1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
2 plugs Parker
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Aladin Pro Ultra for sale
Air/Nitrox-50%
16 months old with 89% of battery life left (should be good for another 8.5 years)
Will come boxed with manual.
£180

·
2 plugs Parker
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Imported post

After a bit of suring I have now dropped the price to £150

Ali

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

Ali,

Put it on EBay, it'll go no problems there and you might get more than you expect.

·
2 plugs Parker
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Cheers, Mr Driftwood will look in to it. I have had a few people interested all ready from the diving clasifieds. Most people want to know if it is still for sale and then don't get back in touch!  
I'm sure it will go soon. I am only selling it as I need a computer that I can gas swich on.

Ali

·
2 plugs Parker
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

SOLD, to one very nice ebay user
Cheers Driftwood

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Just as an afterthought while we are on the subject of Aladin pros and my fingers are still burning. I recently had the misfortune of mine deciding to break down on me about 40mtrs under the Sound of Mull. "No problem" I thought." I know my last time, my Buhlmanns and I have my trusty back-up depth guage". This was the easy part.
  When I got back to the surface the 'pooter was making a funny clicking noise. Within 2-3 days I had the thing sent down to Scuba-pro with a letter telling them what happened and to 'phone me with a price. 8(yes 8) weeks later I recieved a call telling me the job was done and I owed them £70. "What was the problem?" I inquired. "It needed a new battery" the service bloke said. "But it had 60 odd percent in it". To which he replied "Ahh, yes that is when the batteries start to fail on them"
THIS WILL NOT DO(8 weeks and a 'phone call telling me I owe them £70 for a perfectly good battery) Needless to say I told them to remove the battery( In the secret hope a bit of customer service might just have the machine sent back up to me as I had told them to 'phone me with a cost b4 any work was carried out). Alas, this did not happen, when It came up the invoice said that the original £70 did not even include VAT
I posted on handbags and got a reply from a very nice man who told me to go to RS components(part # 593 489)and buy one for the princely sum of £5.08 + VAT. He also sent an idiots guide to doing it myself. This afternoon I did indeed do it myself(Sure the wife says that sometimes), hence the burnt fingers. Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy.
 Obviously I have still to discover whether It works or not, but for £70 + VAT I'm sure I could buy a reliable 2nd hand one.
   The moral of the story is a 'pooter with 60-70% may just break down any day. Scuba-Pro Hmphhh bastards
Peter

·
2 plugs Parker
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

I have just got a Vytec from Robinhood so when needed I will be able to use my Advanced Nitrox training to its full potential.
When discussing about the battery for the Aladin, I was told that even when the battery life is near 0% there is actually around 25% power left for saftey!

Ali

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

This may be true if the computer lasts that long, but the Scubapro technician told me that they tend to start failing around 60%
Petr

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

I'm using the standard grey issue Aladin Pro and it beeps at me all of the time after a dive and yet as you say I'm still in the 60's... 63% to be precise... I thought that I had nothing to worry about but it appears I do

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Tell you what, we worked out how to replace these batteries, we can't do it for free, but do you think people would be willing to pay say £40. It takes about 1/2 hour to do it and the batteries are about £6. Just an idea, feel free to shoot me down in flames. But it is a pain to do, ask PeterK

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

I think tips or some insight on how to do it might be more appreciated than a £40 charge andy.... call me silly but I thought that is what a place like YD is for, to share tips, tricks, experiences and so on to help each other out....

I'll wish you a merry xmas mate......

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

(Edited by peter k at 3:56 pm on Dec. 29, 2002)

·
2 plugs Parker
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

Getting a Vytec might be easyer. Or VR3 which I think uses a AA battery.

(Edited by Ali at 2:44 pm on Dec. 24, 2002)

·
Killed in the line of Duty. RIP.
173 Posts
Imported post

Get a Vyper, I'll have one for sale in the new year, by coincedence

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Hi Peter,it was little old me.

If anyone wants to know how to do it, Peter has posted the mail I sent, plus I have a source for the oil. I was not trying for business, more trying to help £70 PLUS TO DO THIS JOB IS REDICULOUS. It is however a miserable job. The only reason we would charge anything is because it would have to be done during working hours unless it was just the odd one. For what it is worth I am an electronics engineer, as well as young Nige who sits behind me.

Sorry if this was misunderstood.

Andrew

·
Registered
16 Posts
Imported post

I know a couple of people in our club who have the Aladin Pro, and it beeps continuously after the dive regardless of the battery state. Something to do with the water on the contacts, I think. They seem to have fixed it on the Aladin Pro Nitrox. I always take a spare dive timer, anyway.

Matt

1 - 18 of 18 Posts