YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

I only know of Bob Cooper on here that uses a scooter, but these are open questions to all.

* If I was looking to purchase a decent Scooter/DPV, what make/brand should I:

A) Be looking out for as solid, reliable and low maintenance?
B) Avoid like the plague?

* What price should I expect to be paying (how long's a piece of string?) for a decent one, both new and 2nd-hand?

* What questions have I not yet asked that I should be asking?? E.g. is there a course you do or is it a case of climb-aboard and rock-n-roll? (Should have kept me mouth shut - PADI will be manufacturing a new 'Speciality' after reading this!)

* Assuming we can agree on a price/make etc. Where in the UK can I get one from?

Thanks in advance.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Looking at Pina's website Bren - obviously you MUST purchase a Gavin from the man himself. Oh and I think Padi do a DPV course if I'm not mistaken. The Gavin's are available and prices are quoted - probably ex-works USA though. Or how about that Russian thing Hobby found.
Matt

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Imported post

Aren't sccoters those weird moped / motorbike look alike which you sit in and drive it around underwater? I remember seeing something like this on some dive mag (must be american).  The tank sits on the back and there is a large plastic bubble for your head. Surely you don't want one of those!
Padi does have a DPV course. I remember a club offering this course but only had one old DPV which looked like a converted lectric fan.
If in doubt get off Gavin! :lol:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

Bren,
Tell me when you are going to be at Capers next and I will get Adam to show you his............. scooter that is.

And yes PADI do a course........... special price for  'FOUR TANKS TIERNEY'

(Edited by Phil Ennis at 7:58 pm on Feb. 17, 2003)

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Imported post

Cheers Phil,

We'll be there next Saturday, so I'll gladly take you up on that. Do you think Adam will let me have a play? Tell him I'll buy him a new one if I bend it - Scooter that is ;)

Cheers,
4TanxTierney.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Imported post

Bren

I've become a bit of a scooter nerd lately ;)

After looking carefully at what's available, there is only one choice as far as I'm concerned ;)  There is the Farralon, Mako, Tekna, Aquazepp and I think Scubapro do one too.  There is the Silent Submersion, which is now being imported by Kevin Gurr (Delta P Technology).  Do a web search for more information on these.  As I said you only have one choice really, the Gavin.

The cost of a "wreck" Gavin (short body 18AH HDPE) is &#363400 without batteries.  A decent charger and a pair of batteries is about £200 here in UK.  Shipping to UK for me was &#36350.  There is duty and VAT payable on the total too (ask me about that when I see you).  Sorry about the mix up of &#36 and £ but I'm doing this from memory.  They do come up for sale 2nd hand in UK occasionally.  I know of two sold last year for about £1500.

Phil Short at Phoenix Engineering does an IANTD DPV course.  You might be able to take a course from him and use one of the SS scooters (which are similar to the Gavin).  There are probably others in UK who will do the course.  In my opinion, you don't really need to do a scooter course for open water diving.  Scootering in a cave is a different matter!

Apart from Delta P/Phoenix, I don't think you can buy a "proper" scooter here in UK.

For info, the Gavin is depth rated to 400ft, has a 1 hour burn time, is maintenance free and virtually unbreakable.  Oh, and it is a LOT of fun...and FAST.  There is very little to go wrong, but if you do break something, George will fix it, usually at no cost.  www.gavinscooters.com has all the information you need, including a users manual and some very good photographs showing how it all fits together.

If you have any more questions, drop George an e-mail, he really is a pussy cat, and helped me a great deal with all my nerdy questions last year.  Alternatively, if I can help, just drop me a line.

If you are serious, lets get together at Capernwray some time and you can have a go on mine.  I promise you'll be hooked!!

Good luck

Bob

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Puffin divers in Oban has some for sale. I can't remember what kind they were but they were in the region of £1000 I think. Give them a bell and ask.

Peter

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

You folks are right - your choices are =
> Scubapro
> Maco
> Tekna
> Zep
> Falon
> Gavin

You forgot that Custom Divers Makes one too. It ""looks"" similar to the Farlon. Farlons have been around quite a bit and they seem to be good. Gavins have been used by a number of cave divers because they are small and ""better"" than others of similar size.

There is also the Torpedo and the Seadoo as well. I have been wanting to build one for a long time. I know I could do it with electric trawling motors but I don't have the time.

I suggest before you commit to any thing get some thing that can pull you around without too much effort and that can run for at least a solid hour. In reality that is not easy.

Let me know what you find out because I am interested too.

Good luck

Lawrence  

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Imported post

Hey Bob,

Looks like we're gonna be at the Cape on Saturday - you gonna be around? If not, let's hook-up a date to RV and and go scooterin'! And thanks again for the offer, much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Imported post

Bren

I've got to go to that new place in Chepstow at the w/end (National Diving Centre?).  One of the DIR Britain guys had talked me into doing a gas dive there to check it out brrrrr!  Should be interesting though.

Let me know when you're next at the Cape and I'll try to make it up there.

Bob

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Imported post

Cheers Bob,

I got two invites from Neil for this Wednesday's Grand Opening of the NDC but can't make it so have given them to Andy Hayhurst. Hope you enjoy it and please let us have a trip report on what you found, good and bad, about the diving & facilities so that the troops can make an informed decision on when to go.

Oh, and if you're there at the weekend, you should bump into Daz of these very boards.

Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Imported post

Can't hurt to look Justin.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

Hello all, some questions, anyone here tried the new Custom Divers DPV? Are Gavins and Silent Submersion same, if not what are the main differences ? Also AUL or DPV repair were producing a Gavin like with a lower price but could not find the pics.

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

Go on buy one bren, u know it makes sense!

Or get the schematics for one and we can have a go at making one. moped motor, bit of tubing, fuck off o ring, araldite and a bit of gaffa.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Imported post

Ben mate,

And I have every confidence that you could knock one up as well !! ;)

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Imported post

Pierre

All I know about the Silent Submersion is that it "looks" a bit like a Gavin but it has a motorcycle type "twist grip" trigger mechanism instead of the Gavin style "finger trigger".  The SS is also more expensive.  A guy called Rodney Nearn makes them.  There is quite a good web-site.

I didn't know CD made a scooter.  But if CD gear is anything to go by, it's probably cr*p <duck>

Bob

·
That's Members Representative to you!
2,416 Posts
Imported post

From Dive Mag:

Scubapro Sea-Glider scooter with charger, excellent condition, Phone Jeff on 01387-375594 (Cumbria).

Sorry for the delay Bren, my Mum was burgled on Wednesday so been up at hers trying to make house more secure... Get to spend tomorrow up ladders fitting alarm :<

1 - 20 of 37 Posts