YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Ok...
     So for all us numpty's who like to give our air tanks a bit of a hammering- Has anyone got any tips that might be of assistance in increasing our bottom time
Steve

And no twins comments from the twinset groups  

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Imported post

With me, my consumption dropped over the first year or so of diving. Then it stabilised at a high rate, and has stayed there for the last few years.
 I've come to the conclusion that getting fit (heart and lungs not necessarily losing weight) is  the only thing that will reduce it further

So easy to type. So hard to do...

Laters,
   JAnos

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

"Air consumption. How to maximise?" That's easy! It's minimising it that's hard.  

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Imported post

I heard or read somewhere that "humming" during the dive can help reduce your air consumption.  Presumably that's humming something nice and slow, rather than attempting one of Lawnmower Death's fine pieces of work.

I tried it for about 3 seconds, felt very embarassed and went back to emptying my cylinder as quick as you like...

dan.

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Sucking 2 polo's is a good one ,, have one either side of your mouth ..

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>don't try this one , as i killerly watch the man die.....

" Andy, i'm using to much air on every dive now , and i have done over 200, shouldn't it start coming down ? "

I say " i have fully opened your cylinder valve , then closed it to just under 1/2 open "

I din't know that the instructor watched this muppet do it and said " Andy , said is i half close it, it will reduce the amount of air i use "....... where the instructor says " well, he must be right , he is experienced and a commercial diver ".

I DO KEEP MY BIG MOUTH CLOSED FULLY NOW, in front of instructors and novices

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Its easy,

good buoyency control then relax and enjoy the dive.

Works for me.

Dive Safe

Paul

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Well i think I have good Bouyancy control,
As for relaxing into the dive, thats all well and good untill you see those first crayfish feelers
then the hunter mentality takes control, the heart starts pounding, the adreniline dumps into your system
And your away, hunting, searching seeking
and alas there goes the Tank

Steve

·
Team Starburst
5,275 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>Do lots of get fit stuff
Check your weight-being overweighted will add to air consumption
Use an air integrated dive computer-you can see how long long your air supply will last and you relax more
Carry plenty of insulation. Being cold uses more air
Do more diving
Stop chasing the critters, leave them to me

Your own weight is not important-I dived in Gozo with an 18 st instructor, 30 cigs a day, on a 47m dive at the Blue Hole, lasting an hour. He was using a 7 ltr cylinder.......

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>besides the abvious:
good fills before you enter water.
good regs correctly adjusted and set.
good weighting and buoyancy.
maintain an even breathing rate,the humming does work if you try it on a couple of dives.less depth = less air consumption.
have you worked out your consumption?
if you can take a video camera with you on a dive and then when you watch it back check out your breathing rate.
check on your breathing for correct lung volume you do not need them over filled,just because you can suck in more in one breath does not mean you have to totally fill the lungs.
do not shallow breath or skip breath this just increases air consumption.
stay aware of breathing rate for a few dives to regulate it.
cheers
barrie

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Stop worrying about it and enjoy the dive.

I dont ever think in terms of whats my SAC its just have I got enough gas to do the gig. I plan on a sac which works OK but I rareley ever calculate my exact SAC for the dive done. I either had enough gas or I didnt. Now I NEVER attempt to control my breathing during the dive with a view to saveing gas I just have a planned minimum gas  and a planned maximum bottom time. Which ever comes first dictates the point of ascent.

Since adopting this attitude I have enjoyed the dives more and my SAC has tumbled down all by its self.

Do NOT skip breath. The headachs hurt like hell and pills dont touch them you need 02.

Just an opinion

Mark Chase

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Well you could try breathing exercises such as you find in yoga or when learning wind instruments, it'd help to make your breathing more efficient; make sure you breathe from your diaphragm not your chest, in for a count of four, hold for four, breathe out to a count of four, hold for four, repeat ad lib

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

"Stand up, put one hand on the chest and one on the stomach. Now breathe in, focusing on the stomach hand doing most of the movement. Breathe in to a count of 5 and out to a count of 8 without holding your breath. This is an ideal breathing pattern. Extend this exercise to walking around and eventually diving..............I practice this technique when I've nothing better to do, such as when decompressing"

Kevin Gurr, Technical Diving From The Bottom Up, A Guide To Advanced Diving Techniques.

I tried this and it helped me. Basically being relaxed on the dive is the best thing but if you go in to a new environment that's not particularly nice then reverting back to this ALWAYS works for me. Never been too much of a guzzler anyway....

Hope this helps a bit.

Graham

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Oh

Also ask Alan Getafix how the hell he does it as my rate aint bad but when i dived with him and he was on a 12 to my 15 he still had more left than me  undefine

Not a bad dive eather Katerina Kolkmann i think, big wreck in about 32m. Only had about 10m vis if i remember correctly    undefined

As for the hunting, i'm a bit like that with a big blue lobster every now and then, but i tend to stalk as opposed to charging down.

Dive Safe

Paul  

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imported post

Lots of info to digest,
I exspecially like Grahams training your breathing into an established pattern
steve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts