YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi All,

I`m looking for a bit of help installing my Suunto PC interface. I know there is a fair bit of computer knowledge around here and hope you don`t mind me picking on it for a diving related subject!! I am not a complete computer numpty - I can use the thing for everything I need it for, but I`m not exactly at full "teckie" standards and a lot of the stuff below has gone right over my head!! My computer is relatively new (2000) and has Windows 98. It is about 400MHz, with 125MB RAM.

O.K, I`ve got the interface, and connected it to my COM port (the one it fits in!), the problem is, the computer can`t "see" it. Reading the manual it firstly talks about the COM port possibly being disabled - I have checked in the plug and play BIOS and it seems to be enabled and working properly, with no conflicts.

The next section of the trouble shooting guide asks about IRQ settings. If I look at the device manager, I only have 1 COM port displayed, configured to IRQ4 (this is what the manual suggests it should be), I do not however seem to have any more - the manual says about the mouse and internal modem, both of which I have - not sure where they are connected to - they are just plugged in and work!!

Does anyone have any ideas (such as dancing round the computer 3 times and beating it with a birch twig), or has anyone experienced the same problem and managed to solve it.

Cheers

Paul

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

Com ports can be annoying!  Suunto's dive manage has a tool for setting the com port.  Try Com 2, then try 'em all one by one.  

Still no joy?  Find your way to Device Manager and check under Ports (COM & LPT) that you have some Communication Ports present - and note which ones.  If none present, go into your BIOS and check they're all enabled and not conflicting and if that is OK, try adding a new com port in Device Manager.  Oh, and make sure you plug the cable into the dive computer the right way round!!!

HTH

·
Fair weather diver
131 Posts
Imported post

also make sure no one else on your computer is stealing it.  Mobile phone software and palm computer software will happily take over the com port.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts