YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a UK D8R torch which stopped working at the weekend. By process of elimination (i.e. the battery was charged and the bulbs had not blown) I put it down to being an issue with the piece that holds the bulbs and rests on the battery......you may have guessed I am not too technical.

Anyway, I decided to unscrew this bit and 8 tiny little bits of lead (I assume they are lead) dropped out, when I re-assembled it (minus the loose lead) the torch started working!

Does anyone know, before I go in the water with it, whether these bits of lead have a purpose?

I look forward to your replies!
 

·
Mad as a Haddock
Joined
·
2,206 Posts
It's not lead, they are there to absorb the gases given out when the battery is discharging, from memory they look like Zippo flints. You should put them back, I don't think they would stop the tourch working, probably just a bad connection.

ttfn
MM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,795 Posts
Jo,

Did you unscrew and then fix the battery contact springs as part of this process? If so, it was probably tightening up of the spring screws that fixed the problem. A common fault. Mine does the same from time to time.

Adrian
 

·
Just not enough dive time.
Joined
·
9,135 Posts
What he said, I think also they are suppoosed to absorb any gas given off if the torch leaks water slightly as the gases become explosive.

The contacts bit (and I am being technical) is hopeless, it relies on friction etc to maintain contact betweeen the torch terminals and teh bulb contacts in the bulb holder part. The little silvery things arent soldered to the battery at all, its very easy for that black part to move slightly off and ruin the contact path. Do you have a big spring attached to teh back of your battery pack.

Incidentally if you manage to flood the battery pack (with fresh water) its possible to dry the batteries out and then re-make the contacts between the individual batteries with a soldering iron and some wire, the original "tangs" often break if flooded and left switched on. Beware also of leaving the torch on out of water, it will fry itself.

Other than that its a good torch. Pretty robust given the treatment mine has received. :)

Matt
 

·
Thats MISTER Blue Boots to you....
Joined
·
9,371 Posts
Yes, I think it was the tightening that did the trick. Mine has done the same once or twice.
I like mine, its been knocked off bricks, boat seats and things several times, and appears to bounce well :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,434 Posts
Mine has done it too but its an easy torch to fix.

And yes the pellets are meant to absorb gas. Quite how effective they are after 4 years in the thing though i dont know :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,449 Posts
No - its useless

On one occasions I did a surface swim out to a shotline and prepared to go down the line. Turned on the torch - absolutely nothing

Why wasn't it designed to warn you that you'd taken out the battery, stored it "back to front" (to stop it being turned on accidentally) and hadn't correctly inserted the battery and tightened it up before diving???

Bloody useless :embarassed:
 

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
Joined
·
23,946 Posts
Jo,

Did you unscrew and then fix the battery contact springs as part of this process? If so, it was probably tightening up of the spring screws that fixed the problem. A common fault. Mine does the same from time to time.

Adrian
And mine!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Charging the thing

ok....I just got a d8r, so the flint like gas absorbtion things rattle around loose yes? which is why the bulb holder thing rattles.

and how do you know when the battery is charged, there isnt a little giveaway light on the charger and only once out of the 4 times ive charged it has the battery pack become warm during charging(as stated in the manual...well leaflet)

The first couple of times I thought I may have a faulty charger, but now just assume that after 12 hours charging it is ready.
 

·
diving member
Joined
·
1,996 Posts
What he said, I think also they are suppoosed to absorb any gas given off if the torch leaks water slightly as the gases become explosive.

The contacts bit (and I am being technical) is hopeless, it relies on friction etc to maintain contact betweeen the torch terminals and teh bulb contacts in the bulb holder part. The little silvery things arent soldered to the battery at all, its very easy for that black part to move slightly off and ruin the contact path. Do you have a big spring attached to teh back of your battery pack.

Incidentally if you manage to flood the battery pack (with fresh water) its possible to dry the batteries out and then re-make the contacts between the individual batteries with a soldering iron and some wire, the original "tangs" often break if flooded and left switched on. Beware also of leaving the torch on out of water, it will fry itself.

Other than that its a good torch. Pretty robust given the treatment mine has received. :)

Matt
but if you are going to resolder it, measure the height of the battery before you start and make sure its the same when you finish - I recently did mine and 2mm higher will stop the switch from working!

Steven
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,434 Posts
I had one and like it but a few faults or at least my view of what isnt great:

(i) its big and bulky. A bit hard to stow as a result
(ii) Switch can be knocked on by accident in a dive bag so you need to transport it with battery upside down.
(iii) Handle design isnt great - ive seen a few slide out if the hard-to-reach screw inside the handle isnt biting on the case
(iv) most annoying is it has a tendency to seal itself shut and can be a right **** to open afterwards.

Dont take the above as a bad writeup for it though - i like it but its not perfect.

Battery charging has no light, generally i leave mine for 12-16hrs and not had an issue with it yet. It gets warm and both battery and bulb life is good.

Mine has had a complete battering and generally mistreated a lot but still works for me.
 

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
Joined
·
23,946 Posts
I had one and like it but a few faults or at least my view of what isnt great:

(i) its big and bulky. A bit hard to stow as a result
(ii) Switch can be knocked on by accident in a dive bag so you need to transport it with battery upside down.
(iii) Handle design isnt great - ive seen a few slide out if the hard-to-reach screw inside the handle isnt biting on the case
(iv) most annoying is it has a tendency to seal itself shut and can be a right **** to open afterwards.

Dont take the above as a bad writeup for it though - i like it but its not perfect.

Battery charging has no light, generally i leave mine for 12-16hrs and not had an issue with it yet. It gets warm and both battery and bulb life is good.

Mine has had a complete battering and generally mistreated a lot but still works for me.
Mine is always attached on the outside of my kit.

I've never had the switch be knocked on in my kit bag ......... big trouble it it did as it would trash the reflector.

I bought a lantern(?) style handle and it has never come close to coming loose - I did make the screw ight into the plastic. I was worried at the time.

It can be a bit tight to undo but I'd rather that than ............

I quite agree - my UKD8 has suffered a dog's abuse and still works fine. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,434 Posts
I've never had the switch be knocked on in my kit bag ......... big trouble it it did as it would trash the reflector.
Mine has...and half melted the reflector. Buddy also tried to turn his on for a dive to find it'd knocked on and battery dead last week. Problem stems from something falling into the switch hitting it down then it doesnt take much to hit it across to turn it on. I know of one person who "solved" it by glueing a bottle top with the middle cut out around the switch.

I bought a lantern(?) style handle and it has never come close to coming loose - I did make the screw ight into the plastic. I was worried at the time.
Mine has come off but was retrieved, a club member lost his completely a while back. It can be weakened by using the handle as a lever to try to unscrew the thing which doesn't help. Mine is cracking due to that. Spent 3 months this summer in a store room as nobody in the shop could actually open it.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top