YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could any of you IT guys tell me what to look for in a new laptop I mainly use it as a desktop replacement it does go to work now and again so size not much of an issue. I want it fast as a fast thing plenty of disk space both ram and hard drive ( i do have external too). I'd love a macbook pro but i use some programs for equipment thats windows only and apparently don't run properly on a windows mac ( using rs 232 and rs485 conversions etc) so what the best buy? I've been using a hp pavilion for a few years now and it's been great apart from the power plug pin inside snapped (love the magpower idea on macs) and it's running slow as f*ck now despite cleaning it up etc. So i'd by another hp and i've also looked at sony toshiba and dell any recommends and where to buy from much appreciated

·
Registered
947 Posts
Rock

Rock Direct

I have an Extreme CTX Pro and it's awsome. The entry level one with 2gig of RAM and a GeForce 7950 GTX (512mb) & HD WUXGA screen. A great desktop replacement.

Cheers,

Mark.

·
Sponsored by The Betty Ford Clinic and Prozac
4,501 Posts
MacBook Pro - You can run Windows *natively* on the new Intel based Macs by using Bootcamp (free to download from Apple), so therefore *no* compatibility issues.

Take the recent Microsoft executives advice and buy a Mac...

***Just found the mail***

Jim Allchin's Mac message: The full text

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Office sometimes but it goes on site etc this hp one has been fine doing it for 4 years apart from the dodgy power connection. Generally when it goes on site the site is complete just before handover etc, although i have hopefully just won a contract on the rigs and have no clue whatsoever what it's like on them until i do the course next month.

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MacBook Pro - You can run Windows *natively* on the new Intel based Macs by using Bootcamp (free to download from Apple), so therefore *no* compatibility issues.

Take the recent Microsoft executives advice and buy a Mac...
Maybe a bit dumb here:embarassed: does that mean it's a mac on the outside but runs just like a normal windows laptop? Now that would throw a spanner in my thinking:teeth: they are bloody expensive though. Are they easy to set up running windows would i have to buy all the software ie XP outlook and office ect separate or does it come with that if you buy a windows one

·
Registered
550 Posts
will try and get spec on windows laptop ( will parallels not work for you on the mac) by midday if not it's traped in the van till tusday, thay say you can stand on it and it's made with site in mind.

·
4,501 Posts
Maybe a bit dumb here:embarassed: does that mean it's a mac on the outside but runs just like a normal windows laptop? Now that would throw a spanner in my thinking:teeth: they are bloody expensive though. Are they easy to set up running windows would i have to buy all the software ie XP outlook and office ect separate or does it come with that if you buy a windows one
You buy a Mac, it comes with MAC OSx (10.4 at the mo, with 10.5 around the corner). You can then download and install Bootcamp which allows you install windows on the same machine and then choose which one to boot when you power it up.

I bought one a couple of months ago and it was very easy to transition to. I use NeoOffice a free Office XP compatible office suite; I have no reason to ever use a Windows machine again and I don't miss Windows at all. I have not bothered with Bootcamp because I have found I don't need Windows despite most of the people I exchange data with using Windows machines.

·
4,501 Posts
will try and get spec on windows laptop ( will parallels not work for you on the mac) by midday if not it's traped in the van till tusday, thay say you can stand on it and it's made with site in mind.
Parallels is an emulator and some stuff won't run correctly or at all. If you need windows then better off with Bootcamp, if you don't need windows then don't run windows.

·
Registered
550 Posts
boot camp you partion the disk and boot OSX or windows xp. parallels you can run them side buy side i think. Gordon harwood computers 08707740472 thay deal with Apple and can give a proper answer, unlike me.

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So i would need to buy XP etc separate? I may see if i can borrow a mates macbook for a bit not used one but all these people raving about them can't be wrong how do you get on with the no right mouse button thing? from what i can see it's just one big button. they do look bloody good though.

·
Registered
550 Posts
i like mine a lot don't miss the right click at all. i did find from switching that i'd look for things that were not there.

·
4,501 Posts
So i would need to buy XP etc separate? I may see if i can borrow a mates macbook for a bit not used one but all these people raving about them can't be wrong how do you get on with the no right mouse button thing? from what i can see it's just one big button. they do look bloody good though.
Yeah you need to get hold of a copy of XP if you want to use Bootcamp for dual boot or just make it a Windows laptop (which would be crime and an expensive way of getting a Windows laptop).

Think really hard whether or not you really need to use Windows - if you really have to use MS Office then you can get that for the Mac but I prefer NeoOffice which is free anyway.

You really don't need to right click - it takes seconds to get used to ctrl click, cmd click, opt click depending on the application and the context. It really is straight forward and intuitive.

Borrow one and see if you like it.

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
I bought a Macbook Pro (3Gb Ram) and a 30 inch Cinema HD monitor and have never looked back!

·
Apprentice houseplant
988 Posts
The newer macbooks (I'm sitting typing this on a black macbook) have the feature that normal trackpads do - one tap on the pad = 1 left click, but more cleverly, tapping with two fingers at once = right click!

Genius!

·
Is fully Mod 1'd up
878 Posts
Macs are the way forward. I switched 2 years ago and bought a dual core power mac. I then convinced my uncle that I absolutely needed a macbook to take to uni!!

The mighty mouse looks like one big button but it is touch sensetive and accepts right clicks.... but ctrl click is just as good

Get a mac!

Adam

1 - 20 of 35 Posts