YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Afternoon all.

Decided to drop by and see what YD is like after seeing numerous mentions of it on Divernet.
Am I right in thinking YD is open to non-Yorkshire divers, and you cover non-Y topics here?

I'm London based (though from Ooop North originally), doing PADI DM course at the moment, nearing my 100th dive. Only recently started UK diving, with a trip up to Farne, after a few dips in Wraysbury to get the hang of dry suits and sh1te vis :)
Dived Brighton at the weekend, and learnt what "sh1te vis" *really* means

See you all on the boards, and maybe even in the gloop....
Dave.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Dave,

You are indeed welcome to YD. Please feel free to fill your boots and get in amongst it with your advice, responses and postings general.

To answer your questions: one of the reasons why it is now largely referred to as simply 'YD' and not its former rigid banner of 'Yorkshire Divers' is that its ownership and membership used to contain 95% Yorkies (its ownership still is based in 'God's Country'); this very quickly changed - which was always the owners' Jay (Heads Up) and Andy's (Andy2Tanx) intention - to encompass a larger UK and latterly worldwide membership.

We are a non-denominational 'church' - we welcome all agencies/clubs, all diving styles/ethoses, all levels of diving experience (newbie-novice to the Uber Techies and the Rebreather wallahs) as long they are safe divers willing to banter and learn or offer advice.

It has also now largely met one of its initial aims of being the probably the largest independent (i.e. non-alligned to training agency or publication) diving forum in the UK, with the all consuming membership requirements of:

1. Keep it civil, friendly and banter-laden.

2. Keep it informative, funny, relevant, historical, interesting, (light & merciless piss-taking allowed, as long as it's not meant or sent with an ill will), no rucks allowed.

You know the script: the usual stuff that adults enjoy - no real rocket science to it. The only daft question is the one you didn't ask.

We cover as many Diving topics as you want to talk about - and quite a few that have nothing whatsoever to do with it

Welcome aboard again and yep, hope to see you on a dive - we've got plenty of 'diamond geezers' from 'darn sarf' (Matt & crew??), so if you're after new buddies and a regular dive calendar too, we should be able to hook you up no sweat.

Cheers,

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

Welcome - all piss taking is indeed merciless, especially when we start on the resident tart.  He'll be around later to say hello probably.  One member has threatened to dissect me already (on another forum may I point out), but it's a good laugh.  All sorts are allowed - frogs and tarts included!!!  Dive safely.  

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi dave

I'm a SSDD ( Southern Shandy Drinking Diver ) but at least i don't sit in pubs eating pie & mash wearing me flat cap feeding me wippet by my side.

I was made most welcome here, and it's got to be the best dive forum around  

Yes we all take the **** from time 2 time , but this is the place to get great advise and help, trust me .

what i like most is that so many women take part here and give out as good as they get  
as you will see from some of the threads ( CAROL ) especially.

As ya near to me , may join ya sometime for a dip , when me not so busy at work.

AND BY THE WAY FROG,,,,,, as many frogs live 22 miles from me i hate them ,,,,sod the disection, just ripping ya legs off is better,, more tastey  

Andy

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy the Commie @ May 08 2003,15:35)]AND BY THE WAY FROG,,,,,, as many frogs live 22 miles from me i hate them ,,,,sod the disection, just ripping ya legs off is better,, more tastey  
I've heard that if you get a straw...no,I think I'll leave it.

Welcome Dave,hope you get as much out of it as we have!
Take care,Hobby.
Whaddya mean flat caps,pie and mash and whippets,beats bloody jellied eels baseball caps and pink dyed poodles!

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

Hobby - you know where you can stick your straws.  I'll help you if you like.  Andy the Commie - do you have French frogs living near you, or the croaking kind?  I'm NOT French, and you leave my legs out of this equasion, thank you very much!  
I need them for booting cheeky commie divers.  Ribbet.  Boot.  Howwwwl.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hobby @ May 08 2003,16:41)]Whaddya mean flat caps,pie and mash and whippets,beats bloody jellied eels baseball caps and pink dyed poodles!
Can't understand how you northern divers find time to exercise your whippets between diving, playing with your kit and feeding your pigeons.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bren Tierney @ May 08 2003,15:04)](its ownership still is based in 'God's Country');
Really Bren. Since when did Yorkshire become part of Scotland. You know why it's called Gods country. Because Heaven is above Hell. Let me tell you a little joke;

God is sitting talking away to Jesus during the creation and he says, "Son, I've all these beautiful bit's here and I'm going to create the most lovely part of my world imaginable."
"Why", says JC, "What do you have?".
God replies "Well, I have purple heather laden hills, rugged mountains, misty blue lochs, crystal clear seas, vast expanses of rolling glens and the purest, clean air imaginable."
"And what shall you call this land?", the bearded carpenter asked.
"I shall call it Scotland!" god answered.
"But Dad, surely you're being too kind to this wonderous heaven on earth?"
With a sly grin God said, "No, just wait until you see the bastards I'm going to give them as neighbours"
(No offence to the Welsh or Irish intended)

Peter
PS-Suddenly Angelsey isn't looking like such a bright idea. I now have visions of Flash-bangs under my caravan at 4am.
PPS-Oh by the way, welcome to the boards Dave.

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Welcome Dave,
Good to see another one of us from down here on the board, even if you started off up there.

You'll learn to ignore Peter, if you saw Braveheart on TV yesterday he's like the ugly hairy mouthy one, no not the Aussie.

Whilst on the subject of Braveheart, when will a film about what truly happened going to be made.
i.e. Nice friendly King Edward trys to be neighbourly and goes to visit his barbaric neighbours to educate them  etc. etc.

Dave, who did you dive with at Brighton?
Was it with Steve on Nauticat?

Peter only joking about the ugly, hairy, mouthy bit above, I know you're not hairy.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi, Dave,
I'm another of the "YD - Southern Shandy Drinkers" and I also use that muddy puddle (otherwise known as Wraysbury) on the odd occasion (was down there last week).

I'm also about to do my RD (end of this month, beginning of next).. doin' it with DiveStyle in Reading. And you?

Anyway, welcome aboard.

abucksdiver

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Imported post

heh heh heh  

Scots and Northerners and little French amphibious creatures to rib, women who give as good as they get, and merciless p1sstaking - think I'm going to like this place!

Dude - yep, it was indeed Steve and Nautilus. You going to tell me you were one of the others on the boat on Monday??

abucks - doing my DM, and pretty much all my diving at the moment, with these people:
http://www.urbanfish.co.uk/home.asp
...a great bunch - roll on October and the Cuba trip... :)

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

No Dave l wasn't on the boat Monday, however l do most of my diving midweek and do a lot with Steve of Channel diving.

Although due to daughters recent wedding l haven't dived for the past few weeks.

Steve is one of two of the best skippers we have used and the boat Nauticat is great, even with twelve theres plenty of room, however a lot of the time midweek we go out with four to six divers- loads of room.

If you can make it mid-week let me know, no problem with buddies either me or threesome, (oo err missis)

As for vis, well ..... do not be disheartened, on Nauticat from Brighton and Eastbourne we have on average (on the dives that weren't cancelled due to bad weather) l'd say 5-6 mtrs and last year on some dives 10-12 mtrs.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

Dave...

I can only say that YD is GREAT...I've asked stupid questions and that's the great thing...you can...no judgement...everyone is learning...differnt number of dives but different type of dives, tek, cold. ohe, tdi...etc...good lot here and the best thing is YOU LEARN...

G

1 - 13 of 13 Posts