YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just bought one of these for my neice - its is possibly the best toy in the world, ever!

Line Musical instrument accessory Font Electric blue Plastic

Now, my brother and I want to take this a step further and would like to replace the air balloon for a compressed air cylinder for propolsion. You can see where this is going, and where it will probably end up.

We need to cobble together some sort of fitting with an appropriate hose. Anyone got any ideas? where's Woz?

Stu

·
Dive tart, just can't say no :-)
9,453 Posts
good job it comes with a supply of spares, a couple of years ago I watched a couple of lads in the park with something similar, they spent ages setting their launcher up, packing the parachute to brin g the rocket down without breaking anything or hurting anyone, they gathered a hell of a crowd and finally launched the thing, up it went and up and up... parachute deployed perfectly and down it came ever so gently. only to land in the river 50 yards from where it took off.

Lads gathered up all the launch paraphernalia and left.

Very sad.

·
For some bizarre reason....
6,296 Posts
Ahhh youth, and youthful pursuits...

we just used a nail and a hammer to puncture CO2 cylinders.

Sparklet types were pretty good, but soda-stream ones went to infinity and beyond!

LOL, Paul

PS firing these is irresponsible 'cos they may seriously hurt someone, so don't try this at home!

PPS that "don't try this at home" was NOT a challange

PPPS No it really wasn't

PPPPS Forget I ever mentioned it, I cannot be held responsible for the actions nor inactions of others

PPPPPS No I am not implying that you are one of the others - this is not an us and them situation

PPPPPPS - the moral is "don't start, unless you have a very big ladder to get out of the hole"

·
Make mine a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster.
1,763 Posts
Arghhhh, we used to half fill an old washing up liquid bottle with water, jam an old bicycle tyre valve in the little squirty hole and start pumping. Eventually, either the valve would pop out the bottle or the squirty hole bit would blast out. Either way, it would easily clear a house and you were guaranteed to get soaked.

Saw a tv programme doing similar, using 2litre fizzy drinks bottles and a 'hozelock' type coupling that held it all together till you pulled the release back and off it went.

Must say, I like the idea of launching a 'Polaris' from 10m down in Stoney :D

·
Stability - in an ever spinning world
1,080 Posts
to me this is all great fun i've got a bit of a track record for getting my self in far to much trouble with rockets ....well any thing that is either dangerous or goes bang so when i found an unexploded bomb a couple of mouths back and wanted to have some fun in a big field with it, didn't faze people to much:redface:
but i saw wisdom and called the bomb squad before any one gets arsey....... i let them have all the fun.:angel:
it's taken all this time to get the pictures of the little beasty off an old phone so here they are for the first time ever
kind regards john

Attachments

·
Custom User Title
292 Posts
Arghhhh, we used to half fill an old washing up liquid bottle with water, jam an old bicycle tyre valve in the little squirty hole and start pumping. Eventually, either the valve would pop out the bottle or the squirty hole bit would blast out. Either way, it would easily clear a house and you were guaranteed to get soaked.

Saw a tv programme doing similar, using 2litre fizzy drinks bottles and a 'hozelock' type coupling that held it all together till you pulled the release back and off it went.

Must say, I like the idea of launching a 'Polaris' from 10m down in Stoney :D
I've got one of those, IIRC I got it from Maplin, half fill the bottle, attach and pump away, release and let the border collie chase it all over the place, return and repeat :D

Got through 4 x 1 gallon containers of water in about an hour, dog was soaked and knackered :D

·
Custom User Title
292 Posts
mmmm thinking about it, one of these

one of these

and a set of regs and fun fun fun

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
to me this is all great fun i've got a bit of a track record for getting my self in far to much trouble with rockets ....well any thing that is either dangerous or goes bang so when i found an unexploded bomb a couple of mouths back and wanted to have some fun in a big field with it, didn't faze people to much:redface:
but i saw wisdom and called the bomb squad before any one gets arsey....... i let them have all the fun.:angel:
it's taken all this time to get the pictures of the little beasty off an old phone so here they are for the first time ever
kind regards john
john i hope that isnt the munitions i think it is lol!!! now that thing ya dont wana stick a pipe in the arse end of lol

·
Registered
464 Posts
Stu, it's all about the gaffer tape, the better seal you get, the further it will go!! Have had a coke bottle a good 30m in the air with a stirrup pump.

So.. it only goes on to think that a reg hose, with no reg, on a pony with a really good seal should fly like one oh.......

Have a load of spare gear at my mums, if we meet up at keefs some time soon there could be bottles everywhere. Will need bout a quarter kg on the end of the bottle so that the power doesn't spin the bottle, so to speak, and we could be away!! Do you reckon a stoney ban could be enforced by having no water and launching it from the box.... beats my 'blow up doll smb' idea hands down!!

May be better as a brainiac experiment, less chance of comeback. Will look into the physics and engineering and let you know though. Thinking bout it, wouldn't work from the box, too much water resistance!

p.s. ideas are for novelty/comedy value only (all in the head), if they should be used for tomfoolery and hijinx then the idiot typing is in no way responsible :teeth:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Oh the memories from years ago. My small rocket just kept going and going. I saw the puff barely when the chute released. That's what happens with the big motor in a little rocket. Never saw it come down. Another landed in a National Guard Armory. Might cause an incident today. That was about 40 yrs ago. I still have one rocket left. It's capable of carrying an egg or a mouse:) I think it will stay put away.

·
Another Random Diver
273 Posts
When i was much younger (and somewhat dumber), myself and a few mates built one of those multi engine rockets for a laugh. Loaded it with 5 of the D engines (or whichever was the biggest that Beatties sold at the time), took it out to Froggatt Edge along with a shoulder launch unit that was constructed for it. Then we let rip rather early one morning.

It went miles, it came down somewhere near to where it was meant to, and no-one was injured. Although the parachute sort of failed on it.

:D

Not to be recommended nowadays for reasons you can probably gather.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.