought about a spare engine? dead money but essential.

Flares, O2 kit, tools , VHF, Sounder , GPS .... the list is endless

I do run my own RHIB within the club and I can confirm what many have told me - there's no such thing as cheap boating.

·
10,679 Posts
Club RIBs are probably a bit expensive as no-one takes responsibility and does all the work. So like wheel bearings, for example, you can make a set last 20 years. Just strip the bearing out clean it and re-grease it every so often.
Actually no, I think there is only me sad enough to do that :D

glanrichbex is right.. ;)

(not entirely a wheel and tyre is about 80 quid so that should have read 160 quid, not 50 every whatever....)

Chris

·
It will never work!!
126 Posts
no-one takes responsibility

You can say that again!!

Question: When is it time to replace the wheel bearings.

Answer: When the wheel is at a 45 degree angle and the noise is so loud the noise can no longer be masked by the car stereo.

Why are people so neglectfull of club boats?? without them they are stuffed!! I just don't understand

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
no-one takes responsibility

You can say that again!!

Question: When is it time to replace the wheel bearings.

Answer: When the wheel is at a 45 degree angle and the noise is so loud the noise can no longer be masked by the car stereo.

Why are people so neglectfull of club boats?? without them they are stuffed!! I just don't understand
We changed the hubs for spring loaded auto-greasers 5 years ago and since then (touch wood) we've never had to change a bearing. Just pump the buggers full at the beginning of each trip and they're fine.

We also use Sapphire Aqua grease in them as it's designed to run wet.

Before this change we knew the location of every Indespension dealer between here and the Sound of Mull.

·
10,679 Posts
Wozbearings. Its the only way to go :D

Chris

·
Registered
12,795 Posts

Chris
Don't do it!

Use the money for HB trips - you'll be towing the boat to the same kind of places anyway! Will you have many alternatives in case of bad weather?

Avoid the hastles.

Adrian

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Having been involved with 3 dive clubs running ribs, I can confidently say that for most people, the expense and hassle are not worth it.

To make it worth it really means doing much (if not all) of the maintenance yourself and not having any realistic commercial alternative.

Think carefully - boats are a money pit in most instances.

Juz

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Hi.

Had my own boats for over 30 years cant think of life without one.

You are either a boat person, or a car, booze,wild woman person.

Did I make the right lifestyle choice???????.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.