YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

On Friday I am picking up my gear from the shop. I had to order a custom dry suit as none would fit that the dive school used - hence my OW dives were delayed until next weekend.

Anyway here's what I have got heading my way...

RoHo Soft Cordura Dry Suit Package with Thermocline Undersuit
AquaLung Seaquest Pro QD XXL
Scuba Pro MK17 / R395 (Din)
Scuba Pro R295 Octopus
AquaLung Mini Triple Console

All for £1212

Now, the thing is - is it better getting a dive computer instead of the regs/octopus? I can always rent regs...
Or would you say stick with the above and buy the dive watch after I do my AOW in June?

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Practically it is better to have your own regs first rather than rely on rented gear. It will give you time to get used to them, sort out where things clip and feel more comfortable. Although at the same time it is quite nice to have all your dives logged on your first computer.

·
MIFLEX DIR = "Did It Rupture"??
3,737 Posts
While you are learning nothing can be better than getting a good idea of decompression theory via tables, so I would recommend leaving the computer for a while. When you finally do get one you will know what is "behind" it's calculations rather than simply starting off blindly following it....

Regs would be at the top of my list of kit before all else and you have a good set there. I also used to have a Pro-QD and found them to be excellent, so in all I think you have made some good choices.

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
WW, I'm not a great fan of the MK17, it's a good reg but not great in cold water and has a tendency to freeflow in my experience. If you really want Scubapro then the MK25 is probably a better bet for UK winter/quarry diving. The vast majority of YDers use Apeks regs most common of those being the DS4 1st stage for good reasons, they are good value, work well at any depth and are cold water rated and cane be serviced just about anywhere.
Tables and a good bottom timer will do you just as well as a computer as long as you plan the dive properly. Good regs that you know and trust would be higher up my list.

My2p but be warned I'm just a diver not an expert in regs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys - RoHo recommended the regs for cold water diving, which is why I went for it. The BCD is because I am a biiiig guy, so not much choice :)
I know a lot of people advice getting a dive computer as an essential purchase, which is why I wasnt sure if I should go for the DC or the regs at this stage...

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
In order to dive to tables, you will need a timer of some sort.

If you don't have a watch that can go down to 30m, you can get timers for about £100. If you fancy spending a bit more than that you might as well get a computer like a Suunto Gecko.

HTH

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi, I've recently been in your situation.
I have bought the main items in this order...

Dry suit.
DSMB and reel (it was cheap on ebay..only reason bought first)
Mask/Fins/BCD/ Regs/ Tanks/ Lead shot/ Weight harness etc.. (pretty much everything else)

still to buy-
torch
dive computer (borrowing one at the moment)

reaason I 've delayed in buying a dive computer... initial outlay.. for everything else.. so I want a decent computer..
that can switch gasses.. thinking I may want to be able to do this in 12 months time..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's £1212 for the following:

RoHo Soft Cordura Dry Suit Package with Thermocline Undersuit
AquaLung Seaquest Pro QD XXL
Scuba Pro MK17 / R395 (Din)
Scuba Pro R295 Octopus
AquaLung Mini Triple Console

·
Registered
259 Posts
I wouldn't buy a console, but just get a pressure gauge. This was perhaps the best single piece of advice I was given. Have the other instruments on wrist (eg compass Suunto SK7 -which you probably wont use much frankly) and a wrist mounted computer or timer. I bought a timer first, but a computer might have been a wiser first buy as it's not that much more expensive than a timer. Something like a Suunto Viper DS or Vytec will take you quite a long way or something cheaper would suffice for a while, perhaps a long while, and be closer in price to a gauge.

Don't know about jacket style BCDs as I've got a wing and backplate, but you could just buy a cheap BCD off fleabay for £50 to £70, then upgrade once you know what features matter to you, or if you then want a wing. You won't then lose money.

Hywel
Regs - scubapro are well-respected, but I don't personally know which models are which or whether those are "cold water" models. Apeks are also well respected and the riduculously cheap ATX40 + DS4 is used by many very serious technical divers, and also by me (not including myself in the former category).

·
Out of his depth
386 Posts
Apeks are also well respected and the riduculously cheap ATX40 + DS4 is used by many very serious technical divers, and also by me (not including myself in the former category).
+1 for Apeks regs - bought mine in 2004 and still going strong - ATX 50/40/SPG and DST originally, now using DS4s on the twinset (but the DST is in the bits box ready to go again!) No problems in any of my UK dives, and some of them have been chuffing cold! I think you can still get a DS4 and ATX40 for £120 if you ring around (I think someone said SDS were doing them at this price recently?)

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Look at it this way, you can dive without a comp, you can't dive without regs...

For my money, Apeks DS4 ATX40 as Pete said, it is worth remembering the best advice does not come from the man set to make a profit from you....

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
very true unless that person is is at venture sports.

i concur with teh apexs regs. they are doing me to 7 ish degrees with no issues and i wont be diving in less than that for the foreseable future and IF i do then i have my sherwoods for that,. and frankly how much ice diving are you doing?

BCD and despite me wanting to die for saying it just get a buddy commando. even i wouldnht be able to break them.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.