YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Heavily medicated, for your safety.
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know why Conga's come out hunting in daylight?

On the YD Ireland gig at the weekend. I was attacked twice by hunting conger eels. Now the first time I had picked up a fishermans filleting knife, so I guess the shiny blade attracted the eel. Dropping the knife meant the eel went for that & left me alone.

The second time (about 20 mins later) we were watching a free swimming hunting conger when I got snagged up in mono-filament. I was trying to free myself when Midnight shouted a warning; the damn eel was coming straight for me and it took a couple of swipes with my torch to turn it away.

Both eels were in the medium size range, (about 4-5 feet long). The dive was to 38M in good light and they were actively hunting in the daylight. I always thought they were nocturnal hunters. I know they have bad eyesight & I've always found them placid enough, but these were definitely showing aggressive behaviour.

Any ideas before I have to ask the Dude to lend me his Conga Prodder? (TM)

·
Registered
3,335 Posts

On the YD Ireland gig at the weekend. I was attacked twice by hunting conger eels. Now the first time I had picked up a fishermans filleting knife, so I guess the shiny blade attracted the eel. Dropping the knife meant the eel went for that & left me alone.

The second time (about 20 mins later) we were watching a free swimming hunting conger when I got snagged up in mono-filament. I was trying to free myself when Midnight shouted a warning; the damn eel was coming straight for me and it took a couple of swipes with my torch to turn it away.

Both eels were in the medium size range, (about 4-5 feet long). The dive was to 38M in good light and they were actively hunting in the daylight. I always thought they were nocturnal hunters. I know they have bad eyesight & I've always found them placid enough, but these were definitely showing aggressive behaviour.

May be it knew your batterys were running low.
You have more excesable food on you than Ado.
Or you were not singing ''The hills are a loud with the sound of music''

·
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not allowed green you, but it would have said:

"Tosser"

·
No longer open water diver
1,319 Posts

congers hunt by sense of smell cos their eyesight is so bad. there is your answer!! :D did you have a wee accident when you got trapped in the mono-fil? :D

·
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
congers hunt by sense of smell cos their eyesight is so bad. there is your answer!! :D did you have a wee accident when you got trapped in the mono-fil? :D
Not as big as yours when ya got hooked! :D

·
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts

Maybe the knife was flashing in the torch light and looked like a conger sized nibble?

Maybe you looked like an ailing and very large fish when you were snagged? You weren't flashing were you? :)

·
No longer open water diver
1,319 Posts
you must spread some reputation around before giving it to mick f and buchhawk again

touché! :D

·
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe the knife was flashing in the torch light and looked like a conger sized nibble?
I reckon that's what attracted the first one alright.
Maybe you looked like an ailing and very large fish when you were snagged? You weren't flashing were you? :)
Large yes. Flashing no.

:D

·
00.00 hrs
905 Posts
I was trying to free myself when Midnight shouted a warning;
More like I was in the middle of the third verse of "I am sixteen, going on seventeen" when I saw what was about to happen and started laughing my arse off!!!!

Midnight

·
Charter Boat Skipper, Salvage Diver & YBOD abuser
1,605 Posts
Many moons ago, before the Castillian was banned as a dive site, I was wrestling with swag in 12 m, vis was 15m at least, so really daylight down there. Anyway I noticed a strap conger swim past me and thought the "that's unusual-free swimming etc" thought. A few mins later another one and soon after another... I looked round and saw Elfyn about 10m away looking like Medusa with around a dozen of the buggers circling just above him- the cause of that one was obvious... he had a nose-bleed and kept snorting the blood out of his mask. Impressive site, made it an unforgettable dive :) Impressive too, the sense of smell on the critters.
Thinking about it, Conger encounters seem to be in a fair chunk of most memorable dives-
http://www.yorkshire-divers.com/forums/trip-reports/42681-surprise.html :teeth:

ATB,
Terry

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
What do you expect when we all know Howard'd been going up and down the country shoving drain rods (conga prodders) up the arses and down the throts of any conga he finds.

They were bound to start fighting back :D

On a side note i dived an unknown off the back of the isle of white earlier in the year and found a conga so massive it beggered beleife. Its head must have been 18" (4-500mm) across. It didnt even moove and it scared me.

I realy dont trust them. If one that big got pissed off I dont think you would stand much chance. I know dno diver has ever died from a conga attack but it dosent stop me thinking i might set a trend :D

ATB

Mark

·
Mod 2.5 apparently
703 Posts
No none at all not one idea

Vist pikey petes conger training website at....................... now mick i am not jeaous and you know it !!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.