YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

OK

Doing my dry suit speciality this weekend. Finally get a chance to wear the dry suit I have got myself. However, i am loathe to trim the neck seal so I have stretched the seal around a cylinder which has eased it up nicely.

However, trying the suit on in the house (yeah, yeah, I know) resulted in my neck looking like I had had my throat cut, and a serious neck rash developed.

So, are there any trade secrets in preventing rash with latex seals in the neck, and is there anything besides the obvious that I should take with me at the weekend...

Regards

Gareth

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Hi,

Good old KY jelly, seems to help a treat in oh so many ways.

Over a weekends diving it can get very sore and is one of the reasons I have switched to a smooth skin neck seal. A friend of mine overcame his embarassment and sent his partner off to get some KY, being the kind sole she is, she duly came back with it, problem went away.

Andrew

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Sussex,

Go Neoprene, suit and seals, Sooooooooooo much more comfortable. ND CMX2000 top suit.

Dive Safe and enjoy the course,

Ahhh we do them for free.

Dive safe

Paul

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

I had this problem recently and got loads of advice from others (look it up on the older threads). What worked for me was washing the salt off the neck seal AND cleaning my neck between dives (baby lotion wipes good for this) and using sudacrem as a barrier cream, my neck is now as soft as a baby's bottom!
jules:)

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Are you sure that perfumed baby wipes aren't going to damage your seal?

I just dry it, dry my neck and talc the seal carefully.  This has vastly reduced the rash I used to get.  Didn't get on with KY, personally!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Imported post

I use vaseline on my neck before I use my suit and that will last me for a whole day of wearing it, without i will get a rash off just an hour in it.
Saying that though my neck seal is a bit the worse for wear right now, it doesn't leak but it has perished a bit, I will be getting a neoprene one soon.

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lou @ Oct. 03 2003,09:14)]Are you sure that perfumed baby wipes aren't going to damage your seal?

I just dry it, dry my neck and talc the seal carefully.  This has vastly reduced the rash I used to get.  Didn't get on with KY, personally!
I am still experimenting lou. maybe I should just use a bit of water to clean it then?
I never had a problem before but then when I went on the Sound of Mull trip (3 days) it was really bad. So I dont know if I have just developed a sensitivity to latex which I know is possible or whether it's just that i ma doing 40 minute dives rather than 20 minute ones like you do when you start. I have another couple of three day trips coming up so i will be trying various combinations of cleaning the neck seal, putting sudacrem on my neck etc and seeing what works or doesnt.
jules

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (DanG @ Oct. 04 2003,07:05)]I use vaseline on my neck before I use my suit
Dan, Vaseline and latex don't go together, unfortunately. Your neck seal will rot much faster. Much better to use KY jelly, or the equivalent if you can't get KY jelly in Canada. In case you don't know what it is, KY jelly is that lubricating stuff you apply to certain intimate places in connection with certain activities we all do but often are embarassed to talk about  

·
Registered
313 Posts
Imported post

I've heard a lot of people have reservations about using talc on latex seals. Aparrently it can dry them out turning them a bit brittle.
I've no experince of this personally, I dont use owt on me seals.
KY does seem the popular choice if you need to use somthing though, as John says, Vaseline is a bad idea on latex seals aswell as other, ehem, latex fluid barriers!

Stu.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Imported post

Ah well that would explain a lot then, to be honest though I have been waiting for it to get tatty enough for me to justyify buying a neoprene one!
A lot of people use conditioner, any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Imported post

KY is the magic bullet,
I tried a new dry suit with a latex neck for 3 dives and then spent the next week with a massive welt across my throat, i'm sure people must have mistaken me for a tory MP.

Cheers

Graham

1 - 11 of 11 Posts